Topic: Carrying Penatly and fatigue tested  (Read 7749 times)

Pet94er

« on: July 02, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »
Hi, I did some interesting tests about game engine. ::)
I discovered that fatigue when running very strictly depend even on very small (as I was thingking before) Carrying Penatly.

On my character 253lbs I can still carry 25lbs weared clothes without any penatly. Its seems like 10% maybe is free.
During the test I was running 1 big map tile island from 1 shore to another and back. It was 66 tiles x2 = 132tiles = 264m.
I did many same runs to be sure, and every time effect was same.

When I wasn't carry anything except my weared clothes my carring penatly was 0%
0% carrying penatly --> 22% of fatigue after run.

You can't carry any equipment to stay with penatly 0%, even smallest knife make it-1%.
Game mechanic dont cunt weight directly, you can have few pounds or kg more if you still fit in penatly limit which looks like this:

cp = carrying penatly
--> fatigue after 132 tiles of distance runned
cp   0 % --> 22%
cp   1 % --> 44% 
cp 2-4% --> 64%
cp 5-6% --> 86%
cp 7% stoped at 95% fatigue around 25 tiles to end, wasn't able to run anymore :o

I didn't check if big penatly affect combat fatigue also the same way, but I gues its work like this.

Now you know why this njerpz civilians get you so fast and why they are so hard to beat.
This kids and womans dont have weapons and armor. From crowd of 10 civilians there always are 1-2 or 3 fast with high dodge.
Even if you going to kill them full heavy armored without any running, your fatigue probably will be same extremally high after few attacks becasue it looks like combat is affected same as running.
I can still take Longbow, 2 knives, and 20 of arrows and fit in 1% penatly including light weared armor( penatly free) ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:22:09 AM by Pet94er »

Pet94er

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 05:22:18 AM »
I interpreted it wrongly yeasterday so I had to modify it:
It was like this:
cp1-2% --> 44% 
cp3-4% --> 64%
I checked it 3 times and now is correctly.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 11:28:49 PM »
Nice work!

Encumbrance also has very noticeable effect on tasks like felling trees.
2% penalty and felling a large tree fatigues the character to 20-30% range. Same character, encumbrance at 30%: can’t fell a tree without rest. 

Matti-patti

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 09:58:37 PM »
Have you explored how carrying penalty affects other activities, particularly combat, beyond running, and have you noticed similar effects on fatigue?

They have similar effect. I haven't tested it systematically so not sure of the exact ratios (but likely they are exactly same as for running), but there are very notable differences in fatigue build-up from heavy duty work at 0% (tool on the ground) and say 2%.

More generally, it's worth noting that the fatigue build-up is NOT based flat on the percentage of encumbrance penalty, it's more fine grained than that. For instance, a character might have same rate of fatigue build-up at 0% and 1%, but if they pick some more stuff (while still remaining within 1%) they can start becoming tired more quickly.