Topic: Where the heck are the axes?  (Read 13969 times)

SpaghettiCat

« on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »
I started as the Owl-tribe and must have visited 12 villages all across the Owl region, went through every village building and talked with every adult to see if they have anything to trade, and found a grand total of 0 axes!

This means I cannot set up a permanent home and progress in my life.

I walked to the nearby Kiesse region in hopes that they might have an axe, but 4 villages later and still no axe.

If this is normal, and certain regions just don't have axes, it ruins selecting that culture as the starting tribe, because you end up having to migrate to another region anyway because you can't get out of the early game without an axe.

Where can I get an axe? Am I supposed to cross the map to the traders in Driik to get one?

tedomedo

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
I always delete character if he doesn't have an axe in the beginning.
You can cheat - read http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/Playing_With_UrW_Files#Zoom-_Files. Read other cheating pages on unrealworld.wikia.com
The best shops are in Driiki villages, start new character in Driiki region.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:52:51 PM by tedomedo »

SpaghettiCat

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »
I always delete character if he doesn't have an axe in the beginning.
You can cheat - read http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/Playing_With_UrW_Files#Zoom-_Files. Read other cheating pages on unrealworld.wikia.com
The best shops are in Driiki villages, start new character in Driiki region.

Thanks for the suggestion tedomedo, but I don't like cheating. It's against the spirit of the game.

Even if I start with an axe, I still need to get the other 3 types of axes... so I would still be forced to migrate to a better region before I can set up a permanent home and start the game.

tedomedo

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 07:21:21 PM »
I'd like to be able to ask craftman in a village to craft something i want. I would pay in advance and wait one week or more, depending on quality and what to craft.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:00:26 PM »
It sounds like you're very unlucky. As far as I know all cultures have all axes, but the Driik have more of just about everything, while the Northern tribes tend to be relatively poor.
Getting all axes typically requires some travel, and getting masterworks quality for all requires a fair bit (often a lot) of it. Note, however, that you only *need* one axe (that isn't a stone axe), but it takes a lot of time to use unsuitable tools, and the quality suffers as well (not that it matters initially, as starting characters typically suck at the corresponding skills). A hand axe and a woodsman's axe will cover the basics, though, and Njerpezit have been known to *donate* such tools. Apart from villages and donations, foreign traders can carry some tool axes, but you need the only currency they take for that to work out. Finally, you can sometimes trade for items villagers carry, although they usually aren't interested.

SpaghettiCat

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:05:31 AM »
Thanks for the insight PALU. I visited 4 more Kiesse (this is an Eastern culture, not North) villages since I last wrote and the mythical axe still eludes me. I also have talked with every adult villager in every village so far.

I don't think I can enter Njerpe yet because I'm still in the early game (all I've been doing is travelling in search of an axe and a bit of hunting/fishing to sustain myself).

Maybe I should use this or this mod, that allows one to create these essential items instead of having to travel around the whole world in 80 days just to get the basics, which I think is unrealistic and annoying.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:21:08 AM by SpaghettiCat »

PALU

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
You don't get Njerps to "donate" things by entering Njerpezit territory, but rather by engaging the lone Njerp raiders out in you part of the world. Actual warfare against the Njerps is an outlier in the game and not something you're expected to do (I've tried it once, and my character eventually died, as expected).

There are essentially two ways to engage Njerp raiders: See them on the overland map and seek them out to engage them, and stumble into them and get drawn down to the zoomed-in map. In the latter case you can sometimes withdraw, and sometimes you're forced to fight. You can, of course, chose to attack a Njerp rather than withdraw if you have that option. Combat is dangerous, though. Regardless, I'd rather engage a Njerp than a bear (I basically never engage bears if I can avoid it).

Ara D.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
It might go against the spirit of your game but the basic tutourial living in the wild will gift you an axe at the watercourse task

Tom H

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
It might depend upon whom you are asking. Look for the woodsmen in the villages, eh? Based solely upon my limited experience, hunters and woodsmen carry the tools of their trade, though I have not seen them with anything better than Fine equipment. The Driik villages have the nice stuff, usually laying around in their shops. I even saw a 'Beautiful Pot' today...heh.

I agree that the Njerks are good donors. However, though I've beaten a lot of them, just 1v1, I've lost some really promising characters that way. But, if you win a few fights, you'll have  a lot of trade goods!

SpaghettiCat

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
It might depend upon whom you are asking. Look for the woodsmen in the villages, eh?

I have been asking every adult I found in the village. Don't remember seeing a woodsmen though, lots of sages, old men, etc.

tedomedo

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »
Check inventory of every villager. If you see that someone have many weapons and tools including an axe, you have good chances that we will want to go hunting with you.  You have to give him food for 2 days. When he becomes your companion, go out of village, go to another local world and kill him and pick his things.

PALU

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »
Check inventory of every villager. If you see that someone have many weapons and tools including an axe, you have good chances that we will want to go hunting with you.  You have to give him food for 2 days. When he becomes your companion, go out of village, go to another local world and kill him and pick his things.
If you're going the murderer route, be aware that villagers don't like to see others leave with you and never return. You'll never be able to hire anyone from that village again (I haven't murdered, but I've lost posse members when doing robber quests, and in addition to that I've had dismissed, perfectly healthy, posse members just never return home).

werepacman

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »
I think it is completely normal. Game is random. If you want to have an axe start as lonely settler.

In your case you have another quest to do. Move to other land to find a axe.

tedomedo

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »
PALU, it's enough to delete NAME.VIL file in save folder and you can get someone from that village again.

Privateer

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:07 PM »
Code: [Select]
.Handaxe.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

anything