Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 337007 times)

Brygun

« Reply #480 on: April 26, 2020, 01:52:20 AM »
Ah, sorry, maybe my version is a couple updates out of date.

Better to report too often then to leave the bugs in!  :)

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #481 on: April 26, 2020, 11:16:49 PM »
Your attitude is appreciated as always.  Sorry to inundate with suggestions but I did have another:

Recipe ".Build a Bloomery Furnace." under diy_BAC_metalworking:
I would suggest adding the [ground] tag to the 64 branches for feeding the fire.  Ditto for the 18 branches needed for a Kiln in diy_BAC_earthernware.  There may be other recipes which call for the branches to feed the fire too but those were the first ones I noticed.

Brygun

« Reply #482 on: April 27, 2020, 11:20:56 PM »
Minor
Update to diy_BAC_metalworking

Various [ground] commands added

Slight rewording on the steel dome for the use of the upper block tub: '+hammer curves into hollow' to better describe why you are using the hollowed out wood

edit:
v076b added [ground] to various Earthernware recipes
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:24:22 PM by Brygun »

BroncoRider

« Reply #483 on: May 05, 2020, 12:50:55 AM »
Hey, I just downloaded your mod, which is awesome btw :D :D, it adds a whole new depth to the game, but I'm not sure what all the items do, is there a reference page I can go to? I went to the wiki page but I didn't find what I was looking for.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 05, 2020, 04:48:43 AM »
Hey, I just downloaded your mod, which is awesome btw :D :D, it adds a whole new depth to the game, but I'm not sure what all the items do, is there a reference page I can go to? I went to the wiki page but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Hey, welcome and glad you're here!
Di you check here on the wiki: BAC User Guide

And Brygun is here on the forums... like always anyway...  :D

Tinker

« Reply #485 on: May 05, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
The BAC user guide never really got started, nobody was interested in adding info, Some pages were deleted by an anonymous admin despite Sami saying it was for us users to add stuff.

Brygun

« Reply #486 on: May 06, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
IIRC

Part of the wiki issue was the overlap with the vanilla items could confuse new users. BAC does tweak some things here and there.

There is something of a read me if you manually open the various diy_####.txt files. I did make quite a few comments including various links to youtubes on some items.

The scope is pretty big now. I find it a bit daunting at times when I'm playing too. Typically I focus on one set of related tasks, like making clay pottery, for a few in game days. So its worth the read of that file for how it works or review the notes.

Iron making is pretty complex too leading to tools leading to equipment leading to better tools.

The high end ultimate work project in the BAC is the largest of the boats: the clinkered punt.
By the time you cam make the clinkered punt you have made tools to make tools all the while feeding and surviving the unreal world. All the time needed means weeks even once established so months overall. Its like a summer two project. If you can make the clinkered punt you can pretty much do anything like make a giant stead. IT would just be a matter of time... and not dying... and no arrow to the eye.

One does not simply walk onto a clinkered punt
[insert a Beomir meme]

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #487 on: May 07, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »
Yeah at one point I made a list for the wiki of the various things to be found in each menu of the mod, but it's really not much easier than just looking at each .txt file.  I really think that's what new users should do, just open each .txt file and read them to get a feel for everything.  Occasionally I forget things too and it really doesn't take much time to just find the appropriate file.

Just waiting for winter to end before I finish my clinkered punt ;) I'm sure I could finish it now, but it just seems odd to be working on a boat in hip-deep snow.  Plus, it will be very satisfying to launch her at last just as the spring ice is melting.

Brygun

« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2020, 11:26:26 PM »
Plus the text files will be up to date.

;)

Shemashko

« Reply #489 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:34 AM »
Just first wanted to say super great mod! I noticed that I was able to shear one sheep many times and was able to collect 200 greasy wool. Not sure if I should be able to collect this much!

Brygun

« Reply #490 on: May 15, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
Just first wanted to say super great mod! I noticed that I was able to shear one sheep many times and was able to collect 200 greasy wool. Not sure if I should be able to collect this much!

Self-regulated feature or exploit?

The way the recipes work AFAIK there isn't any way to change data on the host "sheep" to indicate its been sheared.

And thanks for the support. There is a lot of other great modders that contribute to this. One of them did the clothing, wool and shearing. They are the folks in the other 2 letters of B A C.

*does some digging*

From the diy_BAC_knitting.txt  its Brygun based it on Signatus who got it from Bouidda updating from Rain

Rain did a lot of amazing inspiring work. Rain's ironworking is also the majority of the BAC metal working.

