Topic: Various questions from a new player  (Read 43115 times)

PALU

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »
Usually the whole group of 1, yes.

JEB Davis

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »
This is probably because the Advanced Adventures tutorial was created many game versions ago, back when Njerp camps were more common. It may have been adjusted to allow completion of the task.

JP_Finn

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »
Here's the map, with Njerp camp. It's actually between Koivula areas. Right by 2nd cabin. Guess I'll have to travel south again.

ineedcords

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2021, 09:58:13 PM »
Can you get randomly murdered in your sleep? Like theoretically, a fox could kill you if he found you asleep at a shelter, no?
Kind of a necro to provide a data point on one of the questions in the very first post in this thread: Yes, you can get killed randomly in your sleep by an animal.

It has happened to one of my characters in the butt-naked stage. Here is a Ancestors screen screenshot:

This was with 'Hurt, Helpless and Afraid' scenario, having spawned with not-much, I started collecting slender trunks, to produce javelins. At the end of the day I made a waterside shelter and slept there and I completely ignored the fresh bear tracks in the area (what can go wrong, right?).  Then I got a message saying that I have been killed (in my sleep). GG, I guess.

---
Edit: Just adding here another case, in case a new player sees this post... There is no protection in a "shelter" against bears/wolves etc. however in a wooden cabin, you will be protected from wolves etc. but there is one exception, bears can still open the door, let themselves in and then kill you.

This cabin invading bear event also happened to me in the past and also once more very recently but the last time I was in full dark green armour with 7 dogs around cabin and 3 bulls tied to me so it only got a chance to get killed very fast. I am adding a screenshot below.

Do note that, while I have a much larger cabin, in this instance, I decided to sleep in the tiny sauna which in hindsight was a mistake because due to the limited physical space inside invading bear's had the ability to block the door and still reach me while getting attacked by lesser number of my hairy companions.
Had I slept in the larger cabin and at least 2 tiles away from the door, bear would have to move away from door to attack me, unblocking the entrance, letting more of the 7 dogs (in addition to 3 bulls) attack him each turn which would have killed him even faster.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 10:07:42 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Plotinus

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
real life bears can open doors too. i heard on a podcast that in some town in Maine, USA they have an ordinance that you have to round door knobs, not handles, because of bears

ineedcords

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »
real life bears can open doors too. i heard on a podcast that in some town in Maine, USA they have an ordinance that you have to round door knobs, not handles, because of bears
Thanks, that's very interesting news to me. Just googled it and got this: https://www.doorstuff.co.uk/blog/canadian-bears-vs-door-handles/
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Galgana

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »
Incidentally, in this past week there's a video of a bear in New Hampshire opening a car door by using the handle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8caBz-igY&ab_channel=CBSBoston

Ara D.

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »
Sorry if this has been answered I only skimmed the post. No you can not rehabilitate a njerp dog. I killed a njerp on an island and ran off the dog. Days later I tracked down the dog it was no longer agro to me but I was still unable to leash it. Also I believe if you look back  through the dev post Sami mentions that dogs owned by npc adventurers can not be rehabilitated.