Topic: Modding Tutorial and Help  (Read 53106 times)

Nimbie

« on: June 18, 2017, 05:47:04 AM »
this is a compilation I created of the games mod tutorial, others modding help, and my own edits. this is how I learned how to mod unreal world and make some custom content and hope it can help someone else. figured I should post it and also set up a section in the new forums for modding help and discussion, I wont be giving help (because I am less experienced than most) but I can try, and I'm sure many others will help if you post your wip mods or problems you run into.

Nimbie

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »
the files are as follows

Tags tutorial - the complete overview of items and list of tags with all the various tidbits of information. straight from the game

Tutorial - my condensed version of the Tags tutorial (still read it though). this will help you understand how it all works together
                   after looking at the tags tutorial

Item Tags - this is a list I composed that quickly shows every tag used in an item at the moment 6-17-2017. with a brief
                      description of each to help you out

aNNiPAk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »
the files are as follows

Tags tutorial - the complete overview of items and list of tags with all the various tidbits of information. straight from the game

Tutorial - my condensed version of the Tags tutorial (still read it though). this will help you understand how it all works together
                   after looking at the tags tutorial

Item Tags - this is a list I composed that quickly shows every tag used in an item at the moment 6-17-2017. with a brief
                      description of each to help you out

Many thanks for this collection! This is what I have been looking for for a long time and who should help me understand how to correctly translate text from the game into Russian language.

By the way, if you need all the text from the game (exe file), you can download it from here (I hope that I do not violate the creator's rights to the creator of the game, if I violate, then I must be notified, after which I will delete this file): https://yadi.sk/i/wM7j5xUD3KEVhG

Tarwathiel

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 03:54:58 AM »
I don't understand the tutorial at all....is there a simpler one laying around?

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:32:34 AM »
I don't understand the tutorial at all....is there a simpler one laying around?

@Tarwathiel
Here's my very simple tutorial to understand crafting (it's old but still applies)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/urwforum/urw-crafting-demystified-t6256.html
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Vitowns

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
Hello i made items like weapons etc easily but for some reason this anvil i'm trying to add to the BUILDING menu doesn't show up at all, I even made an anvil graphic for it, here is my code thingy from the build readme txt:

.Anvil. "Bench" -Z- [effort:4] *BUILDING*  [phys:arms,stance,one-armed]   [GFX_X:10] [GFX_Y:2]    /90/         %50%         
{Log} (1) [remove] [ground]
{Raw Ore} (4) [remove] [ground]
{Stone-Hammer}
[TILEGFX:mod-anvil]

Edit: Ilu Privateer you rock i took your bird coop and studied it closely + your tutorial, I finally managed to make an anvil cheers!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:13:56 PM by Vitowns »

Privateer

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »
  Technically the build menu / items are hardcoded and aside from some swapping of tiles and some glitch usage, modification on the build is not yet supported. You can only "change" graphic(s) by actually replacing the original sprite(s).

Sorry probably not the answer you wanted ~_~

Thanks anything to help
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Vitowns

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »
  Technically the build menu / items are hardcoded and aside from some swapping of tiles and some glitch usage, modification on the build is not yet supported. You can only "change" graphic(s) by actually replacing the original sprite(s).

Sorry probably not the answer you wanted ~_~

Thanks anything to help

No worries and that's fine hehe

BlackSwan

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 12:16:46 AM »
Hello!

I've been trying to do the same thing as Vitowns above, except with a well instead of an anvil. I realized it doesn't work as a building, so I tried to make it an object like the chicken coop. I'm trying to make it a container with a huge capacity that you can fill up and then drag closer to your house. But I can't make it work. I think there's something wrong with the graphic, because I tried a bunch of different combinations of the code, and I can craft it, but if I drop it, the graphic doesn't show up. I've done the same thing before by creating a pickaxe and the graphic for it does show up. I've tried to use that same template for the well too, but for some reason the well graphic doesn't show up (it doesn't show anything if I drop it on the ground, empty or full).

This is the code, just in case there's something wrong with it (I've also tried other random things instead of the shovel, like the pot, wooden bowl, wooden cup,... the times and resources are simplified because I keep remaking it to see if it works):
Code: [Select]
.Well. "Shovel" [effort:2] [phys:arms,stance] *COMMON* /0.5h/
{Pickaxe}
[TILEGFX:it-well]
[NAME:Well]
[WEIGHT:100]
[TYPE:container]
[CONT_CAPACITY:10000]

And attached are pictures of the graphics I tried. I tried the TILEGFX:it-pickaxe (that I've created before) and it works, but it doesn't work with the well graphics. I've tried all three, renamed them to different things, recolored the background (and the top left pixel) a bunch of times, resized the well a bit (so it's roughly the same size as the pickaxe), but can't make it work at all. I've also read the text file in the truetile folder and I feel like I followed it to the letter. I'm new at modding this game so there is probably something obvious I'm missing, but any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:55:24 AM by BlackSwan »

Privateer

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 12:50:41 AM »
used
.Well. "Shovel" [effort:2] [phys:arms,stance] *COMMON* /0.5h/
//{Pickaxe}
[TILEGFX:it-well]
[NAME:Well]
[WEIGHT:100]
[TYPE:container]
[CONT_CAPACITY:100]

Got well, dropped it from inventory (containers)

Mods:

BlackSwan

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 01:06:29 AM »
What the... I just tried it again (replaced pickaxe for a branch and lowered the capacity) and yep, it worked. I then changed the code back, and it still worked. I've been trying for hours to make it work before. I think this game enjoys messing with me. Thank you very much for trying it out and letting me know the result!

