Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336871 times)

« Reply #705 on: January 12, 2021, 06:02:21 AM »
What does "Fibre from* for thin tying" stand for? The basegame crafting instructs where/how to get the lacking materials, but this mod doesn't do that at all, and the descriptions are often vague, like the aforementioned 'fibre from*'.

rudy

« Reply #706 on: January 12, 2021, 06:09:31 AM »
I'll also note, in terms of saving menu space for other mods, that I collapse Hideworking and Boneworking into one menu, Bone and Hide, which fits everything.

I suggest renaming "Armor Group One" to just Armor, since there is no group two.

rudy

« Reply #707 on: January 12, 2021, 06:11:06 AM »
What does "Fibre from* for thin tying" stand for? The basegame crafting instructs where/how to get the lacking materials, but this mod doesn't do that at all, and the descriptions are often vague, like the aforementioned 'fibre from*'.
It's the extract fibre option, under Weaving menu.

You need to soak the plants, then dry them, then extract the fibre from them.

« Reply #708 on: January 12, 2021, 08:05:49 AM »
It's the extract fibre option, under Weaving menu.

You need to soak the plants, then dry them, then extract the fibre from them.
Thank you

rudy

« Reply #709 on: January 12, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »
brygun, two other things you mentioned earlier:

String: If the only point of the recipe is a higher quality cord, then call the recipe "Refined Cord" or something.

clay: I change the skill from WEATHERLORE to COMMON and then increase the skill bonus by %30%. 

Clay fish decoration is WAY too valuable, I have to think it's a typo/mistake. Compare its price to the other craftable options. I do price 15 > 1.5.  Also "Cave playset" should probably be "Clay playset"?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:34:08 PM by rudy »

rudy

« Reply #710 on: January 12, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
Barkware stuff:

Extra rowan and spruce fibre recipes should probably be producing (7) like the birch bark recipe just below them. As so:

Spoiler: show
.Extract Rowan fibre. (7) "Hunting horn"   *CARPENTRY*   /15/ %-20%   [patch]    [effort:1]    [phys:arms,stance] [assist:1]
{Rowan bark}    #1# [remove] [patchwise] [ground] [name:fibre of %s] 'rowan bark'
{Beater}          [noquality] '+for scutching'
[NAME:fibre from rowan-bast]
[TYPE:tool]
[WEIGHT:0.1]
[PRICE:0]
[TILEGFX:bc-fibre]

// Adapted from Bouidda 2.1
.Extract Spruce fibre. (7)  "Hunting horn"   *CARPENTRY*   /45/ %-50%   [patch:5]    [effort:0]    [phys:arms,stance] [assist:1]
{Spruce sapling}    [remove] [patchwise] [ground] [noquality]
{Fire}            [noquality] '+for softening inner sap'
{Beater}          [noquality] '+for scutching'
[NAME:fibre from spruce-bast]

.Extract Birch fibre. "Hunting horn" (7) [phys:hands,one-armed] *HIDEWORKING* %-70% /1h/ [patch:5]
{*Birch-bark*}   #1#   [remove] [noquality] [patchwise] [name:Fibre from birch-bark]
{Knife}             [noquality]
[MATERIAL:birch-bark]

These recipes seem to be fully pointless:

.Trim Birch-bark.
.Tall roll of Birch-bark.
.Opened roll of Birch-bark.

I've commented those out myself, move the bark clothing back to the Clothing submenu, and then combined the bark and earthenware menus, "Bark and Clay".

Large clay amphora tub I also recommend removing. It's stupidly large, way too big for the player to actually make.

rudy

« Reply #711 on: January 12, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:10:10 PM by rudy »

rudy

« Reply #712 on: January 13, 2021, 02:59:12 AM »
Minor issue:

The yard created by .Spin Yarn. under the Weaving menu has "cord" as its base item, and thus under the new tying system has (15 ft) on the end of its name, and can be subdivided into sections.  As does .Unravel woollen cloth into yarn. under the Knitting menu.

The yard created by .Shred Linen for Yarn., under the Weaving menu, has "Hunting Horn" as its base item, and so does not count as cord for these purposes, and does not have the (15 ft) on its name.

Both work for creating clothing out of, but it's an inconsistency. If you want yarn to be usable as cord, then all three should both be based on cord. If not, then all three should be Hunting Horn.

