Topic: Use of a dead vagabond as bait  (Read 3083 times)

Bert Preast

« on: September 05, 2021, 09:19:22 PM »
I have in my possession the recently and most tragically deceased body of a young vagabond adventurer.  I found I can neither butcher nor skin him, so I lobbed his corpse onto one of my trap pits to serve as bait.

I have already got over the moral implications of this; reasoning that it is simply an iron-age method of donating one's body to science, which I feel sure this young man would have wanted.  It's a strictly technical question - are his rotting remains likely to help catch me a bear?

Actually you can slate my morals if you see fit, but I just got the "unity with the forest" message so I am sleeping soundly no matter what you may think  ;D

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 11:34:57 PM »
 I believe it is suitable 'bait' for a bear if there is evidence of one in the area.
Might also for for wolves.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 08:44:25 AM »
Carcasses can be used as bait for raven, but I haven't seen anything else eat carcasses (I'm excluding the half eaten carcasses left behind by the animals that originally killed them, as I haven't seen them return).

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 10:48:45 AM »
I was somewhat upset when doing the unfortunate hunting accident that someone had made moral judgements on my behalf and prevented me from skinning and butchering my father, what a waste of resources.

Later I found someone skinning a bull elk in one of my traps, I made short work of him and rescued my winter food supply and clothing. I left his body as bait in the trap but never caught anything.

Bert Preast

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 06:24:32 PM »
Update:  A couple of months on and the unfortunate vagabond is now just a pile of bones.  His trap pit didn't catch anything; but then in a trap line of 15 pits - all the others baited with more conventional fare - all I got was one careless elk, so I declare the results "inconclusive".  Still, that's science for you!

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 04:26:52 PM »
Your hungry dogs will happily eat the whole body until there's nothing left, as long as you don't touch the body.
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

anything