Topic: Tasks often upset sleeping patterns, need some activities to kill time  (Read 6007 times)

Tom H

« on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
I'm finding that many activities render my characters tired early in the day and then I have nothing to do except waste time letting the clock run until evening so I don't find myself waking at midnite in 'Vigorous' status.

Couldn't we have activities like bone or wood carving that do NOT exhaust the character to while away the early to late evening hours? Maybe they could be used as offerings to the Gods, in trading, or as wards in conjunction with spells? For instance, the Inuit Totems ( I know, wrong continent) would take a lot of work and would be created over many sessions.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
Light effort activities will allow you to spend time without tiring more than normal (or at least not much more). Medium effort tasks will tire your character a bit, but not that much. I agree it's an issue to try to keep a somewhat regular sleeping pattern, though.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
Light effort activities will allow you to spend time without tiring more than normal (or at least not much more). Medium effort tasks will tire your character a bit, but not that much. I agree it's an issue to try to keep a somewhat regular sleeping pattern, though.

Yes, quite. The somewhat light tasks, like making pawboards, is something I avoid when tired because it seems to affect the quality of my work and it only gets me more tired. Maybe we could do something like carving runes into stones? We could have a few new, useful tools for that.

Galgana

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:45:58 AM »
I got curious about the presence of runestones in Finland. There's a page set up by a woman named Zorm speculating about the origin of a pair of standing stones at the Raisio Church plus a mention about controversial runes found in Vöyrin.

Now, one example of prehistoric rock art is the Huittinen moose head made from soapstone. New tools could include chisels and files (substituted with sandstone or rough wood for stone lapping). I also looked up a bit about rock painting. Red ochre (punamulta) from hematite seems to be the pigment, which I guess could be acquired with the mod that lets you dig bog iron. The hematite should be crushed and then mixed in egg or animal fat for binding material. Red has also been used in wooden house finishing (keittomaali) with flour and flax oil as the binder. That might be handy when deteriorating buildings become implemented!

Stonelobber's Primitive World mod has a few simple recipes for clay pottery, and I guess you could extend it with small handicrafts. However, its requirement to stand in water ends up limiting raw material collection because you can't stay in cold water for too long.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:48:10 AM by Galgana »

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:55:45 AM »
During spurts of activity and especially early on, when a great number of tasks all seem priority 1, I think it's common
to get out of rhythm with day/night. I find later in game I use cord making time to get my schedule back in order.
Early on I tend to just sleep and wake as needed, focusing on tasks.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:19 AM »
Some mods support "downtime" activities like this - - the new "Crafts, Roleplaying and Ritual" mod by Nydxz has a wide variety of whittling, carving and crafting projects.

Faatal

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:44 PM »
Tiredness does not effect work quality. Fatigue however does.

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 03:00:38 AM »
Fishing is another restful activity though in winter you need to bust a hole in the ice. refrozen holes though are easier to break as the ice hasn't thickened (neat modelling Sami)