Brygun

« Reply #713 on: January 13, 2021, 06:16:19 AM »

These recipes seem to be fully pointless:

.Trim Birch-bark.
.Tall roll of Birch-bark.
.Opened roll of Birch-bark.

Trim Birch-bark allows dismantling any birch bark object espically the rolls as per notes:
// 3.60 cut birch-bark off existing items for cordage
// meant to help digest tree roll of birch

Tall roll and openend roll are related to the Canadian style birch-bark canoe. Here in Canada we have a heritage of birch bark canoes. They are not made from tiny strips but from huge as much as you can get off in one piece sheets. These rolls  might have issues for crafting smaller things so the trim recipe is there for that.

A "cost" to these rolls in the game is that it totally deletes a tree trunk. If we had multiple outputs I might do the tree roll and a "log" as an output.

Saami has advised Finland doesn't have the Canadian style of birch trees so they can't make the large sheets.

If you are deleting the rolls of birch bark you might as well remove the canoe steps under transport.

The Canoe making is one I left in as Brygun_Add (my own) had it which I developed as a Canadian I wished to have it. It is still a time period correct option though not quite so geographically.

>>>>

Other items in messages to come.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:18:26 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #714 on: January 13, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »

Large clay amphora tub I also recommend removing. It's stupidly large, way too big for the player to actually make.

IIRC it is actually the one that is properly sized for real-world amphora.

It is huge for this game. It takes making the next-largest one to have enough water on hand to make it.

Brygun

« Reply #715 on: January 13, 2021, 06:24:00 AM »
Minor issue:

The yard created by .Spin Yarn. under the Weaving menu has "cord" as its base item, and thus under the new tying system has (15 ft) on the end of its name, and can be subdivided into sections.  As does .Unravel woollen cloth into yarn. under the Knitting menu.

The yard created by .Shred Linen for Yarn., under the Weaving menu, has "Hunting Horn" as its base item, and so does not count as cord for these purposes, and does not have the (15 ft) on its name.

Both work for creating clothing out of, but it's an inconsistency. If you want yarn to be usable as cord, then all three should both be based on cord. If not, then all three should be Hunting Horn.

Need to think on this.

The Wool and Yarn recipes predate the very existence of the length commands.

Agree it needs a correction. THe hunting horn one is simpler but it loses the ability to use a spool of yarn as light cordage.

Conversely the other way to fix that would change all the wool creation recipes to use X length of wool, which looses out on how wool garments only need partial dissassembly to make into other things.

Real life could side cut a sweater into a dress or even shorts with only a limited amount of knitting on the new seams. So you have a bulk of material and a cordage-like length.

rudy

« Reply #716 on: January 14, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
I made a mod for a quern-stone here:

https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6248.0

I think it would be a neat addition to BAC, but I'm fully content to leave that to your decision.

Felius

« Reply #717 on: January 17, 2021, 09:14:31 PM »
In something I'm not entirely sure if it's an overlook or a design choice, as of  the recipe to extract fibre from dried retted plants lack a [noquality] tag on the ingredient, which is produced with said tag.

That is, it's impossible to get better than average fibre from flax, hemp and nettle, preventing better than average cloth from being produced by the player.

In a semi-related sidenote, if you have a combined crafting area, spindles and distaffs keeps getting consumed by other recipes that require stakes or staffs.

Brygun

« Reply #718 on: January 18, 2021, 02:32:37 AM »
For next update

Earthernware

Clay fish price dropped as it does seem out of scope

Cave playset renamed to Clay playset. "Cave" came from the graphic I found to access. The idea of "clay" playset is more generic leaving more room for players to self-interpret.

Clay playset minor price adjust as it uses more material and has more weight then the clay fish.

Brygun

« Reply #719 on: January 18, 2021, 02:53:09 AM »
Update

Earthernware fixes above

>>>>

Quern stone added from rudy, includes a a new truetile graphic

I left out the Quern step for cutting a big stone off a boulder. the time to make each of the two pieces was raised from 6h to 8h as a slight compensation.

>>>

Integrating of the updated Bouddia with custom trees is still under debate. Real life projects are kicking up for me so Im not sure if I can throw into such a big change right now. It is on my hope-to-do list as Bouddia has long been an inspiration to myself and other modders.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:54:43 AM by Brygun »