Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 335297 times)

Brygun

« on: December 27, 2018, 04:51:44 AM »
BAC stands for Brygun and Community.

While I have several contributions to the modding community over the years this collective involves the works of many. My own Brygun Added items initially covered some gaps in the survival options and opportunities in the smithing activities. Further development of the now many modders integrated mod will take place in this thread. A list of major contributions is among the Readme files.

I will endeavor to keep this post as showing the most current zip to download. If you believe this to be outdated contact me advising of a link to the post with the newer version.

A supporting mod has started to use the in game encyclopedia to provide information on how various crafting methods work.
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5540.0

A wiki has been setup to help people navigate the many options of this mod. It is at:
http://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=BAC_User_Guide

One major mod type left out of the BAC is graphical conversions of vanilla objects. There is at least one, if not more, of these. These don't affect craft recipes which is the focus of the BAC project. BAC does add non-vanilla graphics. The project decision is that the graphical overalls be left out of BAC and left to user discretion.

One of these is known as "Jaredonians Character Models + Distinct Tribes v3". As far as I know it can be installed and removed independently of all the crafting menus. 
It is at:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=37.0

To allow easier compatibility with other mods, such as Privateer's profession mods or his mead mod, at least one menu letter is available. This will mean the user can self-edit at least the incoming mod's menudef file and/or adjust recipes to be in the existing menus somewhere. Due to the infinite possibility of other mods this menu gap is most that can be done within a widespread compatibility mod program.

Install directions are in the Readme BAC mod.txt file

>>>>

Local actions you might need to do:

= Menu scrolling crashes game:
If at times you see in your UnReal folder "truetile" a BAC .zip you should delete that .zip. Copying in a new BAC does not remove that file so if present from earlier versions needs to be removed manually.

= MAC users the graphics have lots of green background:
This should now be fixed. If this appear again:

From community member caethan:
This is a known issue that shows up on Macs - they don't show PNG files with an alpha layer properly.  So you just have to get rid of the alpha layer.

You can fix them with the default Preview app:

Open the offending file(s) in Preview
Command-Shift-S to Duplicate (make a copy)
Command-S to Save
Deselect the Alpha checkbox
Save over the original file

If you want something you can do in bulk, ImageMagick is free: https://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-tools.php

>>>>

Known issues:
= Caulked keg and barrel don't come out with the right weight. This is a vanilla game limit.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:22:14 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:52:19 AM »
Beta test files

Reserved for next time a steam beta version is being tested.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:37:23 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:00:45 AM »
v078 was the last version for UnReal World 3.62

For now hosting it as an attachment to this message. May be moved off in the future.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 02:22:53 AM by Brygun »

Signatus

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:48:18 AM »
Looking good! ;D I just finished testing building a Clinkered punt, and found some tiny issues:

- The items were going to my inventory due to the slashes, but it seems you corrected that one.
- {Block} needs to be {Block of wood}. Also, Short quarter logs aren't usable as blocks
- Lower and Upper clinkering steps have {Fire} twice. Also the amount of ingredients makes a mess of the menu, but I'm not sure if there's a solution
- The final step for some reason didn't say "Preferably a Draw knife" and didn't go for the one right beside me, choosing a masterwork hunting knife instead.

It was all decent until the final step, where it became an inferior clinkered punt. I did have a rough Iron hammer, but still... might've been the inferior boards, though.

Some of the steps took way too long, upwards of 10 hours, to the point I was malnourished, lol. I wonder if the effort or the time should be reduced?

I just looked through these files and it seems that Earthenware has some duplicates in the diy_BAC_Crafts, they are present in the earthenware file already.

KKarlssoNN

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:55:16 AM »
Fucking A bud, your the champ Brygun!!! Thanks Signatus for the support!!!

Looks like there's doubles of items in barkware and i can't find a stone axe. All i can find so far.

Things are organized differently here and there as well as different keys for various things but its nothing I can't get used to it, I'am sure things have to be different because of the added stuff.

Are you guys using any other graphic mods besides "Jaredonians Character Models + Distinct Tribes v3"

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:04:42 AM by KKarlssoNN »

Signatus

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »
You can still find the vanilla Stone-axe in the Weapons menu, can't you?

KKarlssoNN

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 06:01:52 AM »
Oh ya... my mistake. It was in a different spot!

Are roads and wells included in this?I added tiles from caethan's sufficiency mod so I wasn't missing any using Signatus's version.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:10:44 AM by KKarlssoNN »

Signatus

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:09:12 AM »
Are you guys using any other graphic mods besides "Jaredonians Character Models + Distinct Tribes v3"

Personally I'm only using that one, but this includes GFXs from various sources. Good thing Brygun included the truetile folder :)

KKarlssoNN

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »
Looking at "B_B Dec 2018" there's more tiles. They seemed light in current version. Also, I remember I had a GFX tile from that sufficiency mod, not sure if i was using it or not.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:00:53 AM by KKarlssoNN »

Signatus

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:30:56 AM »
Doesn't seem like Roads and the well are, but it should be easy to add to the BAC_alternates.txt file. I remember the road used the "ter-road" GFX, but the well is just a water tile if I'm not mistaken. I thought about/tried making a well graphic but I really suck at graphics...

