Topic: Endgame economics - Money sink ideas  (Read 11136 times)

Rhaikh

« on: November 06, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
I have a pile of furs stacked floor to ceiling, all of my gear is masterwork and I'm currently trying to grind Carpentry so I can make fine/superior arrows myself.

I know most of you probably just start a new character at this point, but I want to play mine out.  Eventually I'm going to die trying to wipe out the Njerpez culture, but in the meantime it might be nice if I had something to spend my fortune on.

Some money sink ideas I have:
  • Teacher NPCs that will give you a skill bonus (like current quest rewards) in exchange for goods
  • Pay Sages or Craftsmen tons for minor permanent improvements to equipment
  • Set up buy orders with a village for specific types of goods.  In other words, pay them extra to focus on gathering a specific commodity, like dried meat or something, so that they'll have more available to trade in the future

PALU

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
Buying all the jewelry you can get hold of and hoard it is a fairly good money sink that's available currently.

JEB Davis

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »
Give your possessions away to all of the villagers you meet.
They will love you and you will have gotten rid of all your excess stuff.
Win-win situation, eh?

Rhaikh

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:49:33 AM »
Buying all the jewelry you can get hold of and hoard it is a fairly good money sink that's available currently.

What's the point of this, besides the better weight/value ratio?

PALU

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »

There's no actual point beyond what you role play into it (apart from the portability). And it doesn't attract robbers either...

shorun

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »

may i introduce you to a new concept.

*hoarding*.

PoisonPen

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
It would be interesting to be able to create a new village in a specific location by piling enough of certain supplies in one spot.  It would give you a reason to stockpile large amounts of certain things.  For instance, to establish a village which specializes in fishing, you might need to pile up:

10 fishing rods
20 nets
1000 days worth of food
10 bags of salt
500 stones
1000 logs
2 of each type of axe
10 assorted knives
500 pounds of fur
250 pounds of leather
100 cords
100 pounds of any combination of seeds

Put that all in one space, use the [M]ake menu to to make a fishing village, and poof!  To make it more interesting and useful, you could also add certain cultural items to give you the ability to make it a certain desired ethnicity.  So if you want a Kaumo village to trade with near your Owl-region homestead, you could build one and create a Kaumo cultural area around it.  With enough time and tenacity, you could transform an area by creating multiple villages of the same ethnicity in the same general area.

trento007

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:14 AM »
I'm currently working on gearing all the nearby villages to my settlements, so to arm the villagers with weapons of their choice + sidearms and shields, eventually to give them armors as well. The end goal of this is just to have a lot of very well equipped cultures (and maybe a deadly gauntlet of enemies to fight through).

PALU

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:26 AM »
@trento007: Think carefully before you equip them with missile weapons. Currently NPCs spray and pray, as they only see their target and don't care if anyone gets in the way. This is regardless of you trying to lead a bandit hunt or them trying to kill a Njerp who stumbled into their village.
My robber hunts have probably seen more of my teams arrows hitting my teams (in particular my character) than enemies, and it wasn't my character who fired any of those...