Topic: Deathrattle!  (Read 4533 times)

Tom H

« on: November 27, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
I'm taking my guy on his first deep exploration. I load up my stag with furs, food, and extra trade goods, and begin a trek through Kuikka lands, heading for the Kaumo area.

Having arrived at the border of the two, I stop for the day, build a shelter and, since it's only afternoon, I decide to fish in the adjacent lake. The first hole I chop is too close to shore, not deep enough, so I walk out further and chop another hole. Just as I drop my line, I hear the cry of a wounded beast, then another! What the hell? A lynx has walked up and killed my stag, just feet from me! Thanks, dog, for your timely warning(not)! I don't even see the lynx, it's just gone.

I skin and butcher the stag but now I'm overburdened with all the gear it was carrying, too. So, I unload gear at the shelter, start tanning the hide and then set the meat to dry. Several days later, having had no further sign of the lynx, I finish the tanning and pack up, loading my dog with enough to make it possible for me to carry everything else, albeit with 30% burden. Obviously, my next trade will be for a beast of burden... except I can't find a village with any animals to trade.

I wander through Kaumo land a bit, finding 3 villages but no animals, and head back, one week later, to the Kuikka area I just passed because, surely, there must be a village there, right? When I get back to the shelter-of-dead-stags, I'm cutting twigs for a fire when I'm told I hear a DEATHRATTLE to the southeast! Again, what the hell? In the morning light, I searched quite a bit, seeing lots of lynx tracks and a number of tree trunks in one area, but no corpse of any kind. I wonder if that stealthy lynx found a woodsman or a hunter?

Does anything besides a human utter a deathrattle? I'm almost dying to know...heh. I'm setting a large deadfall trap here. Don't even care if I come back to a rotted lynx carcass, just so long as it clears this murdering creature from the area. 

PALU

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
I believe deathrattles can happen when animals are killed by other animals. However, you should have found tracks from the killed animal (as well as its partial remains, as I don't think carcasses are gobbled up in one go unless they're rather small [in which case I don't think they're rattling]).

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 07:13:10 PM »
Well, the woods are thick, so, spotting a corpse and/or guessing how far away it might be didn't pan out for me. I did find a stack of 5 feathers but I didn't think a bird would give an audible death rattle from a distance.

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »
What an interesting trip it's becoming! I hired a companion for some protection. Spotted a squirrel and stopped to throw rocks at it. Apparently, I missed once and hit my dog, who got miffed and attacked me back...leading my Companion to kill my dog!

So, Now I have a cow that I finally found to replace my stag, and new dog, too. Btw, I saw an adventurer in a town who had weapons and food. but NO clothes, at all.

Roqi

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure that birds' deaths cause a death rattle, and that a stack of 5 feathers is a sure sign one died there!

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 04:23:47 AM »
Btw, the squirrel that got my dog killed? I gave up trying to hit him with rocks when I had to deal with skinning my dog- and an eagle owl killed him in the tree I had him trapped in...lol.

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 04:25:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure that birds' deaths cause a death rattle, and that a stack of 5 feathers is a sure sign one died there!

I run across bunches of feathers like that here and there. I found a stack like that several times in my traps.

Roqi

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »

I run across bunches of feathers like that here and there. I found a stack like that several times in my traps.

Yeah, pretty sure these are all remains of dead birds, or empty nests.

Triggered traps? Then it probably caught a bird which was then eaten by a predator before you could collect it.