Topic: Capture dog in the wild?  (Read 6092 times)

Tom H

« on: March 08, 2020, 08:33:01 AM »
I've come across a dog running free in some mires. A while back I fought with, and killed, a Njerp and wounded his dog, which fled. I'm wondering, first, if this is that same dog.

Secondly, the dog allows me to approach it but it 'barks disagreement' when I try to put a rope on it. It also will not eat any meat I offer it. I've talked to it but get no options.

Has anyone yet had an event like this? Is it possible to recruit/capture the dog? I've saved my game, hoping that someone has some advice on this. Thanks!

Tom H

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 05:44:26 AM »
No one has had a like experience? Ah well...

StefanPravda

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
You can only capture dogs inside villages. I have read it somewhere here or on the wiki.

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 06:18:32 AM »
Thankee, Stefan!

StefanPravda

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 11:14:56 AM »
You are welcome mr. sir.

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
There is a conclusion to this event.

I went back to the game where the dog was still running around me. I wondered if he'd follow me home and started the trek back. After a while he took off going the opposite way, so I hit 'Enter' and went to the strategic map.
NOW, as I look back, I see a man. When I go to him the dog is running around him and there's a bloodsign on the ground nearby. I check his inventory and see that has fox fat and 4 fox cuts. Evidently, the dog was with the hunter, who was previously distantly stalking a fox while his dog was stressing about me and my pack of animals.

So, it's not the Njepr's dog. It's interesting that the hunter's dog had wandered so far from his master.

StefanPravda

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 09:42:02 PM »
Lol, next time get on a tree maybe you can see the hunter. Good to know.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
it sometimes IS useful to climb on a tree!

I'd love to see stranger dogs becoming your companions by feeding or helping them with injuries though...

Galgana

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 06:07:30 AM »
You can only capture dogs inside villages. I have read it somewhere here or on the wiki.

I tried this with a fortified village that had four dogs and six head of cattle. After eliminating all the human residents, I was successful at leashing the cows in the pen but not the dogs; the dogs bark in disagreement and either flee or retaliate by attacking.

I checked the news text file and the behavior I described does correspond with this particular detail from version 3.30:
- added: leashing animals from depopulated villages

It's now possible to leash animals from depopulated villages, and thus make them your
        own pets. There are some risks and exceptions, though. Sometimes domestic animals choose to
        fight back if their masters are dead and you try to leash them. And dogs can't be
        stolen this way at all - they always fight back rather than allow to be put on the leash.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 06:44:16 AM »
Just found a dog in one of my deadfall bear traps, with a fire and fox bones next to it. Seems like an NPC hunter found a fox in my fox trap that was in the same place; cooked it; while he was doing that his dog got entrapped; and then he took off, leaving his dog in the trap! Nice guy. (I set the dog loose).

anything