Topic: Luckiest kill?  (Read 24522 times)

Reer123

« on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
I'm pretty new to the game but earlier today I was on a hunt and I got an extremely lucky one hit kill.

I was on my way to a Driik village with a load of fox traps when out of the blue I stumbled upon some Reindeer, I always have my bow equipped with an arrow ready unless I'm sailing so when the map loaded I fired off a shot at the closest Reindeer. I aimed for the body so it wasn't like I was expecting to hit it at all and there were some trees between us but it hit, and killed it immediately.

What was your luckiest kill?

Fahom

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:52:09 PM »
Well it wasn't exactly a kill but led to it :P. I found a elk and the first shot to the leg almost ripped of his leg lol

Saiko Kila

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »
I had a couple of similar kills with bows (mostly northern bow). The one I consider the luckiest, was one-shot kill of the large stag, who was exactly at the border of visible screen, with maximum zoomout - i.e. the longest distance of shooting. My guy was quite a crappy shooter then, so I was surprised when he instakilled the stag with single try. In this case it was thorax, not eye shot, with a broadhead arrow.

I also had some intakills with humans, and other deer.

Quite often I have instakill of birds with thrown spear, but this is easier to do, since the distance is smaller than with bow.

I also had something which can be considered luckiest in another sense, when I wasn't targeting the subsequent kill. I shot at the stag, and missed, the arrow flew past the screen border. When I went there looking for it, I found it quite further, together with a badly damaged corpse of a goshawk (it was a broadhead, so nothing strange there). This way I learned that the ballistic curve and collision detection is calculated even for off-screen objects. Since then I was using this technique to shoot these nasty robbers from afar.

Reer123

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:05:54 AM »
I had a couple of similar kills with bows (mostly northern bow). The one I consider the luckiest, was one-shot kill of the large stag, who was exactly at the border of visible screen, with maximum zoomout - i.e. the longest distance of shooting. My guy was quite a crappy shooter then, so I was surprised when he instakilled the stag with single try. In this case it was thorax, not eye shot, with a broadhead arrow.

I also had some intakills with humans, and other deer.

Quite often I have instakill of birds with thrown spear, but this is easier to do, since the distance is smaller than with bow.

I also had something which can be considered luckiest in another sense, when I wasn't targeting the subsequent kill. I shot at the stag, and missed, the arrow flew past the screen border. When I went there looking for it, I found it quite further, together with a badly damaged corpse of a goshawk (it was a broadhead, so nothing strange there). This way I learned that the ballistic curve and collision detection is calculated even for off-screen objects. Since then I was using this technique to shoot these nasty robbers from afar.
I haven't used broad arrows at all. Are there any benefits to using them when hunting?

JEB Davis

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 03:47:00 AM »
Broadheads do cutting damage that is more likely to cause a bleeding wound and they disable or kill faster. However, there are some disadvantages: a) may damage the hide more, especially with multiple hits; b) Not as good against armored people, because clothing & armor are usually more protective against cutting (edge) attacks than piercing (point) attack types.

Saiko Kila

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »
I use broadhead as a first or sometimes second shot against very big animals - mainly varieties of elks, reindeer, and bears. Additionally against wolves, if they are numerous (wolves often come in six-packs). Also against humans, hoping to cause bleeding. However, with humans I use them only when they don't have too much armour, especially metal one. Whether the broadhead causes crippling damage/bleeding or not, I switch to other arrows, like fine arrows, for subsequent shots.

Broadhead damage both skin and clothing more than other arrows, and clothing is quite expensive, so I refrain from use it when the target has valuable hide or fancy clothes.

Reer123

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
Broadheads do cutting damage that is more likely to cause a bleeding wound and they disable or kill faster. However, there are some disadvantages: a) may damage the hide more, especially with multiple hits; b) Not as good against armored people, because clothing & armor are usually more protective against cutting (edge) attacks than piercing (point) attack types.
I'll have to invest in some of those broad arrows on my current playthrough as too many times have animals been shot by my arrows but just kept running away and then I've lost them.

shorun

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:09 AM »
I'll have to invest in some of those broad arrows on my current playthrough as too many times have animals been shot by my arrows but just kept running away and then I've lost them.

2 things.
tracking.
dogs.

Saiko Kila

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »

2 things.
tracking.
dogs.

It depends on how you play. My dogs usually carry too much stuff to be usable for that, especially when I'm returning home from a trip. My char is much faster than they are.

Lightly packed dogs on the other hand can be too fast for character to track themselves. If the chased animal changed direction off-screen, they may be hard to locate before it's too late (i.e. the dog is dead, or the hide is in tatters). So it can be a good solution, but not necessarily the best under all circumstances.

KingLudwig

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »

2 things.
tracking.
dogs.

It depends on how you play. My dogs usually carry too much stuff to be usable for that, especially when I'm returning home from a trip. My char is much faster than they are.

