Topic: [not a bug] Animal in the forest cover quest  (Read 5922 times)

Míriel

« on: June 24, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
  Hi, I was doing the animal in the forest cover for the second time and ran into some problems that I think may be caused by a bug.

I found the freshest tracks, lit the spruce fire and then the animal appeared but it wouldn't follow me, I quit the game to save the file and test if it would follow me in the zoomed out map, when I loaded it the animal wasn't as near me as before, following the very fresh tracks into a dead end I lit a new spruce fire on them which caused the animal to reappear but it still wouldn't follow me.

I'm not sure if it's a bug because the quest giver warns that if the character doesn't has a good relation to the spirits it would bring misfortune and the character has received a lot of "You feel an angry wind" messages.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:48:35 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »
I've never gotten any "angry wind" message, although the spirit of the forest has been quite annoyed with me ("You feel afraid", and "The forest looks extremely hostile"). I've succeeded with the quest at least one time when I was unsure about my standing with the spirit of the forest.

It may be a case of insufficient standing with the spirits. If so, I'd suggest trying to make a quick sacrifice to see if things change (unless you're deliberately ignore the spirit of the forest, of course).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
  Hi, I was doing the animal in the forest cover for the second time and ran into some problems that I think may be caused by a bug.

I found the freshest tracks, lit the spruce fire and then the animal appeared but it wouldn't follow me, I quit the game to save the file and test if it would follow me in the zoomed out map, when I loaded it the animal wasn't as near me as before, following the very fresh tracks into a dead end I lit a new spruce fire on them which caused the animal to reappear but it still wouldn't follow me.

I'm not sure if it's a bug because the quest giver warns that if the character doesn't has a good relation to the spirits it would bring misfortune and the character has received a lot of "You feel an angry wind" messages.

I don't suspect a bug here, but what really happened is beyond our knowledge, as there's no savegame to check.
There's something odd in this report though, since lighting up a new fire doesn't make animal "reappear".  Maybe it just incidentally came to closer to you at the same time of lighting up a new fire. One thing to remember is that animals aren't automatic, and don't behave the same way every time.  Even if it would want to follow you something might make it hesitate. Even if it started to follow you for example nearby predator still may scare it away. I guess with some patience this quest also could have been completed.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JEB Davis

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »
I love that description of possible animal behaviors in this situation, Sami. You have created such an excellent game with complex interactions like this for each animal. Always the potential for something new and surprising when we play UnReal World  :)

Míriel

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »
I tried making some sacrifices before setting alight the spruce branches and I think this made a difference because the animal followed me to its village, so it wasn't a bug  ;D