Topic: More kinds of structures  (Read 10273 times)

redfish

« on: September 27, 2017, 04:22:49 AM »
I was reading the thread about bridge-building, and it brought to bear for me the fact that the world of the game would be a lot more interesting if there were kinds of structures other than just villages.

For example,
- Primitive bridges
- Hill forts
- Burial grounds
- Giant's churches
- Various forms of cairns
- Ceremonial/sacrificial sites
- Quarries, iron foundries

As far as hill forts go, I was also reading about the Old Castle at Lieto, and about how there would have been a watchtower, and it also made me think back to the issue of multi-story buildings.

Something that's currently not listed on the long term development plans, but I would certainly like to see as a player, is a revamp of the game system for creating interior spaces. So for example, on houses, this would mean that when you see a house from the outside, you see the building height, the roof on top and smoke from the chimney. You go inside, and you see the floor you go in on, and then can go up and down floors if its multi-story. You could even go down into cellar basements. Sort of how old isometric games like Ultima VII handled it. This would also lead to a better game system for caves, because they could actually be inside mountains and hills rather than inside a group of stones.

While I'm guessing this is definitely require major work compared to other game features, I think it would be something worth seeing.

Also, I don't know if any evidence of this exists for Iron Age Finland, but I know that in other areas, there were stone buildings in forts.

In general, I think the more that there's variety in structures, the more there will be a feeling that you're in a world with a history, and that would also tie into quests and things like that.

caius

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
I like these ideas and agree this would likely be challenging. 

...This would also lead to a better game system for caves, because they could actually be inside mountains and hills rather than inside a group of stones.

I love this idea.  Anything to make caves more interesting would be great.

Lopo772

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
Seconding everything said as great ideas.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
Cavern systems is an interesting idea.  Hill forts already exist in the game, in the form of walled Driik settlements.  I think quarries and iron foundries are beyond the capabilities of all the cultures except perhaps the Driik.  I would imagine most blacksmiths in URW are individualistic shaman-types, and probably gather their iron from bogs or lakes.  Otherwise though, I like the sounds of all of those!

redfish

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 06:22:40 AM »
I was thinking that another extension of developing a system for "interior spaces" that would be used for inside buildings and in caverns would be letting players dive into water, where the inside of the water would be treated as an "interior space."

So, imagine diving into a pond,

shorun

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »

- Primitive bridges   ->  yes please, a MUST. it's not that far fetched to use ropes/cords and boards to make a bridge. this would be AWESOME and realistic.
- Hill forts                -> i was thinking a "pallisade", walls do this but they look off.
- Burial grounds      -> being a bit creative allows you do already do this. still i like it.
- Giant's churches   -> churches? giant's? this one i dislike. we've got shamans and seers.
- Various forms of cairns   ->  oh yeah, that would be awesome to find.
- Ceremonial/sacrificial sites   -> same as above.
- Quarries, iron foundries       -> this might be overkill. perhaps one settlement with a new culture (the foreign traders outpost) could have a small blacksmith without being to unrealistic.

i like most ideas here, especially the bridge.

Silenia

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »

- Primitive bridges   ->  yes please, a MUST. it's not that far fetched to use ropes/cords and boards to make a bridge. this would be AWESOME and realistic.
- Hill forts                -> i was thinking a "pallisade", walls do this but they look off.
- Burial grounds      -> being a bit creative allows you do already do this. still i like it.
- Giant's churches   -> churches? giant's? this one i dislike. we've got shamans and seers.
- Various forms of cairns   ->  oh yeah, that would be awesome to find.
- Ceremonial/sacrificial sites   -> same as above.
- Quarries, iron foundries       -> this might be overkill. perhaps one settlement with a new culture (the foreign traders outpost) could have a small blacksmith without being to unrealistic.

i like most ideas here, especially the bridge.
"Giant's Church" is the name of prehistoric stone enclosures found in the Northwestern coastal area of Finland. It doesn't actually have a thing to do with Christianity, nor were they--as far as anyone can tell--built by genuine giants.

anything