40 (36%)
Well established from 3~4 years of surviving
19 (17.1%)
Character has been around more years than it's survived 5~8
11 (9.9%)
I just realized this is a survival game
5 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Topic: How old is your oldest survivor poll?  (Read 11751 times)

Privateer

« on: January 14, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
Just curious about peoples game play
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JEB Davis

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:05:06 AM »
I can't seem to last the first year.

Usually:
a. killed by wolves
b. fighting one-too-many Njerpezits
c. a new version comes out and I want a fresh start
d. lose interest and want to try a different approach
e. character loses the will to live and walks into the sea

Mati256

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:43:21 AM »
I think he is two years old, but I forgot how to check that. Is there even a way?

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:43:03 AM »
I think he is two years old, but I forgot how to check that. Is there even a way?

Good point. I went looking for the old logs that used to be able to be "decoded" and couldn't find them.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

DfDevadander

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »
I can't seem to last the first year.

Usually:
a. killed by wolves
b. fighting one-too-many Njerpezits
c. a new version comes out and I want a fresh start
d. lose interest and want to try a different approach
e. character loses the will to live and walks into the sea

B and E have been the fate of the majority of my characters, usually in the second year. Voluntarily freezing to death on a mountain has also taken several of them, usually after sustaining a hobbling injury from fighting a bear or Njerp

Roman Lodestar

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
I have three characters with approximately 300 days of living, most of them died by the thrill of killing njerpez and bad luck (never again fighting someone with a bastard sword a and shield even if it has fur armor) but my most successful char had a nice cabin filled with everything (assorted weapons, a bunch of good quality furs, all kinds of plants for healing, etc) but the joy of combat got me.

As a side off topic note: ¿It is possible to flee from combat from a njerpez by running and manage to slip away or once you are injured enough it means you are good as dead?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:23:18 PM by Roman Lodestar »

shorun

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »

your char starts at age 16, so whatever age he/she currently has, -16.

my current char is 24y old, so he's ingame for 8 years. he left behind him a trail of construction. it's horrible.

Korvi

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
I just "survived" my first winter.

I actually died at least three times doing things that I was 90% sure were going to get me killed but I backup my saves.

I simply can't play Roguelikes the way they're designed. It's too depressing to lose the "progress" I've made :)

Mati256

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »

your char starts at age 16, so whatever age he/she currently has, -16.

my current char is 24y old, so he's ingame for 8 years. he left behind him a trail of construction. it's horrible.

But where do you check the age?

DfDevadander

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 04:01:42 AM »
I am also curious to know if there's a way to check a character's age; I've scoured the game files with no success. My only guess would be to back up the character save, kill yourself by quitting without saving, and read the epitaph after they've died to determine how many days they lived

Ametsala

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »
The game log (shift + L) contains all the important activities you've done (e.g. dug a pit, caught a roach, encountered/killed an animal, entered a settlement) and the date and time it was done (e.g. Day 3 of last week before midsummer point - year 16 - noon).  You start in year 16.

Roman Lodestar

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 04:51:39 AM »
My most recent character got 678 days of living, being at winter season I embark of a quest to find an ango on the islanders, they are extremely rare to find and stumbled over some robbers, I didn't stand a chance thanks to the fatigue caused by snow and the humans NPC not affected by them. Ragequit again and quit living. I should had save scummed in that moment but lost the chance.

Mati256

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
The game log (shift + L) contains all the important activities you've done (e.g. dug a pit, caught a roach, encountered/killed an animal, entered a settlement) and the date and time it was done (e.g. Day 3 of last week before midsummer point - year 16 - noon).  You start in year 16.

It's year 19 so that makes him 3 or 4 years old.