Topic: "The Challenge"  (Read 4011 times)

koteko

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:57 PM »
But still the torches will burn down - do you make sure to always have one lighted torch on? I never noticed a feedback like "the torch will burn down soon" but arguably, I don't use them often..

Privateer

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
I'm 0/1 on this challenge, injuries to hands prevented making stone tools, found water on day 3 but had no means to break ice. Fell through ice to get a drink and froze to death..

caethan

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 08:10:28 PM »
But still the torches will burn down - do you make sure to always have one lighted torch on? I never noticed a feedback like "the torch will burn down soon" but arguably, I don't use them often..

Yeah, you get messages about 30 minutes before the torch burns out, so I just always kept a torch on. 

Míriel

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »
    Hi everyone, I've been trying The Challenge for a few days and I liked it very much. I was very lucky in my random character, only a little less than what I usually play with, she could walk at 6 km/h which is very good for me since I like to run big game to exhaustion also, the initial wounds weren't serious and I could make tools right away, even better, I started by a river so cleaning wounds and running big game against the not yet frozen river provided me with clothes fairly soon.
    What I really liked was that since I couldn't zoom out except in hills and such I had to memorize my surroundings and the location of my traps and shelters which is a very realistic challenge, and that I noticed I could play a whole life without meeting anyone and I would be fine, I wouldn't have clothes or tools above rough and crude quality but I could make a living (a very important realization since I couldn't find a single village in 120 days), also I used traps in large scale for the first time and it was exciting to find animals trapped in them and wonder if I could make them more efficient.
    In the end that was my undoing, a lynx was roaming around my traps to take the birds in it so I baited a big deadfall trap I made for a previous lynx doing the same and the next day it was caught I moved in to kill it with blunt blows and it clawed me into unconsciousness and death  :(, next time I'm going to stone them to death.   

SkullArrows

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
The Challenge is fucking insane, I did six runs recently.

First four attempts ended up dead due to thirst. Fifth time, I can't remember how I died. Sixth time, sixth time I lasted sixteen glorious weeks with only a leather cap on my head, dozens and dozens of bird traps that only yielded about one carcass every three days, drinking water from swamp puddles, and running from campfire to campfire trying to ease some heat into a human popsicle.

Eventually, it was just a death through attrition, as this swamp was just too wide with not enough game to sustain life. Not enough energy to do harder tasks as starvation sapped the strength and willpower even as an elk showed up during the last few days of life. A gamble to be patient and wait for smaller game that may never show up or risk using that last bit of energy to set a trap for an animal that may just have been passing through and already was long gone.

It has been my proudest and most memorable game yet.  ;D

Lurcolm1

• Not freezing to death is achieved by murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
Fuck it. Imma try this.

Jakob

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »
I like this challenge but some things become really tedious, picking berries and walking through spruce forests, for example. Would it be within the limits of the challenge to fast travel via the wilderness map if closing your eyes?