Topic: dog food. what do they eat?  (Read 13817 times)

shorun

« on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:27 PM »
like the topic says, but more specificly, if i skin a carcass (bird, hare, small things) and trow it in the dogpen just like that, will they eat it?

other then that, what sorts of food do they eat?

i know they eat raw and spoiled uncooked meat and fat.

powderhound522

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
I don't think they'll eat a whole carcass, except for fish (which are treated differently by the game). You have to butcher the animal, and then they'll eat the cuts of meat regardless of preparation (raw, cooked, dried, etc) or state (fresh, stale, spoiled).

It's only wild predators that won't eat cooked meat - dogs have no problem with it.

shorun

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »
I don't think they'll eat a whole carcass, except for fish (which are treated differently by the game). You have to butcher the animal, and then they'll eat the cuts of meat regardless of preparation (raw, cooked, dried, etc) or state (fresh, stale, spoiled).

It's only wild predators that won't eat cooked meat - dogs have no problem with it.

so i should not trow carcasses to my dogs.

does this count for the spoiled verions of cooked meat to? can i trow some dried meat at them, and expect them to eat it when it's rotten?

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »

does this count for the spoiled verions of cooked meat to? can i trow some dried meat at them, and expect them to eat it when it's rotten?

Dogs won't eat "spoiled" cooked food. They will eat any condition "raw" meat.
They will eat unspoiled cooked meats.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

shorun

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:10 PM »

Dogs won't eat "spoiled" cooked food. They will eat any condition "raw" meat.
They will eat unspoiled cooked meats.

so i can feed my dogs anything my own character would eat. as long as it's meat or fish. got it.

no more keeping meat apart for the dogs, they'll just get their daily ration just like me!

Saiko Kila

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
Dogs do eat a carcass, including rotten one, but they must be starving to do so. In one sitting they can eat about 20 lbs of meat, which is why eating humans may take some time. I use a pack of dogs for disposing of evidence (i.e. robbers and Njerps). They can eat the whole carcass, if it is small enough. Sometimes they are picky, and don't eat one particular carcass, just rearrange then.

Still, this is not really useful for keeping dogs satiated, because they must be hungry enough, which takes some time to accomplish, and they are barking in meantime. It's just that dogs can eat some things which are not readily eaten by PC (spoiled raw meat when not starving, or rotten carcass), and sometimes you can utilize this.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
I generally feed my dogs spoiled (raw) meat. I keep a large pile of it from which the dog can feed itself when hungry, but I also give it a piece of meat each morning (and 3 when they bark with hunger, unless they've fed themselves while my character finishes the current task).
Fresh meat is kept in a cellar, but tossed onto the dog food pile when it goes stale or spoiled (so it will stack properly).

Also note that dogs will nibble from dried and smoked food as well, so you may very well find some of it missing when you collect it.

As mentioned, spoiled prepared food is completely useless and should be Destroyed.

caius

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
I feed them my left over bland and normal grade smoked/dried meat.  The tasty and delicious stuff is for me.