Topic: Fishing in 3.7  (Read 3604 times)

Chrisbobb

« on: December 13, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »
Has fishing gotten more difficult in 3.7? I had a character with incredibly strong fishing skill and did rituals but consistently got no fish for days. Is there bait that works or doesn’t work?

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 11:24:21 PM »
From my brief experience you can bait from cuts to leaves and have some success.

Seemed pretty much anything you can eat (didn't try spoiled) has a chance.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Arimon

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »
My experience so far:

- Rod with iron hook: use rye bread to catch roatchlings, then use roatchlings to catch bigger predator fish like pike. You need a bait, I had very limited success without
- Spear fishing: can be quite reliable (with good fishing skill), I got pike most of the time (probably depends if you fish at a river or lake)

But I have to say, that both methods are quite inconsistent. Sometimes I got 3 or 4 big fish in a row and then I couldnt catch any for days.

Therefore get a net as soon as possible. Build a raft and set the net in deep water. Only check after 1 day has passed (if you set the net in the morning, check the net at late morning of the next day), but not later than 2 days or otherwhise all caught fish will be dead. Most of the time I got multiple fish every day for weeks.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 11:47:28 AM »
I believe the net fishing logic changed a few years back. It used to be that waiting too long would result in all fish being dead, but I believe it was changed so fish died over time, possibly base on when they entered the net.

When I've used net fishing (which I haven't in the new version) I tried to alternate between checking nets in the morning and in the evening to get approximately 1½ days in between the checks.

While I've had a rather limited experience with active fishing in the new version, I've had problems with it being an all or nothing affair, i.e. either you get nothing (most of the time) or you get a single large fish. This makes it difficult to sacrifice fish, as you don't really want to sacrifice the single salmon you caught after 3 days. While I did fish I tried to sacrifice the last bit of a roasted fish (so the amount was about the same as a cut of meat or less), but I've seen it said that sacrifices of prepared food went to the spirits of the forest, not the waters...

Chrisbobb

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »
Thanks everyone, sounds as if it is somewhat more realistic, if not too far over to the difficult side.

anything