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »
Hey guys,
As i understood, this sticky thread was made for smaller questions and problems, so i wont open a new one.

Would be great if someone can help me out.

My Issue:
I lazily and shamelessly used brygun's earthenware mod as a blueprint.
As i am currently trying to make an all embracing mod, i wanted to make the pottery a little less complex, so i started to mess with it.
I ended up with quite satisfying results, just having clay lumps(which you need a shovel and a pit near the water for), a clay pot and and a bowl in the earthenware menu. I wanted it just to be functional and twerk it before adding more pottery recipes.

Then i decided that i want to have more influence on the outcome by adding "fine clay" so aquiring clay looks like that:
(the idea is, you can use both for your pottery, but fine clay would produce better quality. Realism is somehow added through being near a fire resembling ash.)

Spoiler: show
.Dig clay. "Hunting Horn" [effort:3] [phys:arms,hands,stance]    *WEATHERLORE*   /5/  [patch]
{[TERRAIN:sea lake river ford rapids]}           
{[TILE:Pit]}         'Pit for digging clay'       
{Shovel}
[NAME:clay lump]
[MATERIAL:stone]
[WEIGHT:2]
[PRICE:0]
[TILEGFX:it-bread]

.Fine clay lump. "Hunting Horn"   [effort:2] [phys:hands,one-armed]    *WEATHERLORE*   %-5%  /5/   [patch] [noquality]
{Clay lump}     [remove]  [patchwise] [noquality]
{Water} #0.5# [remove] [patchwise]
{Fire}   'get some ash' 
{Stone}
[PRICE:1]
[TILEGFX:it-bread]
[NAME:Fine clay lump]

The pottery recipes look like that:

.Clay bowl. "Wooden bowl"   [effort:0] [phys:hands,one-armed]    *WEATHERLORE*   %-5%  /15/ \3h\
{Clay lump} <Fine clay lump>  (3)   [remove]
{Water} #1.5# [remove] '+soften clay during shaping'
{Fire}
{Branch} (6) [remove] '+fuel to dry clay'
[PRICE:3]
[WEIGHT:3]
[CONT_CAPACITY:5]
[TILEGFX:it-wdbowl]

.small Clay pot. "Pot"   [effort:0] [phys:hands,one-armed]    *WEATHERLORE*   %-5%  /20/ \3h\
{Clay lump}  <Fine clay lump> (2)   [remove]
{Water} #1# [remove] '+soften clay during shaping'
{Fire}
{Branch} (4) [remove] '+fuel to dry clay'
[PRICE:2]
[CONT_CAPACITY:2]
[TILEGFX:it-wdcup]

But somehow the game only accepts the normal clay lump. I simply cannot see where the problem is, why it wouldnt let me use the fine clay.

I have the same problem with my selfmade fishing rod. the game wouldnt let me use Feathers for the swimmer:
{Branch} <Feather>   [remove] '+for the swimmer' 
(complete rod recipe here:)
//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.primitive fishing rod. "Fishing rod" [effort:2] [phys:arms,one-armed] *CARPENTRY*      /90/  %-70%     |-1|   
{Wooden stake} (2) [remove]
{Cord} =15= [remove]
{Rock}  (1) [remove] '+as a weight'
{Feather}   [remove] '+for the swimmer'
{Branch} <Bone>  #0.1# [remove] '+for the fishing hook'
{Axe} <Carving axe>      
{Knife} <Small knife>

again, the idea is to make it possible to craft the rod without having a feather, using a simple stick for the swimmer, but with an inferior result
Game only accepts branches for the recipe. i also tried <* Feather>(as i actually had capercallie Feathers to test), but still didnt work

what is wrong?? am i missing something obvious?...
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:43:06 PM by Dr.Hossa »

Buoidda

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
The thing in the <> -brackets needs to fulfill the first one too on that row, like {knife}<small knife>

Try:
{*clay lump} <Fine clay lump>

Try  [optional] for a {Feather} on a separate row.
{Feather}   [optional]

I have still to figure out myself how these optional items help, though. Comb seems to make my twisted cords only slower to make.  :o

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
ok now works, but it doesnt: it is the other way around, game doesnt allow the normal clay lumps...

And with the rod, i forgot it to report that it worked yesterday "You need branch - preferably a feather"
now it randomly stopped working... didnt change a thing in that code since yesterday

The thing in the <> -brackets needs to fulfill the first one too on that row, like {knife}<small knife>
so, you sure about that?...
Because at this position, the code works well:
{Branch} <Bone>  #0.1# [remove] '+for the fishing hook'
i can use bone or branch

what a mystery...
i think i will try out renaming that "fine clay lump" to "better clay lump", since the word "fine" perhaps is messing with the game's quality system.

Buoidda

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »
Pretty sure yeah. Are you using a vanilla bone or a modded one?

...what a mystery...
i think i will try out renaming that "fine clay lump" to "better clay lump", since the word "fine" perhaps is messing with the game's quality system.
I doubt it is the cause. My test results:

.test item. "branch" /1/
{*clay lump} <Fine clay lump>   //works with either recipe below
{Branch} <Bone>  #0.1# [remove]   // will not accept forest reindeer bone

.Clay lump. "branch" /1/

.Fine clay lump. "branch" /1/
{Bone} #0.1# [remove] // will  accept forest reindeer bone

Only way I see  {Branch} <Bone> working is that you have a test item .Bone. inherited from a "Branch". EDIT: But even that didn't work.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:31:22 PM by Buoidda »

anything