Topic: Winter Fur  (Read 5388 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: May 23, 2023, 09:43:59 PM »
Logically I would expect Winter Fur to be a higher Warmth value than non Winter Fur, is there any confirmation on this for clothing made of it?

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 07:47:01 AM »
Yes, clothes made from winter fur is warmer. You'll notice it more with bigger animals like bear or elk. I don't remember if the effect is visible for squirrel fur, but it might be. You can examine clothes in your inventory individually to see how warm they are.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 01:50:01 AM »
Yes, clothes made from winter fur is warmer. You'll notice it more with bigger animals like bear or elk. I don't remember if the effect is visible for squirrel fur, but it might be. You can examine clothes in your inventory individually to see how warm they are.

Cool, thanks. Makes me more sad that I cannot produce higher quality clothing out of higher quality furs.

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 06:49:04 AM »
You can always edit diy_glossary to use textilecraft, not common. Or give the COMMON 20% skill increase.

Plotinus

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 12:43:45 PM »
the clothing you produce will still be warmer than summer fur clothing, even though the quality will still be listed as decent (unless you make the edits JP_Finn suggests).

In real life, it would take a month or more to sew a high quality coat by hand. It's faster with a sewing machine (which your character doesn't have access to) but still takes an unbelievable amount of time. You can spend an entire day just getting the pins in place so the fabric won't move around while you're sewing it. But in the game it's not yet implemented that a task could take a month and be put down and picked up again.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 05:01:40 PM »
You can always edit diy_glossary to use textilecraft, not common. Or give the COMMON 20% skill increase.

Mine is empty cuz I'm using BAC lol, I don't know what's supposed to live in this file to be honest. But I imagine the pieces that may be relevant here are in the BAC textilecraft/armor/clothing files! I think they're already changed by it. I just haven't managed to produce anything that doesn't suck lol

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 05:29:09 PM »
To be able to make ‘fine’ items the skill +- modifier of the crafting recipe needs to be 40, to get ‘masterwork’/‘superior’ items the threshold is 70. And of course there’s a RNG/dice roll for success. You’ve seen the “can’t make good out of bad” prompts: those are from succeeding your roll, but the base material limits the output.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 06:33:54 PM »
To be able to make ‘fine’ items the skill +- modifier of the crafting recipe needs to be 40, to get ‘masterwork’/‘superior’ items the threshold is 70. And of course there’s a RNG/dice roll for success. You’ve seen the “can’t make good out of bad” prompts: those are from succeeding your roll, but the base material limits the output.

So as an example here,

Code: [Select]
.Leather laced shoes. "Leather shoes" [effort:2] [phys:arms] *HIDEWORKING* /90/ %20%
That would still only produce maximum of decent quality, but if it were %40% it could do fine?

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 11:12:31 PM »
That *HIDEWORKING* calls your characters hideworking skill. The %20% adds 20pts to your characters skill. So with skill 20, you have a slim chance of getting fine shoes; when crafting from fine or superior leather. With skill 50, your character has a slim chance of getting, masterwork shoes, IF crafting from superior leather. Somewhere around 50-60 combined skill (not sure) you won't get any harsh products. (except if using harsh materials)

and that /90/ is the time, in minutes, it takes for the recipe to finish.

If you'd add [noquality] tag on a recipe ingredient, that would allow lower level to produce higher level goods. Apart from timber, I'd say that's cheating. But it's your game, play as you want to.

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 07:00:52 AM »
IIRC [noquality] only stops harsh and crappy things from reducing the quality.

It does need the skill boost to make a higher item.

Hmmm the BAC Smithing has a "refine" iron step where you spend time reworking iron to make not so crappy.

Tinker

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 10:22:43 AM »
The BAC smithung refine iron does have some drawbacks, the first being it will pick the best quality you have in your inventory or on the ground. The second  thing  is the skill level can produce ppoor or inferior items, even from a fine input. You need to be careful to only have low quality. inputs on or near you

JP_Finn

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 06:30:24 PM »
IIRC [noquality] only stops harsh and crappy things from reducing the quality.
--snip

[noquality] allows you to make Fine ski stick: 1st ingredient is {Slender trunk}(always decent) and other item is {Leather}[noquality]
I've never used fine or superior leather to craft ski sticks. Yet I get Fine with Fine axe. Above the quality level of used material.

Also, it's not visible recipe, but you can make Perfect boards from (decent) trunks with good enough skill and Fine Woodsman's or Fine Splitting axe. Above the level of ingredient or tools.
And getting Superior skins with Fine Broad knife. The list goes on.

JP_Finn

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 06:38:21 PM »
The BAC smithung refine iron does have some drawbacks, the first being it will pick the best quality you have in your inventory or on the ground. The second  thing  is the skill level can produce ppoor or inferior items, even from a fine input. You need to be careful to only have low quality. inputs on or near you

The issue is likely using a * wildcard on the {requirement}, one way to force selection is to add (1) [ask_num] on that ingredient line.
E.g.
Code: [Select]
.Travel soup. *COOKERY* /30/  \45\ %20% :148: 
{* cut}  (3)[ask_num]'Piece of meat' [remove] [boil]  [name:%s meat travel soup]

That allows you to use dried, smoked, "raw", spoiled(still get you barfing) cut of any animal, without the (3) you could overfill the pot, and without the [ask_num] the recipe would pull any cut nearby, then under you, then from top down in the inventory. Without the [name:], raw meat soup would come out oddly named, it'd drop the 'X travel soup' and be simply 'pot of elk'

Matti-patti

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2023, 11:25:09 AM »

Doesn't seem to actually be a thing, almost got existed since it would have meant less "hunt the rare piece of fine/masterwork clothing from Driik/Reemi shops" for optimal winter wear (especially for the smaller characters).

Tested by creating a pair of new Owl tribe characters in 3.80, one in autumn and one in winter and then hunting and skinning an elk. Fine elk winter fur (hunted in Dirt month) made into clothing with decent yarn bought from shop resulted in elk fur clothing with warmth of 5. Decent elk fur (hunted in Harvest month) made into clothing with decent store bought yarn resulted in elk fur clothing with warmth of 5. I verified both were actually 5 (rather than 4 as yellow means both 4 and 5 on the armour coverage screen) by seeing that both produced 8 (dark green) when overlapping with linen clothing.

So you'll still need to get those fine+ generic fur mittens, footwear and hood from shop for your winter clothing. For the rest, furs are at best temporary solution even if fine, since they are weight inefficient for warmth when compared to even regular quality wool/linen/nettle clothing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:27:42 AM by Matti-patti »

Plotinus

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 08:02:27 AM »
Thanks for looking into it! Maybe it's changed over the years. I'd be interested in a trial with bear fur, too.

anything