Topic: [Fixed, persists in 3.52] All forest reindeer are does, no stags  (Read 8803 times)

Plotinus

« on: November 22, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
I have been noticing this for a while. Whenever you encounter forest reindeer, use F3 to look at them. There are does and calves but no stags. I haven't seen a single forest reindeer stag since gender was implemented. I have seen both reindeer stags  and does for sale in northern villages.

Also I have never seen a baby hare  but I haven't encountered enough hares to be sure that I just haven't got lucky yet; after all it took me many games to see a single bear cub and it may be the same with hares. But I have encountered hundreds of forest reindeer by now and all of them have been female.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:26:11 PM by Sami »

Tom H

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »
I didn't pay attention at the time whether they were designated as stags, but, I've collected a lot of deer antlers.  I've seen what's described as LARGE hares, which may be how they differentiate the sizes/ages. Seen many cubs with moms. Maybe just rng, eh?

PALU

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
Reindeer differs from elks in that both genders have antlers, so collection of reindeer antlers doesn't actually tell us anything. I haven't paid attention to the gender (they're walking stores of meat regardless), but may start to look out for it. I've never seen either bear cubs or baby hares, though, but I avoid bears when possible.

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 01:34:07 AM »
When I first began playing and still thought it wise to fight bears, I encountered my first cub when I tracked the killer animal in the 'Unfortunate Hunting Trip'. I killed mom and her cub. I have, since would up fighting mom and a cub twice more. But, I've learned that it's a lot safer trapping them than fighting them (since a large poppa bear 0ne-shotted me!) so I have not hung around to see if a cub was with those I've run into.

Míriel

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
I've noticed the same, even the lone reindeer are does, never stags. I've also never seen young for the smaller animals but I'm not sure they were added.

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »
I have seen one bear cub but only the one. Probably rng like you guys said.

notes.txt mentions hares:

- added: young animals

Cubs and calves have been added for relevant wild animal species eg. elks, bears, reindeer and hares.
        In case of large species ie. elks and bears, the young ones usually remain with their mothers in the wild for
        a year or two before becoming independent. So now you may occasionally encounter an elk mother wandering
        together with her calf, or a bear mother followed by her cub. Mother animals may act more unexpectedly or
        aggressively than usual when they're still taking care of their young ones -- and that's especially true in
        case of bears.

Maybe just the rng but I haven't seen a baby hare or a forest reindeer stag yet and it's been almost a year since it was implemented.

Khripunoff

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »
I played about 20 characters, saw lots of forest reindeer, in herds and lonely, never saw a stag, only does. Also one of my characters was lucky enough to spot a large wild pig sounder, about 10, all were sows, not a single boar. Maybe it's the RNG, maybe it's related to the fact that both reindeers and pigs come in two versions, domesticated and wild, so maybe the wild versions of those two's genders are bugged.
The black grouse gains tactical advantage to strike back immediately!

Bedlam

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 06:42:33 PM »
I'm also seeing only does/sows in my games. Can't be RNG.
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0

Saiko Kila

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »
Stags were renamed bull elks simply.

PALU

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 05:25:32 PM »
As far as I understand, the discussion is about reindeer and wild boars (i.e. sows), nor elks. Both genders of elks are definitely present (my character sees one of each in the distance most every day, as I haven't bothered to try to hunt them, and both of them have stayed in their respective general area for months).

Frostbit

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
I ran onto a wild boar a few days ago. He was alone just like in previous versions.

Saiko Kila

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
I see.

Yes, I also don't have identifiably male forest reindeer. I don't know if they would be even named "stag", or maybe "bull", but they are missing in the herds. The only "stags" now are some of these domesticated reindeer from the north (not "forest"). It seems as if only does and calves varieties are present amongst forest reindeer. Maybe it's only a naming bug, and some of the does are bulls.

As for boars, they were always kind of rare to me, just like sows. I've seen only two wild sows, separate, in current version, and no wild boars. But this may be just a small sample.

EDIT: I've encountered a wild boar and checked them, and they are treated as different species entirely (just like in the past) - they are also technically females (or default gender, which is female), though it doesn't mean anything in practice, because they don't have offspring anyway. As a side note, they are not only bigger than wild sows on average, but their meat is more nutritious and expensive.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:42:49 PM by Saiko Kila »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 02:04:30 PM »
I have been noticing this for a while. Whenever you encounter forest reindeer, use F3 to look at them. There are does and calves but no stags. I haven't seen a single forest reindeer stag since gender was implemented. I have seen both reindeer stags  and does for sale in northern villages.

Also I have never seen a baby hare  but I haven't encountered enough hares to be sure that I just haven't got lucky yet; after all it took me many games to see a single bear cub and it may be the same with hares. But I have encountered hundreds of forest reindeer by now and all of them have been female.

Checking out the code, it seems like forest reindeer gender is never created anywhere, so they all are does - as default. So it's something I've forgot to add, or misplaced in the heat of coding. To be fixed...

Fixed - persists in 3.52
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:26:28 PM by Sami »
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything