Topic: My first bear.  (Read 12272 times)

Fahom

« on: May 23, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »
So its been a long time since i first played URW, i first found it by the end of 2015 and the game quickly got a special place in my heart, well anyways, i found a printscreen i took when i killed my first bear after some weeks of playing and wanted to share it with you guys <3.

So many good memories :')

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 03:35:59 AM »
Ahh one's first bear. Your character seems to be out in the frosty snow. A trusted companion Reindeer with you. The vast wilds.

What was everyone else's most memorable bear?

Well mine comes from the tale of Beodrin.

His story began with the tragic death of his father on a hunting trip. The random generated creature.... a bear!!  :o

It gets better. We were on an island! The man killing bear, dead dad and me.

At his point in my gaming and modding I thought you could only use leather to make rope. Rope to make a raft. To get off the island. To escape the man killer bear.

Now where could I get leather?
Oh oh.
There is only one source.
The bear that killed my dad!

For weeks I lived on the southern part of the island. The bear ruled the north. On one daring dash I recovered dad's gear.

I learned to sleep surrounded by traps. Fences, too, later learning man and bear alike could easily kick them down.

When a night's sleep was interrupted with "you think you hear something nearby" oh spirits was I worried!

There was only so many berry bushes on the island. Both me and the bear were eating them.

Finally I had enough leather from small game to make one, not three, ropes. So I made a the three tree trunk bear killer.

Coming back later indeed the bear had gotten into the trap. Alive. Angry. Roaring.

I tossed my three javelins for minor wounds. I tossed rocks and stones. I tossed many things. Where I could I went close to toss them again. Again and again I tossed things at the father killer. All the while the risk of it escaping the trap growing.

Perhaps my father's spirit was there. Holding the trap down on the bear.

After an arc of the sun the bear fell unconscious from dozens of minor wounds and blood loss. Most of bleeding wounds had even stopped bleeding.

Cautiously creeping forward the death stabs to the neck were made.

The bear died soon.

I had, I thought, to turn the bear into leather. So Beodrin lived a few weeks more on Bear Island to dehair the hide. Finally the raft was made and he sailed onto greater adventures. Before his death becoming known as Beodrin Two Bears, who killed two bears and wore them both. Yes he wore his father's killer. As leather armor. Ah, but those are stories for another day.

Wolfric Thorsson

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »
I can't possibly remember my first bear... that was so long ago now! But if we're talking most memorable, that's much easier.

I'd just started a new playthrough, less than an hour in. I'd been chasing and hunting an elk for most of that time, but lost its trail when night fell. Waking up in the morning, my provisions running low, I set out to find somewhere to make camp... and found a small bear in the middle of a clearing.

As soon as I took a single step in its direction, it looked at me and roared... I thought it was either going to run away, or worse, charge me. Armed as I was with nothing more than a handaxe, I expected it to be a tough fight... but the beast thought little of the pathetic human facing it down - it immediately fell asleep!!!

Hiding and creeping forwards, the spirits were obviously looking over me, my footfalls as silent as a cats... the bear oblivious to my approach, as I stood by its side... axe held high...

It's eyes went wide as the edge of my weapon bit cleanly into the back of its neck, but the deed had been done... the mighty beast decapitated in one decisive swing.

What's better, I was recording at the time ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:09:59 PM by Wolfric Thorsson »

Bakkat

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:57:57 PM »
Good, Fahom. Not even a single injury did you got. That's quite cool, mostly when i remember all the human blood i've flooded out near bears, lol.
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »
I was originally surprised that the Bear Hunting Ritual required dog fur gloves. It was only after I hunted a bear with my pet dog I understood where the dog pelts come from to make the gloves.

KaumoHunter

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
I was originally surprised that the Bear Hunting Ritual required dog fur gloves. It was only after I hunted a bear with my pet dog I understood where the dog pelts come from to make the gloves.

Haha! I like hunting bears with 4-5 dogs. Often they take the Big Man of the Forest down without taking a single wound. A coordinated pack of dogs is really a fearsome weapon.

Varmin

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 01:54:44 AM »
i just spawned, i think i did the not all who wander are lost start 2 tiles down there was a bear so I dropped everything tied up pig and charged the bear with an axe in each hand i think i only got a bruise

JP_Finn

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 06:39:36 AM »
i just spawned, i think i did the not all who wander are lost start 2 tiles down there was a bear so I dropped everything tied up pig and charged the bear with an axe in each hand i think i only got a bruise

Speed+Agility = Dodge.
And keep your thumbs up (that’s the Finnish version for ‘fingers crossed’)

I spawned Janne Sartolainen with Unfortunate hunting trip. Spring start (always) Rough hunting knife, MW linen tunic and MW trousers, like whaaaat? I put points in knife, unarmed and bow, carpentry, hideworking. Track down the bear. Throw a rock at it. It aggroes. Charges. Throw another rock. Third. Step back. Slash with the knife for puny hit. Dodge. Slash again, miss. Dodge, nope. Mauled. Stand up, mauled again. Slash, miss. Dodge, nope: dead.

LOL. And my other guys have taken several bears with no issues or minor wounds.

Teppo *1, started in spring too. Went to help wounded adventurer, bear, boom.  Ended up with both elbows busted at 81% wounds. He survived that and has killed 3 more bears since. He lives still though (I’m running Taneli *2 at the moment)

*1 good sized dude, 223lbs, specced for sword, shield, spear. Managed to loot and trade for nearly full metal set. Well, full, not 100% condition. 4 bears.

*2 pretty decent size at 190ish lbs, specced for knife, axe, bow, carpentry x2 (those fine/superior arrows.... mmm hmmm....) only MW spectacle helmet and boar leather cuirass so far. Looted 9lbs lamellar shin guards, not using them, not worth the penalty really. 2 bears.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:43:42 AM by JP_Finn »

paulkorotoon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 12:51:25 PM »
And keep your thumbs up (that’s the Finnish version for ‘fingers crossed’)
Thanks, remembered!
Biggest Russian UrW fan

anything