Topic: ModernNorseman's Portrait Mod 2.0 (Updated November '23, 1000 unique portraits)  (Read 9253 times)

ModernNorseman

« on: November 25, 2022, 10:15:03 PM »
I'm glad to be able to release version 2.0 of my portrait mod. The old version contained 327 unique portraits, this new version contains 1000 unique portraits.

As previously mentioned, unpack the file with for example winrar, and copy all the imagefiles to the "truegfx" folder in your UnrealWorld folder. It's about 150 mb, as it's actually 2000 images because portraits of men is used in three categories - east, north and west, and the images of the categories, old men and sages, are the same. Due to the size, I have used mediafire to distribute this time.

Version 2.0
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5ylr9aa6zwcrn3z/ModernNorsemans_Portrait_Mod_2.0.rar/file

All portraits have been made by using artflow.ai.

Thank you for all the positive responses for the old version, I hope you will like this one as well.

Original post below
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I always saw Unreal World as one of the most immersive games I have ever played, and thanks to a tip from forum user MilitanttiTalitintti (Many thanks!) I started to create AI generated portraits that I deemed immersive to the game, through the website artflow.ai. With Sami upgrading the amount of available portraits ingame, it is my goal to keep this project going until all slots have been fully filled, so there will be alot of variety when meeting characters in the unreal world.

Adding these portraits is very easy - download the .rar file, unpack and copy all the images to the folder "truegfx" in your Unreal World folder, and overwrite existing files.

As for the version 1.0 there is currently 327 unique portraits. The pack of images of males are the same for all three categories (west, north, east) but renaming then can easily divide them up if you want. The amount of portraits per category are as follows:

Male: 130 portraits
Female: 60 portraits
Girl: 41 portraits
Boy: 44 portraits
Old male: 34
Sage: 18

I hope the portraits can be of joy for fellow Unreal World gamers, and I will continue the update the mod in the future to add many more portraits.

Due to the size of the folder (Approx. 50 mb), the following link will lead to downloading the folder from dropbox.com.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h89vm85d7aqu8ov/ModernNorseman%27s%20Portrait%20Mod%20V1.0.rar?dl=0

@ruskerdax have created a version of these portraits created on artflow.ai with the watermark removed, which can be downloaded from the following link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vnW4q-ib4IMRHXnwIGoXLxOZlMFPj85i/view?usp=drivesdk

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 08:55:55 AM by ModernNorseman »

Bert Preast

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 12:16:12 AM »
*applause*

rudy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
Love it!

ruskerdax

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 04:39:52 PM »
Hi, @ModernNorseman !

I love this portrait pack you made. Unfortunately I found the watermark in the corner of every image to be a tad distracting. I understand why they put a watermark, but considering this is for personal use to mod a game we're all just playing by ourselves, and not some commercial project, I went ahead and did what came naturally to me and removed the watermarks using Photoshop.  ;D

If it's okay with you, I'd like to share it; however it looks like I'm unable to post external links. Would you be interested in this version? I can figure out a way to send it to you somehow if you'd like. Please let me know!

Erkka

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 07:30:14 PM »
however it looks like I'm unable to post external links.

We apologize for the inconvenience! There was a time when we needed to fight spambots on daily basis, otherwise they would've flooded the forums with their spam. Unfortunately, seems like to stop the bots it was necessary to make some compromises with user experience. So, any forum member needs to make a few posts - and if they don't get deleted by then, the system will automatically grant the right to post external links. Just keep on participating in the discussion and soon you can post external links too.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Privateer

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 07:34:16 PM »
Hi, @ModernNorseman !

I understand why they put a watermark, but considering this is for personal use to mod a game we're all just playing by ourselves,

Since you understand why the watermark is placed, I think changing them for your own personal use is fine. However, "Distributing" the images with the watermark removed may open a remote chance at a copywrite violation?
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

ruskerdax

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 09:04:07 PM »
I wouldn't think it would be a copyright issue, otherwise the developers open themselves up similarly to claims from anyone who created artwork that was used to train the model. I also think nobody is likely to attempt to file such a claim. My own personal feeling is that it should be cool to upload and share unless it becomes a problem, at which point it can be removed or amended somehow.

ruskerdax

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 09:33:52 PM »
We apologize for the inconvenience!
Don't sweat it! I haven't been on these forums in quite awhile, since you switched to this new system. It's all good!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 12:47:33 AM by ruskerdax »

ModernNorseman

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 09:54:28 PM »
Hi, @ModernNorseman !

I love this portrait pack you made. Unfortunately I found the watermark in the corner of every image to be a tad distracting. I understand why they put a watermark, but considering this is for personal use to mod a game we're all just playing by ourselves, and not some commercial project, I went ahead and did what came naturally to me and removed the watermarks using Photoshop.  ;D

If it's okay with you, I'd like to share it; however it looks like I'm unable to post external links. Would you be interested in this version? I can figure out a way to send it to you somehow if you'd like. Please let me know!

Hi ruskerdax.

I kept them on for, as mentioned, to avoid any issues regarding copywrite violations, but since you mentioned it, I went and checked up on it. artflow.ai says the following: "All content are licensed under CC BY 4.0.". Looking up the CC BY 4.0, it is further explained:

You are free to:
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.

Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

I would certainly think that this means, that we can remove the watermark, as long as we make sure we communicate that these has been made with the artflow.ai software, and that the watermark have been removed. If you send them to me, I'll make sure to upload them and specify that this is the case :)

ruskerdax

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 10:12:12 PM »
I would certainly think that this means, that we can remove the watermark, as long as we make sure we communicate that these has been made with the artflow.ai software, and that the watermark have been removed. If you send them to me, I'll make sure to upload them and specify that this is the case :)
Excellent! Let me DM you.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »
Nice work! I'll have to include this when I get back into URW. What you showcased look better than what I generated.

Brygun

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 11:35:52 PM »
It may be a bit necro to post...

Wanted to say really enjoying this. For one there was a lot more options for picking out my new long play character (Calle, see the story forums).  It wasn't yet another of the same 4-6 that I like but a whooooole lot of options. so I could get into his head space better.

also meeting people now feels like meeting new people. The limited selection of vanilla (understandable as its just one part of the complicated game) meant seeing the same person after many days of travel. How did they get here before me? Well they didnt but it looked like it. Now its always new people.

I have occassionally seen the vanilla pics pop up which I'm fine with. Those now rare moments remind me of earlier play throughs. Also there is a history of fans submitting pics of themselves which made it into those protraits. AFAIK I wasnt one of them... my kit was a bit after the time period of unreal world.

ModernNorseman

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2023, 09:13:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have uploaded a new version containing around 3 times the amount of portraits. Hope you will enjoy :)

Brygun

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 07:31:40 AM »
I was migrating CALLE to 3.82. Downloaded your 2nd version. Found his face wasn't the same.

Cleared the truegfx, restored vanilla graphics, installed the 1st version and his face was as before.

I suspect the file name was reused or adjusted to cause this.

Advise future updates to avoid changing overwriting existing choices as players may already have them associated with a character or an NPC in their game.

ModernNorseman

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 07:53:59 PM »
I was migrating CALLE to 3.82. Downloaded your 2nd version. Found his face wasn't the same.

Cleared the truegfx, restored vanilla graphics, installed the 1st version and his face was as before.

I suspect the file name was reused or adjusted to cause this.

Advise future updates to avoid changing overwriting existing choices as players may already have them associated with a character or an NPC in their game.

Hi Brygun,

Yes, all the new portraits were variants of the previous versions, including some new alternations. The order of the pictures are is completely random, so that would definately cause older saves to have different faces for all characters. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.

anything