Topic: Other roguelikes  (Read 23654 times)

PoisonPen

« on: October 18, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
I'm guessing most people here are avid roguelike fans.  What other games do others here play?

For myself, I've spent a lot of time playing Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, although I really don't like the direction they've been going.  Grenade-throwing zombies?  Zoombies?  Laundry as a game mechanic?  No thanks.  When I got tired of playing 0.c with all its unfixed bugs and didn't want to switch to the (increasingly stupid) newer versions, I switched to UnReal World.

Before that, my main game was TOME with the Theme immersion plugin.  Unfortunately they were shut down by the Tolkien Estate and their replacement was... well, it's just bad.

And before that it was Angband, NetHack, Moria, et al.

In the pre-Web days, I was an admin and coder on Gateway, the largest MUD in existence at the time.  (We could handle up to one hundred concurrent players -- an unimaginably vast number in the days of Gopher and telnet.  It was the beta test site for LPmud; yes, it was that old.)

koteko

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
I actually can't get into other roguelikes, although I do like the concept and I'm writing a simple one of my own (inspired by URW, but a thousandfold simpler).

I've played a sort of 3d roguelike, The Long Dark, which is also a survival game - but I'm a bit put off by guns, although rare. It also gives me a bit of motion sickness :P I guess I'm too much used to 2D and even textual games.

I played MUDs for years, and in Italy we had a couple of them with survival elements, good crafting, little to no magic and a graphical tile map. Kind of like a multiplayer URW with a bigger message area and simpler ecology (eg, the mobs have interesting behaviours but are not as persistent as in URW). I'm also developing one of those for fun, but it's a longer term project :)

PoisonPen

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:12:07 AM »
I tried The Long Dark in early access because I thought it would scratch my post-apocalyptic itch, but didn't like it.  Too much hopping from fire to fire, spending most of your time playing it safe and keeping warm, not enough time ransacking abandoned cars and old cabins.  In the real world, hunter-gathers spend about two hours a day on survival.  The busy-work stuff that most so-called "survival" games force you to do against unrealistic countdown timers is irritating to me.  Just plunk me somewhere with no time limits and tell me to survive and I'll be happy as a pig in shit.  It's why I enjoy playing URW; if I want to take a day off to go exploring or hunt squirrels or find out where this river leads, I can, and the trap line and fishing nets can wait until tomorrow.

LoLotov

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 03:36:18 AM »
I only even heard of roguelikes in the last five years or so, but before I started this one as my go to, I cut my teeth on the android game Pixel Dungeon, which is much closer to the original Rogue than unreal world. It was open sourced, so now you can find many different versions on the app store, but the original always does it for me. 2d sprites, with random spell scrolls and potions, and a really tough hunger management system.
Iiiiii juuuuust want to set the woooooooorld onnnn fiiiiiiiiireeeeeee.... Iiiiiiii don't want to start a flame in your heeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrt.
And with your admissiiiiion you feeeeel the same, I'llllll have reached the goaaaal I'm dreamiiiing offfff, believe meeeeee

JEB Davis

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:22:34 AM »
I.V.A.N. and variants

Sil

caethan

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:11:38 AM »
Used to play a ton of Nethack, then got bored with it once I finally ascended.  Stone Soup is a lot of fun, and you can play remotely with spectators, which is fun.  Got bored with it once I won too. :)  Brogue is a fantastic minimalist roguelike, I play TOME occasionally just for the variety of character builds, and I just bought Caves of Qud, which looks like it'll be a good one.

I remember playing URW back in the late 90s in high school, and only just got back into it a couple of years ago. 

PoisonPen

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 02:48:42 AM »
I'm really surprised there are no other C:DDA players here, since it's the game which is most like URW.

koteko

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »
I'm really surprised there are no other C:DDA players here, since it's the game which is most like URW.

Guns and zombies put off many that like realistic survival :) I know it, but I cannot play it.

Most survival games have zombies.. it's depressing. That's why I bought The Long Dark.

PoisonPen

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
C:DDA has an absolutely massive crafting system, with living entirely in the woods and surviving off only what you can scavenge there a completely viable strategy -- with the added challenge of having a zombified grizzly tear through your yurt in the middle of the night and biting off your head like a meat lollipop.

HopFlash

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 01:13:22 PM »
hmmm...noone mentioned "Dwarf Fortress"? (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/)

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
don't really play roguelikes as much as i used to, but i still hop into Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup from time to time.  i used to LOVE dwarf fortress, i probably spent several hundred hours on that game in 2005-2006 but my time became less available as the game got more complex and nowadays the various subsystems are just too much for me.  i also used to love IVAN, Nethack, and casually played Angband, Incursion, TOME, and others. 

surprised not to hear more love for Caves of Qud, other than Unreal World I would say it's the most interesting RL around currently ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqz0p_kiDIQ

Gothorian

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
I've been playing roguelikes maybe 5 or 6 years to now.
My first RL was (Obviously) NetHack. And one day surfing in the vast web my eyes spot a huge torrent with 7.12gb of RL games (Some outdated), for me was a gold mine. In the zip i meet with Ivan, brogue, Angband variants, Cataclysm Dark Days ahead versions + original Cataclysm, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup versions, Infra Arcana, Adom versions, a very early Ananias, asciisector, Omega, and... PHEW! More more & More. If u want the torrent link i can post here.

free8082002

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 04:55:54 AM »
I strongly suggest Valhalla aka Ragnarok. From Norseman.
Its underrated. You can shoot yourself with a metamorph wand and become something else, o drink some crazy potion you mix with weird result. Wishing, cartography, refill potions in a dimension with pools, dry rivers and seas with a scroll of wonders...
I think is maybe the best before I meet URW.

Filip

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
I've been playing roguelikes since... 2012? So I found out about them when I saw Dwarf Fortress in the MOMA in 2009 when I was twenty, and I discovered them after that.

I tried most of the big ones and have stuck to 4 in particular, Dwarf Fortress, Caves of Qud, UnReal and Stone Soup.

I also play Infra Arcana sometimes, and follow roguebasin for new ones.

One I regret that it was never finished is Aliens RL, really good take on the Aliens universe. I also liked Prospector a lot, but I hate the interface and that stopped me from playing.

As someone who didn't grow up with ASCII, I have to say that my biggest complaint is not ASCII at all, which I like sometimes, but terrible pixel graphics which some games have in its stead. Finally , I also like Sword of the Stars the Pit, cause of the sci fi and good graphics.

The_Finn

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 12:56:13 AM »
I always come back to Urw, C:DDA, and Rimworld (not exactly an RL, similar to DF). I'll play adom, brogue, and FTL once in a while, as well. ToME used to be awesome, not so much now.