Topic: Various questions from a new player  (Read 43121 times)

marginoferror

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2020, 03:45:00 AM »
More questions:

Can the player craft 'fine' clothing? Can the player craft 'fine' javelins? Is there any gameplay difference between fine cord and inferior cord (does fine cord tend to create better tasting dried cuts for example?) or does it only matter if you were to want to trade it? Has anyone done a fairly recent analysis of all of the damage protection profiles for various furs and leathers? Is there a crafting difference between winter fur and non-winter fur of the same animal type? I'd heard/read somewhere that winter bear fur is the best fur to make clothing out of, is that generally true? Is bear leather also the best leather? I can't imagine there's such a thing as 'winter leather', but just in case, is there?

If I put my dog on a 100 foot leash and tie him to a tree, will he use that 100 feet or will he stay within 1 hex of the tree?

I usually play a modded version of the game so the following is my best recollection of vanilla behavior.

I am not sure about clothing, but the player can indeed create 'fine' javelins, especially if using fine staves (which are based on your timbercraft skill to craft). Cord quality does not seem to impact food quality; however, it does impact the quality of other quality-bearing items crafted with cords such as bows.

There has been a lot of historical work on damage resistance and so forth but unfortunately I haven't found good documentation on exactly what versions were tested, so I don't know how up to date it is. To synthesize the most recent information I've read: bear fur is very protective, so if that's what you want, go for it, but there are some warmer furs. Winter furs should be warmer but I don't know about other qualities. There is no "winter leather" and I am not aware of any species differences in types of leather either.

I haven't observed any changes in animal behavior depending on the length of the leash, but admittedly I have not experimented with a 100 foot leash.

PALU

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
- You can't craft fine clothing, because clothing is crafted using the Common skill which has a fixed skill rating that's not sufficient to produce fine result.
- I have to correct marginoferror regarding javelins: You can indeed craft fine ones, but to do that you have to buy fine staves for your input material, as you can't make better than decent ones yourself, because the starting material is for staves is always decent, and the result quality can't exceed that.
- I'd expect the protective value of leather to follow that of the corresponding hide (apart from the cold protection, of course), but haven't got any data to back that up.

When crafting, input material can either influence the quality of the output, or explicitly be exempted from doing that, causing the result to instead be based on the other input materials (and other factors, such as tool impact, skill, penalties, etc). You'd have to look at each recipe to determine which input affects the result.

jonottawa

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »
- You can't craft fine clothing, because clothing is crafted using the Common skill which has a fixed skill rating that's not sufficient to produce fine result.
Aren't cords crafted using the Common skill?
As for fine staves, my Timbercraft is at 68, so when it hits 70 I'll test that myself.

Edico

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
You can only craft fine staves in modded versions. Highest craftable in vanilla is decent. You can get fine cords from fine cloth or better, and sometimes you can craft fine javelins if you can find fine/master work staves for sale. I believe it's easier to do so if you have the applicable master work tool, as it should add 10% skill to common. Also easier if you limit your penalties. I think the only reason you can get fine cords is because you're using fine or better cloth.

Winter fur doesn't add anything as far as protection. Fine/masterwork designation for clothing seems to increase protection for fur/leather/iron/chain, as to how much I'm not sure. My guess is value*1.25 and 1.5 respectively, rounded down. Wool/linen seem unaffected by those tags

Ara D.

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2020, 10:13:13 PM »
Small pointy things, knives, absolutely help you get out of broken ice, I can't remember where but I've seen a post where Sami mentioned it. And ya like you I would have started a fire, dropped all my gear except for knives for less weight and crawled out to the wolf. On a side note I'm more like to risk it for a wolf over an elk. Generally once established I have a good food stock pile and I am more interested in high value pelts.

jonottawa

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »
Small pointy things, knives, absolutely help you get out of broken ice, I can't remember where but I've seen a post where Sami mentioned it. And ya like you I would have started a fire, dropped all my gear except for knives for less weight and crawled out to the wolf. On a side note I'm more like to risk it for a wolf over an elk. Generally once established I have a good food stock pile and I am more interested in high value pelts.
I knew the ice wouldn't hold me, so crawling didn't make sense in this case. I wanted ALL of the ice to break, though, being unable to pull myself up onto the ice was the ONLY way I felt like I might die if I had a fire already built. I mainly dropped things so it would be easier to swim and I wasn't sure if the game didn't make you lose things in the water if you were at risk of drowning.

jonottawa

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
So far, on fine javelins, the limiting factor seems to be ordinary slender tree trunks, which seem to prevent you from making fine staves. I've noticed that there are (at least) 2 different types of logs, even though they're both called log. Can someone with really high timbercraft confirm that there is only 1 type of slender tree trunk? I've never seen them divide into groups.

Of course it's possible that even with a fine staff, you can't craft a fine javelin. The one time I tried, I created a regular javelin. And there was no failure message like there is with fur when you downgrade something. But maybe that failure message ONLY shows up in the case of fur?

marginoferror

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »
Of course it's possible that even with a fine staff, you can't craft a fine javelin. The one time I tried, I created a regular javelin. And there was no failure message like there is with fur when you downgrade something. But maybe that failure message ONLY shows up in the case of fur?

The failure message only shows up in the case of fur. Other crafted items, there is a message if you roll higher than the source material allows (you could have done better, but you can't make good out of bad) but no message if you roll lower than the source material allows.

PALU

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »
There's only one kind of slender trunk. It can also be noted that both the kinds or regular trunks->logs are of Decent quality. They differ only for the purpose of a particular quest.

Labtop 215

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2020, 12:23:21 AM »
So far, on fine javelins, the limiting factor seems to be ordinary slender tree trunks, which seem to prevent you from making fine staves. I've noticed that there are (at least) 2 different types of logs, even though they're both called log. Can someone with really high timbercraft confirm that there is only 1 type of slender tree trunk? I've never seen them divide into groups.

One tree trunk was cut down when it was raining (or perhaps snowing, although I don't think snow and rain are the same thing), and the other was cut down when it wasn't raining.

Ara D.

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2020, 03:28:32 PM »
There Is is a village request that specifies a trunk cut down while it's raining.

PALU

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »
There Is is a village request that specifies a trunk cut down while it's raining.
Snowing works as well. As far as I've been able to tell, the criterion is that there's precipitation when you finish the job. If it stops while you're working the log's no good for that particular purpose.

Plotinus

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »
For that quest I start one tree and get it almost all the way done and then i do other stuff around the village until it rains.

jonottawa

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:31 PM »
Confirming what the consensus here seemed to be, that you CAN craft a fine javelin if you start with a fine staff.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCjs4SGT/Screenshot-889.png

jonottawa

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2020, 08:56:38 PM »
Does using stale fat to tan a hide have any negative implications on the outcome? Does mixing bark and fat have any negative implications?

If I repair a masterwork piece of clothing, does it remain masterwork or is there a good chance that it loses its premium designation? If I have a pair of elk fur mittens, can I use any fur to repair them or will the game only allow me to use elk fur?

anything