The problem with the well is that you can't have both a Water catcher (the one Brygun added) and a Well recipe at the same time. So at least one of them will be commented out to be included

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 05:12:15 PM »
re: cookery -
Is it redundant to have "Dry meat soup" and "Smoked meat soup", when the Njerp cooking mod already includes Borsch and Goulash?  Borsch is basically dry meat soup, and Goulash is basically Smoked meat soup, just with more options.

I think this community mod is a great idea, by the way.

Signatus

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »
re: cookery -
Is it redundant to have "Dry meat soup" and "Smoked meat soup", when the Njerp cooking mod already includes Borsch and Goulash?  Borsch is basically dry meat soup, and Goulash is basically Smoked meat soup, just with more options.

I think this community mod is a great idea, by the way.

The Borsch is a very versatile recipe which can be made only with raw meat, only vegetables, only dried stuff... or all of them! In a pinch you can always make some Borsch, even if not optimally nutritious.

As for the smoked and dried soup, you might have a point... perhaps they just need the values adjusted, and maybe some [optional] tags? I think the smoked one at least makes sense, so that you can make simple soup out of smoked products. Also keep in mind that both of these soups are [boil]ed, while the goulash is [bake]d. I believe you need a burnt-out fire in a fireplace to bake, right? If so, this makes them functionally different.

-><-

I've found a few duplications and issues:

- .Broadhead arrow. is in the fletching file, should be removed from the ironworking one
- The BAC_Crafts.txt file has the Barkware and Earthenware menus, which can both be removed now
- I added [NAME:Arrow] to .Fur-fletched arrow., just so all arrows stack and whatnot. Functionally there's no difference
- I just noticed the .Root Rope. in the Added items menu is using the *SURVIVAL* skill... does this do anything in the current version? Just change it to *COMMON*? RIP, fire-starting skill :)
- .Short quarter log. needs to be derived from "Block of wood", not just "Block"
- BAC_Bowying.txt is duplicated in its own file... it starts again at the end

-><-

Carpentry menu seems like a good idea... I'm just wondering if some recipes should change {Wooden tub} to {*tub} in order to use them. For example, .Iron hammer. wouldn't let me use the .Simple wooden tub. as a {Wooden tub of water}, but {*tub of water} worked and should let the new "tubs" be usable as well.

I noticed you didn't include the pine tar gathering and glue-making... from my testing it seemed unbalanced (much easier to use birch-bark), but I'm wondering if it could be balanced somehow. Is pine tar or resin usable as glue on its own? Maybe being able to let it collect the resin for a few days or more but then get usable {*glue}, except perhaps for some more specific/complex projects which would require proper pitch glue? It feels like resin should be a low-tech way to get some glue-y material, which could be balanced by the preparation time collecting it.

-><-

Edit: Just tried making a Cask-style tub, but {* pot} doesn't accept normal pots (nor a fine pot). I guess it has to be changed to {*pot}

Just made a Keg-style tub, and its weight was 3 lbs. What the hell? o.O I see no reason why this would happen, except that it's the exact amount of Caulking being used. Could it be fixed by making caulking in pieces of 1 lb, rather than 2, and making the recipe then take "{Caulking} (3)" rather than the #3# as it is now?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:05:30 AM by Signatus »

Brygun

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »
Pardon my absence I was assaulted yesterday and am pressing charges. A bit woogly today.

Brygun

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
It will be easier on my groggy state of mine to work and reply on each feedback message in sequence. Then, hopefully today, I will upload a fresh zip set.

Great thanks to all those assisting in the BAC mod project.

Looking good! ;D I just finished testing building a Clinkered punt, and found some tiny issues:

Clinkered punt (huge thanks for testing!)
= {Block} >> {Block of woof} done
= {Fire} twice in recipes collected and firewood totals added together
= <Draw knife> not scanning right.... unresolved
= Time is high, intentional to make it something to do as a super project, could take a break in between days to rest. The extra day to recover malnourished seems okay as some tools and skill checks seemed to add less than ideal time.

Question:
Did "{Axe} <Adze axe>" work properly?

OtherL
= Earthenware BAC_crafts entries deleted as duplicated in BAC_Earthenware

Brygun

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
Fucking A bud, your the champ Brygun!!! Thanks Signatus for the support!!!

= Adding to mod and for zips "Readme BAC unresolved.txt" to quote the header in that file

This file has two funtions:

=1= To list bugs, errors and the like that have yet to be fixed for some reason

=2= To store comments on some of the controversial design choices. For example how long the clinkered punt steps take.

= Different organization of keys
Im not married to any particular assignment of keys for the menudef_BAC.txt
The only critical thing is to leave 1 or 2 or 3 letters unusued so people can add in other special project mods like the variety of ones Privateer has

= "Jaredonians Character Models + Distinct Tribes v3" is not integrated. As far as I know it can be installed and removed independently of all the crafting menus.

anything