Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 340977 times)

Brygun

« Reply #690 on: January 11, 2021, 06:12:42 PM »

Is there a reason there are two menus of creating the same woollen clothing? Which is better to keep?

Which menus do you mean?

Brygun

« Reply #691 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »
I'll note, first, that everything in the Metalworking + Forging menus fits into one menu.

I opened up character Novrus to check this concern.

Metalworking in the current version already goes to the letter "O" so that can't be true. IIRC that is the last letter that the UI can display. 1-9, 0, A - O is all that fits.

Also my current copies dont have duplicates of woolen menus.

I suspect something is out or order with your install. Recommend moving all your existing diy_* to a subdirectory then doing a fresh install of the BAC.

It could be in your editing that a category tag was damaged. The file would read the previous category assigning the menu item to both.

rudy

« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2021, 09:46:29 PM »
Regarding the Ironworking/forging, what I meant was that you could take everything from those two menus and fit them into one menu, thus saving space.

diy_BAC_Weaving has:
[SUBMENU_START:Woollen Garments]

and

diy_BAC_Knitting has:
[SUBMENU_START:Knitting]

Both of these submenus contain full lists of woolen garments to create, duplicates.

rudy

« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »
Just updated from v111 to v117 to see if that made a difference; it did not.

Note that metalworking has 9 things in it.

And opening up diy_BAC_Metalworking.txt from the v117 download in the first post (which I've also attached here), you can indeed see that there are only nine recipes in that menu.

rudy

« Reply #694 on: January 11, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
I also just noticed that the same file (freshly downloaded from the OP, unedited by me) has

[SUBMENU_START:Metalworking]

but

[SUBMENU_END:Ironworking]

where both should be Metalworking.

They seem to work correctly on my install, but I wonder if that is causing any of the difference between what we are seeing?

Brygun

« Reply #695 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:00 AM »
In regards to rudy

>>>

Confirm overlap in Knitting and Woolen garments, will look into that.

>>>>

There is an error in rudy's metalworking.

BAC metalworking in my list goes to "O" for "steel dome"

See the attached jpg

Ill review my sets here as well.

Brygun

« Reply #696 on: January 12, 2021, 04:29:40 AM »
So forging-metalworking has a submenu error and might be mergeable.

Debating that.

>>>

The wool issue is confirmed duplication pending resolution

Brygun

« Reply #697 on: January 12, 2021, 04:41:08 AM »
Debating on the woolen vs knitted

Reading the files the intent is abit different. The knit menu is creating turning the woolen yarn into a woven 'sheet' garment. Meanwhile the Woolen menu seems more about grabbing existing pieces of wool, cutting big pieces then joining them together.

Unlike leather which comes as often large sheets from an elk (at times small pieces form birds) the wool needs extensive time knitting to make a sheet of wool.

I believe that is the intended difference. Once it is knitted it is much less time to work with but you do need to spend a lot of time making a weave.

An option Im thinking is making a woolen sheet which is one recipe. Then the making could grab that sheet or existing woolen garments for their large pieces.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 12, 2021, 04:48:50 AM »
Knitting or crocheting woollen yarn in to “sheet” or “wool fabric” first simply isn’t done. It’d be waste of time. And would result in poorer quality garment in all.

In comparison: Medieval smith wouldn’t hammer out a 2’ (60cm)x 5’ (150cm) plate of steel first to make blanks for swords. Just not realistic at all.

rudy

« Reply #699 on: January 12, 2021, 05:06:25 AM »
BAC metalworking in my list goes to "O" for "steel dome"

the second half of the list, including steel dome, is under your "Forging" menu for me.

What do you have in your forging menu, if not those?

Brygun

« Reply #700 on: January 12, 2021, 05:21:33 AM »
I think the merge of the forging and metalworking is the correct way to go. Good spotting that rudy. I likely was always using the metal working menu for my characters and never peeked again into the forging.

I'm also using this time to fix some iron vs steel issues where recipes could use either when it was supposed to be just iron. Also other *iron errors Ive seen allowing iron blooms not yet wrought but hadnt been wrought into billets.  :-X

>>>

Knitting-woolen is still under consideration due to the important time investment to make a sheet of wool

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:29:20 AM by Brygun »

rudy

« Reply #701 on: January 12, 2021, 05:31:02 AM »
I think the merge of the forging and metalworking is the correct way to go. Good spotting that rudy. I likely was always using the metal working menu for my characters and never peeked again into the forging.

I'm also using this time to fix some iron vs steel issues where recipes could use either when it was supposed to be just iron and other *iron errors Ive seen but hadnt dealt with.  :-X

Knitting-woolen is still under consideration due to the important time investment to make a sheet of wool
Cool, cool.

Personally I'd remove the "Woolen Garments" menu entirely, and then remove the "Woolen Cloth" option from Weaving (as it would then have no function). That's what I've already done for my copy.

Brygun

« Reply #702 on: January 12, 2021, 05:46:53 AM »

Personally I'd remove the "Woolen Garments" menu entirely, and then remove the "Woolen Cloth" option from Weaving (as it would then have no function). That's what I've already done for my copy.

Thing is its getting free knitting hours... in real life it takes hours (or longer) for grandma to knitt a sweater. That is the knitting menu. Or you are losing out that if you want to make mittens by cutting up grandma's sweater its a lot easier to make, woolen clothes menu.

If you were only doing one it would be fairer to keep the knitting menu recipes with the longer build times.

Brygun

« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »
Update

Metalworking update

= Forging and Metalworking menu duplication resolved.
= iron billet more specifically called for to avoid sneaking in unworked iron blooms
= Recipe orders adjusted so bloomery and forge appear in a more logical place for new users
= Pliers renamed to Tongs and Steel Dome recipe adjusted for this
= Toolworking updated for iron billet not iron bloom issue.
= Toolworking checked and no instance of pliers called for

= file menudef_BAC updated. The letter J is now free. Assuming that "Armor group two" will now be possible and Armor group one is on letter I now.

Files updated:
diy_BAC_Toolmaking
diy_BAC_Metalworking
menudef_BAC

>>>

Woolen changes under debate, though may leave as is with easy fix by end user.

rudy

« Reply #704 on: January 12, 2021, 05:58:14 AM »
If you were only doing one it would be fairer to keep the knitting menu recipes with the longer build times.
That's the one I am keeping. I said I got rid of the Woolen Garments menu, not the Knitting Menu.