Topic: Make Mushrooms Useful Mod (Very unbalanced)  (Read 168 times)

Fakiroen

« on: March 26, 2024, 11:28:19 PM »
Hello!

I played for a month (IRL), really disliked I can only boil mushrooms in a pot.
- Pot is very expensive in the early game
- Pot can hold 6 lbs
- can only boil 1lb of mushrooms at time
- very painful inventory management (must transfer the boiled mushrooms to an empty bowl, too much clicking)
- cant combine different mushrooms into the same bowl.
- Mushroom soup requires 2lbs of mushrooms, but those need to be boiled separately first. Extremely annoying inventory management.

1) At first I created a "pot" item Stones and Wooden Bowl. You can heat up stones a use them to boil water even in wooden containers without burning them IRL. To balance it I made it only hold 1lb.

{Rock} (5) [remove] [noquality]
{Axe}       <Carving axe> [optional]   
{Knife}   
[TYPE:container]
[CONT_CAPACITY:1]
[PRICE:0.1]

2) Then I realised this does not help the inventory management at all, I still have to transfer to bowls, or create several "pots" for one soup, which is annoying.
So I decided to make roast mushrooms recipe. Roasting mushrooms reduces their water contains, allowing to reduce weight by cca 66%.
{Mushrooms}      #2.5#    [remove] [roast] [ground] [patchwise]
{Knife}   '+for chopping and peeling'
{Seasoning}   #0.5#   [remove] [optional] [roast] [ground] [patchwise]
[COOK_WEIGHT_DIV:3]

3) Then I realised the poison will not get removed since the mushrooms were not boiled in the pot or in the "pot".
My patience ran out. I deleted all POISONOUS statuses from all mushrooms which were edible _after_boiling.
And since I hated there is literally nothing to eat when you spawn in summer time with a new character, I made the mushrooms to be ripe from April to November.
This makes the game very unbalanced, but much less annoying if you like to gather mushrooms

Thoughts behind this
+ Raw mushrooms are heavy and get stale quick.
+ this motivates the player to actually roast them instead of eating raw.
- Food is now very accessible and hunger is no longer a problem.
+ Food does not solve anything in this game. Mushrooms are worthless, will not get you tools or skills. Mushrooms will not give you furs for winter or long-lasting dried food.
+ You have to spend a lot of IRL time to actually pick enough mushrooms. Hunting big game is still preferable and more rewarding than running around a forest with a basket

So if you agree with this philosophy, feel free to inspire from this. Feel free to balance it.
Have fun your own way.
I am sure I will.

Happy gathering and be sure to back-up original files!

anything