Topic: Does killing dogs have consequences?  (Read 7202 times)

Homocommando

« on: February 22, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »
I have camp close to village, and noticed some dogs wandering there, stealing my food (they were probably from village(?)). So I decided to kill them.
Is there any way villagers can know about this and become hostile to me because of it? Or can I feel safe?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:41:26 PM »
I'd expect them to know about it. Regardless, if village dogs come to your site you're probably settling within the village's "territory", with various other negative side effects, so I'd recommend a relocation.

There are reports of villagers putting stuff in player camps that are too close and then consider it theft when the players take those items. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also use your stuff (that's been reported when dropping items in villages, anyway).

Homocommando

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »
Uhhh...
How far away from village I have to be?

trowftd

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:12:24 PM »
To be safe put a tile between you and the village (on the bigger map). So that you need to move 2 tiles on the bigger map. I think you can get away with half a tile but, you don't need to be that close to villages imo. If you look at the top of screen while in the village, it changes when you are outside the village borders.

Homocommando

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 02:26:10 PM »
But I am one tile away already.
If we say village is on coordinates 0, 0 and a tile is equal to one, then my camp is on position 1, -2

Galgana

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »
I once caught a village dog in my roadside trapline (about 1.5 big tiles away from the village terrain). Nobody in town got upset about it because the dog had died in the trap while I was away. The people don't even object to already dead livestock being skinned and butchered inside the village pen.

If dogs are bothering you, build a fence around your camp. A fence will keep dogs and other domestic animals on one side. However, there are many wild animals capable of crossing fences.

Erkka

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 02:35:01 PM »
If we say village is on coordinates 0, 0 and a tile is equal to one, then my camp is on position 1, -2

Are there any fields around the village? Consider the village as a single farm house with an extended family living in it. From their point of view their ownership extends to lands around their home.

To be safe, I'd have three tiles between my camp and the village, ie. moving at least to 1, - 4
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

trowftd

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »
To be safe, I'd have three tiles between my camp and the village, ie. moving at least to 1, - 4

Wow. I did not realise that their ownership of lands extend that much. So this means if I build a cabin between their farmlands, they will continue to bother me? Because I did not have any penalties for stealing all of their crops (It was for the test I promise).

Erkka

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »
  Because I did not have any penalties for stealing all of their crops

Lucky you  :D
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Homocommando

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 03:08:58 PM »
But there is a river ://

And well, there are fields, and apparently my camp is on a pasture.
I think I will just stay here for now, I don't have much things they could take from me, and they don't even wander there themselves, but I can gain fur, and meat from these dogs. But thanks for advice anyway
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:43:18 PM by Homocommando »

Erkka

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 03:13:37 PM »
But there is a river ://

Hehe, well, but this is Finland  :D

Historically it has been rather common that a house on the one side of a river owns lands on the opposite side of that river as well. River is not seen as an obstacle, but more like an ancient equivalent of A-road, allowing easy travelling of short and long distances.

PALU

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 05:39:38 PM »
Pastures belong to villages, so you're actually squatting on their land.

You can steal their harvest on the fields and pastures as long as nobody sees you, although I think they get suspicious if you steal much (I haven't tried, though).

Homocommando

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 08:17:40 PM »
Pastures belong to villages, so you're actually squatting on their land.

You can steal their harvest on the fields and pastures as long as nobody sees you, although I think they get suspicious if you steal much (I haven't tried, though).
If nobody sees me?
Does that mean I could pick up items I like, drop them near villge border, and then come back at night, and take them, when everybody is sleeping?

Privateer

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »
No, moving items over distance aggravates townsfolk.
Also they have "ESP" about stealing, it doesn't matter if anyone sees you. Most likely because you could pick up something out of sight, then walk up to a random person and 'pay for goods'. Somehow the NPC needs to the totality of what you 'have'.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 11:18:36 PM »
Think of it this way:

You’re farming some turnips, grains, hemp. For years you and your family does this.

Then one year, there’s a newcomer who pitches his tent where your cows graze. Half your turnips go missing.
You’ve not seen any other strangers.

Where do you think your produce went?

Personally I think the villagers are too kind. I’d be looking for an empty sack and some rope. And couple stones.