Topic: Building a fireplace outside of a house  (Read 5578 times)

paulkorotoon

« on: October 13, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
So, recently I've got an idea of how to build a nice fireplace in my courtyard, and all of a sudden it worked.

Here's howto:
1. Build a corner, two walls and a ceiling.
2. Build a fireplace.
3. Deconstruct the walls.

Can't say for sure though if this doesn't break something. Has anyone tried this before?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:06:29 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

paulkorotoon

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
Well, I can't smoke meat and don't get warm if not standing close to the fireplace, so I guess everything works fine. Two corners and a wall in between are enough for building ceiling too.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 05:00:19 AM »
You can also build roof and floor on the side of middle tile of 3 consecutive wall sections.

Not that corner/straight wall section building requirements would be different from each.

If you do the outdoor fireplace, I’d make it 2 “indoor tiles”, then you can sleep, covered from rain&snowfall, next to fireplace.

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 05:08:08 AM »
Ona similar note, I usually build a “porch”: roof&floor, outside the cabin. With a table, usually tile or 2 from the door. Right under a shutter. So after tanning a hide, outdoors (as tanning is stinky business), my character can throw the fur/leather on the workbench table on the other side of the shutter. That’s  of course a separate table from the dining table.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
Nice!

Does it also warm you up when the fire ran out and embers are glowing?

Also quite cool idea with that porch, love that.

goin' to copy your playstyle shamelessly

paulkorotoon

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
Didn't checked this. I use it mainly for cooking. I also imagine this fireplace and two birches with bears skulls hanged onto them to be some kind of an altar. If my character wants to make a sacrifice, she always stands in front of this place.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Buoidda

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
You can also deconstruct the insides and the frame of your big kota with the walls still in place. That way I think its also possible to build insides of building, including a fireplace inside the 3x3 space within kota walls. I did the deconstructing part and can't see why the rest wouldn't work.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »
@Buoidda, just tried building a fireplace inside my kota, it didn't worked (game says you can build it only in a location that has a floor and ceiling present). I guess the reason is, kota's inside is different from building's inside.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
Paul, did you try to deconstruct Kota interior, then build wooden structure roof&floor?

I think the Kota walls within game mechanics count as wall to support the roof. Alas, I do t have a kota available to my current characters.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
Paul, did you try to deconstruct Kota interior, then build wooden structure roof&floor?
Surprisingly it worked!

I've just tried different layouts and figured out that it's enough to build a kota framework and two kota insides with a one-tile gap between them, and after that you can build a floor and ceiling at this gap.

It seems we've found the fastest way to get a fireplace outside.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:13:34 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Buoidda

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 09:11:19 PM »
What I meant was to deconstruct was the all the kota interiors and the framework too. The kota walls stay intact if they were outside the framework. Then in the completely empty 3x3 - I speculated - one can start build cabin walls and ceilings once there are three cabin walls. But never mind - you found even simpler solution. Well done!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:15:43 PM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 04:49:03 AM »
Nice!

Also quite cool idea with that porch, love that.

goin' to copy your playstyle shamelessly

Please go ahead and build a porch!

I earlier missed your question about the heat. Yes, sadly it does warm up outside As well. It’s a little bit immersion breaking to tan a hide at the porch, on the coldest evening of the year and be “sweating a lot”

If/when Enormous Elks implement inside corner for log structures and if it still then warms up the porch areas, I’ll need to open a Bug ticket then. Would be conditional if area should/shouldn’t get heated on an unfinished/finished structures.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »
hm... strangely it does not warm up my character!?
i built mine next to my kota, and when i got out of the water after swimming training, i thought i could warm up but it didnt work. But perhaps the effect was just so small i didnt notice. Anyway, it is a great way to save on firewood and slow climate change!
Btw, i finally learned the difference between a heated fireplace and a lit fire when trying out cooking recipes and i wondered why i cant steam my turnips on the open fire. I should have known because im a chef in real life...  they would burn of course  :)

It was just another situation showing me again that realistic, plain logic is just a big part of this game and can answer many of our questions.

I think a stone fireplace is giving some warmth, but not as much as an open bonfire outside. Could be enough for sweating in the coldest environment, if you wear good fur clothing... Unless you were tanning naked... :o
In that case, it really would break the immersion.

But doing things naked(but swimming) to keep penalties low breaks immersion for me anyway ;) :P ;D

JP_Finn

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
Possible that the fire inside wasn't heated up all the way since fire mechanic changed in 3.63.

If you build the porch just a single tile, then table on top, it doesn't even show the gray floor graphic, as the table covers it.
You can't build the porch on the corner, as the roof-floor needs 3 adjacent existing structures. (unless you build by wall, then towards the corner and then deconstruct the "3rd tile support" by the wall)