Topic: 3.63 New fire mechanics  (Read 10000 times)

StefanPravda

« on: July 09, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
Quick question about this:
"In the previous versions smoking succeeded if the room was heated once, and the process required no further maintenance. Now the heating must be maintained through the whole process."

If you leave your base for far away lands, do you still need to maintain heat? Or because the tile isn't processed properly since you are not around, you don't.

Thanks

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:44:12 PM »
Quick question about this:
"In the previous versions smoking succeeded if the room was heated once, and the process required no further maintenance. Now the heating must be maintained through the whole process."

If you leave your base for far away lands, do you still need to maintain heat? Or because the tile isn't processed properly since you are not around, you don't.

Thanks

Things are tracked despite of you being away, so you still have to maintain it.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

StefanPravda

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 01:50:24 PM »
Thank you.

White Hair

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 02:56:29 AM »
What if you smoke meat in a village sauna building? They light the fireplace pretty much every day. Would that be tracked and allow the smoked meat process to succeed?

koteko

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »
What if you smoke meat in a village sauna building? They light the fireplace pretty much every day. Would that be tracked and allow the smoked meat process to succeed?

I'm not completely sure, but I think you can't smoke food in a sauna anymore (just like you cannot pour water on the normal fireplace, to bathe).

trowftd

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »
I'm not completely sure, but I think you can't smoke food in a sauna anymore (just like you cannot pour water on the normal fireplace, to bathe).

The smoking description says that you need to be in a heated room, preferably a sauna, though. I think you still can smoke with a sauna stove.

koteko

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 08:56:32 PM »
Yeah I'm probably wrong  :D

Privateer

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 10:49:21 PM »
 You can smoke with a sauna,
Sami said that now the 'smoking' process now has it's own 'timers' which are active even while the PC is away.
Villages / Settlements afaik are not tracked and monitored when the PC is away.

Question is has the sim created a new 'ghost'? Will the active meat timer cause activities in NPC settlements?

My guess is no, and meat will spoil.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

jc_rabbit

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »
I experimented with smoking recently. I smoked 150 cuts of bear meat in my cabin and 34 cuts in a nearby village (~50 tiles away). I tried to go back to the cabin to burn 16 branches everyday. According to my notes, I missed the last couple of days.

In my cabin -- I ended up with ~90 cuts, which means 60 cuts were lost to spoilage. I don't know what happened to the cuts in the village. I didn't see them when I went back. Perhaps I picked them up and forgot to write it down. Perhaps they were lost to a glitch.

It is so much easier to dry meats during the winter. Smoking feel hardly worthwhile.

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 07:40:02 AM »
yeah I saw partial spoilage too

At first I thought it was a bug but it is probably the game mechanic.

Tuukka had built his smoker starter cabin at a rapids which was ~15 wilderness tiles from his first camp with fields ~5 tiles north of that. The coming and going to gather the harvest in the pre-winter-frenzy surely left some errors in smoking. Still given the amount of large game his traps caught he's fine.

I was going on the stoking fire before leaving and right away upon returning. Some stays likely crossed over timers.

Also Im not sure if you need a blazing fire or if the burned-out in the fireplace is sufficient to count as smoking.

JP_Finn

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »
@Brygun, the discussion on Dev.note for 3.63 fire changes includes some better information, here’s one of Sami’s responses:
Will hot embers of campfire/bonfire count as heated fireplace for cooking stews?

No. Heated fireplace needs to be a heated fireplace.

Re: smoking, is daily burnt minimum fire enough? 16 branches or 4 firewood as that heats up the fireplace? Or do we need to start burning slender trunks or blocks now? Little hint would be appreciated!

4 firewoods sounds sounds a bit too low. Common sense can be followed here - you don't warm up a cold fireplace with a fire that lasts just half an hour or so.
And the smoking also requires smoke, which diminished when the fire dies out. I'd say ten firewoods on daily basis would do.

Will Kota be considered heated room with fire/embers now?

No.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:31:09 PM by JP_Finn »

Brygun

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 01:58:28 AM »
Hmm thanks for the extra information.

I was well below 10 firewoods a day (15 lbs of wood). Typically twice a day 3 branches and 3 firewoods, so around 7 firewoods a day was partial spoilage.

Reading it now the "common sense" of fire tending in societies of electricity users I almost laughed at. Almost no one I know, other than the UrW devs, has smoked meat and I've never done it in the real world. So what would common sense be of something you've never done nor seen?

Question:
Can we burn the 15 lbs of firewood all at once each day for a 100% smoke yield?

Recommend some clearer instructions on smoking in the enyclopedia or someplace.

JP_Finn

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 06:21:10 AM »
In the dev thread there was another response from Sami saying that missed day’s heating could be remedied by burning the fire longer the next day. I’ve been burning a block and 3 branches a day smoking and not have spoilage. (20-24 firewood’s worth). Half should do, but I rather cut down 2 additional trees than risk wasting dozens of pounds of meat going bad. Since the 3.63, My characters don’t summer hunt really except to get bare minimum sustenance. One even ... gasp... fishes regularly in summertime.
Winters are for stocking up on couple thousand cuts of dried meats now.

JP_Finn

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 06:26:57 AM »
@Brygun To heat up a 3 bedroom single story house, you’re looking at roughly 8 logs of 6”x6” and 2’ long. That’s with modern insulation and not include smoke generation (we have chimneys now...)

Sauna stove takes lot less* and only needs to heat up a single room really.

*some 3-5 sets of 3” splits at foot long heats up ~10lbs of sauna stones to comfy 90C
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:54:09 PM by JP_Finn »

rudy

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 01:09:32 AM »
I think that room size might matter? Only because I had a 1x2 cabin interior (only enough for the stove and smoked meats; it was specifically my smoking cabin), and I did 3 firewoods and 3 branches once a day with very, very little spoilage.