Lightly packed dogs on the other hand can be too fast for character to track themselves. If the chased animal changed direction off-screen, they may be hard to locate before it's too late (i.e. the dog is dead, or the hide is in tatters). So it can be a good solution, but not necessarily the best under all circumstances.

Uh, not really... I use two dogs for easy hunting, as I can tell them to both attack one animal and literally scroll all the way out to see which way they run. After that, I keep walking until I hear my dogs barking get louder and louder and I follow the noise until I find a breathless animal surrounded by two dogs (who are always fully fed, and rarely attack the animal unless it's small). At that point I can punch the animal to death if I wanted to. My dogs will occasionally get hurt by the reindeer and may be stuck in a constant escape stance, but all I do is tie them to a tree and leave them there for a week so they heal and stop running. Then they're good to go again. In the meantime, my other dog can be put to use, or hell, trade one of the hides for a new dog and slaughter the old one for dog-chow. Evil, I know.

powderhound522

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
Been dealing with some serious predator problems at my homestead - a lynx, a couple of foxes, and now a pack of wolves. The foxes have gone for my traps, but the lynx and wolves seem to be uninterested, so I'm trying to hunt them down before they manage to pick off my final bull (I had three bulls and a cow when this whole fiasco started).

Just made a max-range bow shot to the eye of a wolf! And my bow skill is only in the 60s, though it's helped by my fine longbow and superior broadhead arrows  ;D

Kaleva

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
Hello guys
My luckiest kill was early in the game maybe the 1st day, a moose was stuck in the hole in the ice and i blunt hitted the head all day until it finally died. Most of the meat got rotten. I ripped my clothes to cords to make a lot of dry meat...and ate until became fat.

I remember another time when i melee hitted deadly after sneaking next to sleeping elk. 

Throwing weapons, not so lucky... Several elks ran away with my javelin sticking out from their but meat.

koteko

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
Been dealing with some serious predator problems at my homestead - a lynx, a couple of foxes, and now a pack of wolves. The foxes have gone for my traps, but the lynx and wolves seem to be uninterested, so I'm trying to hunt them down before they manage to pick off my final bull (I had three bulls and a cow when this whole fiasco started).

Just made a max-range bow shot to the eye of a wolf! And my bow skill is only in the 60s, though it's helped by my fine longbow and superior broadhead arrows  ;D

If you still have this problem (or for the future), I noticed that some wolves completely ignore the "heavy deadfall bear trap" (even if baited. Tested for weeks in-game with a wolf pack harassing my farm), while they go straight into the "big deadfall trap".

I killed 4 wolves in the first two days of the attack - they went quickly for the traps. But the last two wouldn't be baited. It was becoming ludicrous. Every day I hunted them down with three dogs, but they always escaped. Every night they came and made my dogs bark like crazy, while avoiding the many traps I had put all around (they passed through the fences). I also reset them once in a while, and my trapping skill was high.

Eventually I got out of my stupid moment, and decided to use the traps actually MEANT for wolves: big deadfall traps. With one of those I bagged both wolves in a day or two. Never a wolf rug was more satisfying.

LoLotov

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:06:37 PM »
Saw a bear on the overworld map, had nothing but mittens, pants, a dog named Dogface and six javelins.
Said let us find our destinies Dogface, we need fur and you are eating me out of house and home.
Got to tile, hurl javelin at small bear and miss, only to realize he has a prior engagement with battered big elk.
Followed bear as he chased down elk, swiped at its legs, killed it with a bite to the throat, and began to eat.
Threw next javelin in fascination and horror, pierced bear in abdomen and he immediately bled out and died.
Skinned and butchered both, we carry 450 pounds between us, and home was close and recently finished.
We ate like kings for days and performed alternating general sacrifices of each creatures flesh. And made a hat.

Yea my children, RNG God will fill his stomach on your delight and horror both, but only his delight will fill yours.
Iiiiii juuuuust want to set the woooooooorld onnnn fiiiiiiiiireeeeeee.... Iiiiiiii don't want to start a flame in your heeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrt.
And with your admissiiiiion you feeeeel the same, I'llllll have reached the goaaaal I'm dreamiiiing offfff, believe meeeeee

Kaleva

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
LoLotov thats awesome. I remember also supervising a bear butchering an elk and then got my share also...If u missed u were a dead man!

My lucky kill was this: i lost my dog sending him to chase the game and it never returned so no dog whatsoever. Got a bow and axes, no armor. Found a bear and shot it with the broadhear arrow twice before it was next to me.
Then a swinged my axe and dodged it's claws for a long time until hit it to body like twice and it must have been bleeding after those broadhead damage.    Still the bear was hardly conscious and severely injured but instead of fleeing it followed me like lying/crouching not running. Eventualy i hit it to the neck and killed it... no dog and thats why it was scary since it reached me, i was sure am gonna die. Its happened so many times with bears (3/3 times i hv met a bear )