Availability and trading
You can acquire most fur on your own, by active hunting (hunting trips) or passive hunting (traps).
These fur-bearing animals provide fur:
- Sheep (wool)
- (Artic) Fox
There are five qualities for fur, arranged from best to worst:
- superior (150% value)
- fine (125% value)
- decent (100% value; just reads "fur" in-game, the average/default quality")
- harsh (50% value)
- ragged (0% value)
The values of furs for trading has no correlation with the usefulness of furs for player crafting. Fox fur is extremely valuable for traders in contrast to bear fur, which is the most protective of all furs.
Example: In v3.14 an inferior bear fur (21 lb) is less valuable than a normal fox fur (<1 lb) to foreign traders.
|Arctic fox||14a||0.8 lbs.||112||140|
|Grey Seal||22a||5 lbs.||176||35.2|
|Ringed Seal||20a||3 lbs.||160||53.33|
Items that require fur for crafting:
URW Game Encyclopedia description
The official URW in-game encyclopedia (accessed by the key) describes fur thusly:
Fur is mainly used in the winter-time when many pieces of clothing which are usually made of linen or wool are replaced by fur counterparts. Fur is mainly used to keep its' wearer warm but it can also give some considerable protection - although it's cumbersome to move about especially in very big, heavy fur garments.
Fur clothing items, fur items and other fur items in the game.
In-game encyclopedia entry on fur
- Cloth - General article on cloth materials and cloth items.
- Birch bark - General article on birch-bark materials and items.
- Leather - General article on leather materials and items.
- Linen - General article on linen materials and items.
- Nettle fiber - General article on nettle-fiber materials and items.
- Wool - General article on woollen materials and items.