Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336675 times)

vitokin

« Reply #585 on: October 11, 2020, 01:47:49 AM »
Just grabbed this mod it looks amazing i'm excited :)

Brygun

« Reply #586 on: October 11, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »
Just grabbed this mod it looks amazing i'm excited :)

Thanks!

There is a lot, and a lot of people to thank for their contributions in recipes or advise.

I still tip my hat to Rain, who wrote an iron working mod years ago that is one of the main chunks of my own BAC gameplay.

I do hope at times that ironworking would come into the vanilla came though there is the puzzle of why spend vanilla coding time on something mod(s) already do fairly well.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 14, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
What would be an appropriate amount to get each time, though? Remember, you need #5# to make the pitch glue. Would a tapping mechanism as an alternative but more complex method
—snip— selective quote

Tapping a pine wouldn’t work: The resin isn’t pine tree’s sap.
To increase pitch yield on a living pine, one needs to peel section of the bark off. Not a ring around the tree, but maybe 120 degree wide section on easily reachable area. And score multiple trees for more.

I’ve not researched when “tervahauta” (tar grave) were established as tar producing system, but it produces more than bleeding the trees. Of course, you’ll need to cut the trees into firewood’s with that method.

Tervahauta consists generally of a sizable earthen mound with a concave pit atop, with a drain in the middle, stacked with several cords of split pine firewood on the concave section. All but bottom foot (12” / 30cm) is covered with swamp peat/moss.
The exposed pine splits are lit up, all around the mound. Once they’re burning on their own, the bottom also gets covered with swamp peat/moss. Burning the tar out is not a quick job; decent tar grave takes 2-4days to “burn out”. And it needs to be monitored for any flare ups, and they need to be put out fast, or all remaining tar will burn up with the remaining wood.
For flare ups, plenty of wet peat is shoveled on it. Water from pails/buckets only screws up the tar extraction.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:43:05 AM by JP_Finn »

Paka

« Reply #588 on: October 15, 2020, 06:16:43 PM »
Update

Fixed old birch-bark lace issue for the two wood bow in the bowying DIY

Great thanks Brygun!

Adamsor

« Reply #589 on: October 26, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
Update

Started as going through to add the + item into the code where descriptions where given. While most were okay there were instances like those in posts above where people new might not know what base items are. So I added the + to all 'something' lines in the DIY

While doing so I also spotted some typo style mistakes including issues in the clinkered punt for the medieval drill having { } instead of ' '

A user above just asked about antler strips and it seems that is a call to a removed item so I have changed it to a general weight of antler bone.

MAC Users:
If you fixed your graphics be sure to keep the fixed graphics as these are still the original truetiles.

The request for fixed tiles for MAC to be posted is still present as I dont have a MAC to test them with myself.

caethan tip worked really well (ImageMagick installed via homebrew). Only thing worth noticing is that alpha layer should be changed only on BAC files excluding rest of the game files, otherwise snow appears to be green and there're possibly more side effects. I attach changed files as requested.

Brygun

« Reply #590 on: October 26, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
Update:

Truetile updates from Adamsor

Readme file name tweak to "Readme BAC for users" to better match "Readme BAC for modders"

Adamsor added to contributors for tile fixes

Adamsor

« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2020, 12:44:12 AM »
Thanks for adding me as contributor :) .

I just noticed strange thing. Staff-bow can be used as staff for purpose of crafting bone javelins. This is not the case with standard northern spear. Thus it's possible to make higher quality javelins at expense of time and resources. But more importantly it can lead to losing good item during crafting. My guess is that the name is the problem.

I have one more issue with digging clay from sea shore. Even when I'm in sea I cannot dig clay due to fact that tile I'm in is named "Sea" instead of "Water". Changing tile requirement in file fixes this issue. I'm just wondering that maybe on sea shore both tiles are possible? For purpose of photo I'm not standing in water as it's cold but it shows tile name.

