Topic: Paddles as weapons  (Read 10619 times)

Bärentill

« on: November 05, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
It is quite bad that you cannot use a paddle to defend yourself since the paddle is the weapon of choice for any fisherman. If the player's character is wielding a paddle it is even worse, because taking off the paddle to equip a weapon will waste a whole turn while the attacker can still go on. On the other hand you can fight with something like a rock which isn't exactly a weapon, but you cannot fight with a paddle which has a much longer range and tends to be a better club than a rock.

This seems to be quite irrealistic.

spamgoose

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
Same goes for a shovel.

I suspect it's about balancing the tool vs weapon areas in the inventory.

PoisonPen

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:30:20 PM »
In Cataclysm:DDA any object in the game can be used as a weapon to greater or lesser effect.  One of the more entertaining things to do is to beat a zombie to death with a cheese sandwich, a pair of socks, or a dildo.  I think it makes a lot of sense to be able to wield any object as a weapon, though of course you should get rather large penalties trying to bludgeon a Njerp with a dead grouse or a pail of milk.

JEB Davis

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:41:07 AM »
And yes, we should be able to cut down the largest tree in the forest with... an herring!

Mati256

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »
Yes, I would love this feature. In many occasions I have needed a close range weapon and found I had only a bow and a paddle equipped. Also, It makes sense.

LoLotov

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
Love paddles as weapons cause you carry one more often, but shovels would be way more badass improvised weapons, all three attack characteristics, at least for the metal ones...
Iiiiii juuuuust want to set the woooooooorld onnnn fiiiiiiiiireeeeeee.... Iiiiiiii don't want to start a flame in your heeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrt.
And with your admissiiiiion you feeeeel the same, I'llllll have reached the goaaaal I'm dreamiiiing offfff, believe meeeeee

PoisonPen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:14:41 AM »
When I'm finished with the mod I'm currently working on, I've been considering adding some new tools which perform multiple roles (but not as well as specialized single-purpose tools) if I can figure out how to do it.  For instance, an adze which would be both broad axe and shovel, but doesn't count as a sharp tool for harvesting and makes a poor weapon.  Or a shoulder saw which acts as a woodsman's axe and carving axe.  Or a mattock which can be used as a good two-handed weapon, but also acts as a splitting axe.  And so on.  I like the idea of being able to mix-and-match tools according to need, preference, skill, and weight.

shorun

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:58:38 AM »
all three attack characteristics, at least for the metal ones...

google "chinese army shovel".

we need that.

anything