Topic: Unworthy trade items  (Read 4009 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: March 31, 2022, 07:33:00 AM »
How the heck is dried meat unworthy of a trade?! It's supposed to be the major medium of trade that I as a starting character can get! I trap animals an dry the meat and then the bloody villages won't take it, so how the heck am I supposed to trade?!

Isauros

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 10:11:34 PM »
If you're buying something relatively valuable, then a villager might reject the item if your offering them a low quantity. Offered goods need to meet a minimum proportion of the value of the items your buying. So they might reject 5 elk cuts, but accept 30 or 100. If you're buying a large quantity of items then the offered goods are going to have to come in fairly large increments as well as you try and match the desired value the NPC wants.

What are you trying to buy?

Bakkat

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 03:19:54 AM »
I think that's a key element, yes.
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

GrimmSpector

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 08:47:10 AM »
If you're buying something relatively valuable, then a villager might reject the item if your offering them a low quantity. Offered goods need to meet a minimum proportion of the value of the items your buying. So they might reject 5 elk cuts, but accept 30 or 100. If you're buying a large quantity of items then the offered goods are going to have to come in fairly large increments as well as you try and match the desired value the NPC wants.

I was trying to buy an axe and a bag of salt. And unfortunately because my cuts are mainly from smaller game, they don't stack, I've dozens of stacks of 2 or 3. So what I'm hearing is that small game is worthless for trade due to how stacking works.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »
Not exactly worthless, but definitely much harder to use, yes. If you were to buy something reasonably inexpensive, such as e.g. seeds, the value of your small stacks may be sufficient to reach an acceptable portion of the price. A single squirrel skin can probably be bought with small stacks as well.

It can also be noted that stacking works in both directions, i.e. a stack that isn't sufficiently valuable to be usable in a trade for an axe AND a bag of salt might still be usable in a trade against either object alone.

However, both axes and salt are expensive, so dozens of stacks of 2-3 probably wouldn't be enough anyway.

But yes, small stacks of low value food aren't particularly useful for trade. Skins are much more useful for that purpose.

Isauros

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »
A bag of salt is also one of the more expensive things you buy in game. It must be worth dozens of squirrel furs.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 07:58:45 PM »
A bag of salt is also one of the more expensive things you buy in game. It must be worth dozens of squirrel furs.

Yeah I think I ended up trading an elk fur for just that. Now that I have the salt, the amount used to make things, I'm unsure if it's worth it.

Isauros

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 06:12:35 PM »
I don't think salt is particularly useful unless you're rich in furs in which case it's saves you from having to smoke which is a tedious process.

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 10:33:09 AM »
One disadvantage is that the salt spoils...

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 10:55:32 AM »
One disadvantage is that the salt spoils...
One villager was ready to sell his handaxe, and another the broadhead arrows, but wanted to keep his shortbow.
Ownership should be: (these are not for sale)

Fur shirt
Fur leggings
Fur shoes
Fur hood
Fur mittens
Fur cap
Woollen undershirt
Woollen leggings / trousers
Woollen mittens
Woollen socks

Villagers:
Knife
Axe

With hunters also:
Bow and arrows
Loopsnare
Net
Fishingrod

This should be:
- A worse substance is agreed to be exchanged for a better one.
- The villagers give the surplus to whoever needs it, or take it to the house among the others for sale.

- If you let a villager suggest an item to exchange, he might choose the clothes you're wearing. Therefore, it should be possible to mark the clothes and equipment that you don't give in the barter.

- Moving by pointing with the mouse. (no need to always keep pressing the key)
- The small knife does not seem to have a significant place, so decoration and carving work back, and the value of wooden objects increases if they are decorated. At the same time, spending free time becomes more meaningful. (shaping the bone into a fishing hook was already a good idea)

And those enemies... You can't go to the village because they will attack. It would be good if there were more enemy tribes, and if there were more land.

Although there are flaws, the game is still one of the best I've played.

Bakkat

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 10:34:27 PM »
Taking out the money currency exchange
Some have tried to apply one (or more) of exchange currency.

Arrow is the most common/knowdlagable item that people have tried to biuld the numeric
maths, turning it into some sort of coin or bill.

So an arrow weights relatively low and also, it is an item that is pretty common thoughout all the UnrealWorld.
Every culture, even the hostiles, uses them, craft them and they are everywhere, Like money, right?

Anyhow, beyond 14 arrows beeing roughly equal to "X roasted slices" or "X number of hare fur" for example.

Imagine you've want to trade three rough arrows for a fine arrow - OR a broadhead arrow for 4 plain arrows.

The thing is that if you want a bag of salt, which is an incredible source of power, you can try to exchange it for, let's say, 200 poor rough arrows. But who would consider rough arrows when the trader wants a bag of salt!

So instead the player can drop some more according items: "I'll give you this common spear from the north, add these leather skins and..." Well, you're getting QUITE closer to seal the deal. How can the player get that bag? Handing over 7 broad-head arrows.

Now, If the palyer offers 10 torches, some wooden little crafts and 40 roasted/smoked/salted... Well, try 80, 120 pieces of meat. Hmmm.. it gets awkward...

Anyhow. There have been many efforts in getting to know the value of the items in an "exact" number. So, knowing the "value" itself of each item the game has is something we all get better time to time. Your question is interesting.

Finally, I strongly believe we sometime have to lose. Overpay, or undersale, if that makes any sense in this language.
I get happy, with certain characters, when delivering lots of "gifts" (food, little mushrooms, certain items) just for the sake of common empathy. Not really thinking that if They like the gifts, they will sell cheaper, for example.
Sometimes you'll pay more. But the price is not fixed, it has not to be. How valuable could be a pinch of heather when you really need it? Okay, I don't want to do philosophy either. Like how much is a glass of water in the desert kind of stuff.
I still like the fact that no money, coins, or currency system is in-game. That's beyond any words.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 10:55:28 PM by Bakkat »
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

domathjav69

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 08:28:47 AM »
 ::) ::)

Ezhe

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 12:30:43 PM »
If you are buying a very expensive ware, a single dried meat is not accepted as one bid, because the value of one dried meat is too low compared to the ware you want to buy. You need to bid several dried meats each time, in this way the value of them is high enough as one bid.