Topic: Herding animals  (Read 2481 times)

Chrisbobb

« on: December 26, 2021, 09:13:26 PM »
Can Youn herd animals from the large map? I have a trap fence along a narrow strip of land. I want to herd animals into it, and am not sure if it can be done from the larger map, and if so, how far away I can be for them to notice me.

MrMotorhead

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
I don't know this for sure, but I strongly suspect that animals don't react to your character when moving in the zoomed out map.  My reasoning is based on several incidents where my character has zoomed in and encountered animals at very short range, sometimes within 3 tiles in open terrain.  They will immediately flee, so how did my character get so close to them?  Many times I have zoomed into the middle of a reindeer herd, with animals on every side, always worried this will happen with a wolf pack.

In general animals will flee from my character within 60 feet (~20 meters) if there is clear line of sight.  It's certainly possible to herd animals on the zoomed in map.  I have often used this strategy when there is thin ice.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 10:03:37 AM »
I've seen nothing indicating animals react to you on the world map. As others have mentioned, you can scare animals away from you somewhat in the direction you want, with a reasonable rate of success, so you can drive them towards trap fences.

Chrisbobb

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 01:09:13 AM »
Thanks! That all makes sense, but I wanted to see if it worked