Topic: Flooding  (Read 7283 times)

Plotinus

« on: January 19, 2020, 11:40:11 PM »
I live near a river and every spring the water level rises quite high, it would flood if we hadn't built such a high bank around it. If it doesn't rain for a while, the water level drops.

It would be interesting if the areas of low elevation collected water after rains and the shores of the rivers changed. It would be dangerous to build your shelter too close to the river if it was raining a lot, you'd have to build on higher ground. Valleys between mountains would also flood suddenly if there was a lot of rain.

Mati256

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:48:45 PM »
That would be amazing, and I think they can keep track of this sort of things with new weather model implemented some time ago.

JEB Davis

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:39:02 AM »
That's a fabulous suggestion, Plotinus!

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:49:16 PM »
Great idea! I'm from Louisiana where hurricanes and the Mississippi river cause such flooding annually.  And, maybe that's why my cabins wind up on the high ground in the game, too...lol.

Edico

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »
I think just in general it would be nice to add not only this, but things to make water slightly more dangerous. Possibility of slipping and falling off raft etc. I can only imagine how hard to code it would be.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »
I think just in general it would be nice to add not only this, but things to make water slightly more dangerous. Possibility of slipping and falling off raft etc. I can only imagine how hard to code it would be.
i would like to see this too, it seems a little odd that my homemade raft handles just fine in ice-cold rapids with my Inferior paddle to steer it.  But I think this is already in the development goals.

ineedcords

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »
<cut>
It would be interesting if the areas of low elevation collected water after rains and the shores of the rivers changed. It would be dangerous to build your shelter too close to the river if it was raining a lot, you'd have to build on higher ground. Valleys between mountains would also flood suddenly if there was a lot of rain.
Great idea!
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »
I live near a river and every spring the water level rises quite high, it would flood if we hadn't built such a high bank around it. If it doesn't rain for a while, the water level drops.

It would be interesting if the areas of low elevation collected water after rains and the shores of the rivers changed. It would be dangerous to build your shelter too close to the river if it was raining a lot, you'd have to build on higher ground. Valleys between mountains would also flood suddenly if there was a lot of rain. [/quote]

Spring flooding is usual phenomena in Finland too, and rainstorm related flooding could occur as well. These would be interesting but would require lots of work to implement as water flowing had to be modelled in detail. Maybe we can think this after we (some day) manage to get the rivers really flowing so that it will have in-game effect.
- Sami | UnReal World creator