Topic: Field dress/quarter big game  (Read 6418 times)

Ara D.

« on: November 09, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
Option to field dress or quarter game. It might make the difference in weight reduction to be able to pick or pack carcasses and transport back to a preferred processing location.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Would be a reasonable addition, and working on this would also turn focus to maybe adding organs and blood too. We'll consider.
Heavy carcasses, big elks and such, would probably still remain a burden to transport as field dressing on average reduces the living weight by 30% or so.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Buoidda

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
Necromancy! I'm so waiting for this.

Field dressing, Most interested in getting:
- that 30% weight reduction (elk bowels weigh a shit-ton, quite literally)
- blood to container (4-8 litres from a reindeer)
- intestine
- technically: new, optional(?) procedure before skinning (I mean one could also just start skinning, get the field dressing done automatically and not take blood or intestine)

Possible additions (one hundredth the importance of above):
- heart (maybe bigger than usual sacrifice "value"?)
- liver

Quartering big game: BIGGIE. Love that.
After some English googling, butchers' vocabulary can be overwhelming. I suggest simply dividing current meat yield into 5 equal parts:
- 4 quarters (4 parts)
- extra cuts of meat (1 part)
- backstrap sinew/tendon (removed after skinning with help of knife and pulling with rope; before cutting the backstrap and ruining it too short)
- this would solve unobvious problems discussed here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5694.0
- technically: 'b'utcher 5 times: each time u get a quarter, last time the rest

Other possibilities (one hundredth the importance of above):
- 2 forequarters (2 parts)
- 2 hindquarters (2 parts)
- head
- back
- flank (or rib slab)
- neck

Each of these could then be cut into the familiar cuts of meat. Each quarter would yield 1 bone after cutting, and ofc the head, a skull. Great immersion value here.

Imagine watching your dog gnawing the frozen elk quarter for days.

Quartering and Packing Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HOzXjeyrVg
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:59:08 AM by Buoidda »

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:33:44 AM »
BAC also has calls for the "backstrap" which is the spinal area tendons. Those are really strong. They make good cordage, bow strings and so on.

Be nice to see in the field dressing the backstrap show up as a form of tying equipment.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 04:56:15 PM »
I like the idea, although i would recommend not to make this too complex at first.

perhaps like this: When you bring down a deer, either field dress or butcher some of it instantly, if you are hungry. If you field dress first, you get 1 part for every, say 20/30 lmbs or so. Ofc it should take longer when you try to butcher the whole carcass in small cuts without dissecting it first, as it is not an efficient technique.

Also primary cuts could last longer, and hanging it on the side of your shelter with some withes may let it last a bit longer, compared to small cuts. if outside temperature should be around 1-2° Celsius, up to 1 week. half a day only if it gets hot in the summer(25 °C).

I would not fix it on actual butcher-terminologies nor distinguish between the quarters or parts, as these are very cultural-dependant and not really important. Honestly, its just important to cut the animal in smaller pieces, so a description like "primary cut of ***" should be sufficient.

I very much also like the idea of using the innards also, as for me it is a kind of a "moral" matter. For me, using or eating the intestines instead of dumping them is a sign/demonstration of respect towards the killed animal. If i think about it... spirits could – no should(!) punish you if you just hunt the elk, eat some steaks and leave the rest to rot...