// BAC integration
//
// Signatus v1.0
//
// v1.0
// - Unchanged from original

// Part of Buoidda's crafts 1.5+
// Based on parts of Rain's Clothing v3
//

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:07:42 PM by Brygun »

Shemashko

« Reply #491 on: May 16, 2020, 04:29:01 AM »
No worries, thanks for the reply. I'll definitely self-regulate my sheep shearing and keep it to a minimum... after I craft my entire outfit out of wool.

Brygun

« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2020, 04:31:33 AM »
Based on a question else where in the forums the following has been added to the Readme BAC mod.txt

Its a supporting text file not a recipe so I won't cycle a BAC update at this time. The text addition is:

>>>>>>>>>>>

Does BAC reduce realism?
A question from JaxonThomas in the thread
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5533.0

Brygun answers thus:

Well, now. Didn't expect that question.

Fair disclosure: I'm Brygun. The B in the BAC mod. Organizer of the mod from its various sources including my own addittions.

So where to being:

Q: Is play balance different with BAC?
A: Yes
Of course it does. There is many ways to get different tools or results other than the options in the vanilla game.
Ways of generating wealth bundled up in ways of entertaining your self with role playing whittle a board game. Even if the game tracks how much of a different good is sold that there exists multiple new items means you could profit by selling them to a village.

Q: Does it change realism?
Well what is your reference for realism? Many, though not all, players are modern urbanites enjoying the game as a trip to the woods. I'm a bit urbanized but also grew up in the country side running around in forest was normal. It was a very safe wood without bears or lynxes or wolverines or Nerjpez to worry about.

Q: Is there realism basis for items in the BAC?
A: Yes
In fact if you open up the diy_BAC_XXXX.txt files I specifically included references including links to youtube videos you can watch. Those certainly show there is realism is the mod.

Q: Did item XXX exist in real world Iron Age Finland?
Oh now there is a varied question. Item by item of all items would be too much so here is a few. Again many others have references in the .txt file comments.
= As a Canadian with a tradition of birch bark canoes I put it in yet as Saami, maker of Unreal World and a native Finlander, pointed out is the sort of birch trees in Finland are different so they probably couldn't even made at all.
= The largest of the boats, the clinkered punt, is a combination of the steamed open tree logs known to Finland plus the clinkering and caulking of what is known for sure in later ages but possible in that age.
= The steps for making iron come from Rain's Ironworking mod and do indeed match up to my own studies of blacksmithing in that period. I was surprised to find that lake ore is a real thing. I thought it was a quirky gamey thing but low and behold if one looked into it this actually is realism. Secret: Finland has/had so much surface and near-surface iron ore that it flowed down with the rains into rivers into lakes. In the lakes, like the bogs, biological processes pulled it out and tended to make it into clumps mixed with non-iron. Thus you did need to roast the lump of lake ore (or bog ore) and process.

= Back strap weaving is a real world thing. I believe there is a video for that in the .txt files.

=  Cordage is easier to make in BAC through various real world ways. Only the recent 3.60 ish (IIRC) added the withe making. Prior to that it took capturing animals to get leather to get the cords to hang meat to dry in the winter. A rather recursive if you have it (an animal kill) you can do it but if don't have it you can't do it (if that makes sense). In my own research I looked into real world ways for making cordage, like digging up spruce roots, and added them in. Real = yes. Changing the play balance = yes.

Part of the BAC goals was to include things that were known or plausible to teach woodland survival skills. Thats why the Shaman mod was excluded, that is well researched but deals with a metaphysical.

If you are new to UnReal World you might want to give a few goes at playing without the mod. It can be added mid-play or removed. The way Unrweal World recipes work once an item is created its properties are assigned to the instance thus not needing an ongoing reference. IF there is a graphic custom that might end up being empty but it should still show up in the list if you stand on a tile to pick it up. Of course without  the mod you don't need a Ball Hammer.

Good question. Think I will add the answers to the BAC forum and the text files.

Brygun

« Reply #493 on: May 24, 2020, 03:40:05 PM »
The following has been added to post one

A supporting mod has started to use the in game encyclopedia to provide information on how various crafting methods work.
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5540.0

santur_bard

« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »
Hey guys.

Long time not about but have quite a bit of spare time at the moment, funnily enough. I won't report the graphical bugs applying to MAC on the mod items as they are too numerous.

Immersing myself back into this marvel of a mod!

@ Brygun, I did however today struggle with using 'iron nails' as nails for something, I'm afraid I forget what, I've basically made 'all' the tools today. I ended up deleting the line temorarily out of frustration but it said 'Iron nails to not count as nails, nails represent cylinder'.

Yabby is entering his second spring boldly, with 1000 leaky clay cups, the clinkered punt calls.

anything