Brygun

« Reply #592 on: October 28, 2020, 03:51:53 AM »
Recipes are indeed name driven though there are possible work arounds. Like a deliberate mis-spelling to Sttaff-bow (note the extra t)

Ill think about that one.

Looking at your tile comment now

Brygun

« Reply #593 on: October 28, 2020, 03:55:15 AM »
Query:

Clay is generally from river beds where the various grindings and organics(?) are at work to make clay.

Would a sea side have clay? I mean it could. It could also be rocky (which a river could to but would accumulate clay).

The Sea of Finland is fairly mild in terms of salt content. You can even drink it and not die like normal sea water.

Im favoring leaving the clay as water as we don't have an "OR" command in the recipe. If it really is critical someone could, as you have, poke into beginner modding and edit the one line a short time.

Brygun

« Reply #594 on: October 28, 2020, 04:00:22 AM »
Update

Minor

Name adjust on "Northern staff-bow" to no longer have rename "Staff-bow". I am hoping, not checked, that this will avoid the consumption of the item as a {Staff} in other recipes. Note the capital "S" vs small "s" which I hope will solve that issue.

BlankPaper

« Reply #595 on: October 30, 2020, 12:04:36 AM »
Would a sea side have clay? I mean it could. It could also be rocky (which a river could to but would accumulate clay).

Can't speak of all seasides, but I used to go digging for clay on the Atlantic beaches of western France as a kid, so it's definitely possible.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 30, 2020, 05:28:06 AM »
Clay is wet silt; decomposing bits of biological matter combined with very fine silica/sand.
So if your waterway has rivers contributing fine particles to the shoreline, yes; there’ll be clay.
(Ocean shores often have higher surf/whitewash/under tow/swell and tides that tend to wash the fine particles in to the water; kelp, sea grass, algae thanks! But bays, lagoons et cetera can have sizable deposits)

zwierzax

« Reply #597 on: October 31, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
Proper feedback doesn't benefit from vague humor. If you can mention specific recipes and it helps with menu (or DIY file) it will help fix things.

Sorry, I did not want to mock anyone or something - "for core wood" is in carpentry menu for making axe hafts - and recipe really asking for short quarter log from lumber menu.

I thought is long known bugs that author of mod should repair, and you Brygun just put everything together.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #598 on: November 01, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
Thanks for adding me as contributor :) .

I just noticed strange thing. Staff-bow can be used as staff for purpose of crafting bone javelins. This is not the case with standard northern spear. Thus it's possible to make higher quality javelins at expense of time and resources. But more importantly it can lead to losing good item during crafting. My guess is that the name is the problem.

I have one more issue with digging clay from sea shore. Even when I'm in sea I cannot dig clay due to fact that tile I'm in is named "Sea" instead of "Water". Changing tile requirement in file fixes this issue. I'm just wondering that maybe on sea shore both tiles are possible? For purpose of photo I'm not standing in water as it's cold but it shows tile name.
I believe the game simply scans strings of item names until it finds the first match, meaning it is scanning until it finds the "staff" in "staff-bow" and using it as staff.  Either that, or the game actually counts the staff-bow as a type of staff.  You can check this in the mod .txt files, in the recipe for staff-bow the first line will read something like .staff-bow. "staff" (meaning the name is staff-bow but the game counts it as staff). 

Brygun

« Reply #599 on: November 03, 2020, 04:37:03 AM »
I believe the game simply scans strings of item names until it finds the first match, meaning it is scanning until it finds the "staff" in "staff-bow" and using it as staff.  Either that, or the game actually counts the staff-bow as a type of staff.  You can check this in the mod .txt files, in the recipe for staff-bow the first line will read something like .staff-bow. "staff" (meaning the name is staff-bow but the game counts it as staff).

yep

That's why to have an even thinner type of tying material I had used "string" to have a separate word match from the vanilla game "cord" and "rope". However it still needs a base object so sometimes string can be a cord but a cord will never be a string.

And if you understand that you are an advanced level modder.

And then there is thread for weaving and making clothes.

Joy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 04:39:20 AM by Brygun »