Topic: Reinstate leather cord for arrow-making (3.70 beta 3)  (Read 4390 times)

« on: August 07, 2021, 04:27:34 PM »
With the introduction of yarn, only "yarn" is suitable material for making arrows. At least from what I can find quickly, it seems like animal sinew was most frequently used, at least by American Indians. Here's the state archaeologist of Iowa: "Points were attached to the arrow shaft with a variety of methods. Most frequently, the arrow shaft would have a slit cut into the end to accept the point. Sinew would then be wrapped around the shaft to pinch the slit closed".[1] Not that yarn is wrong -- other parts of that Iowa page make clear that plants were sometimes used for bowstrings, and so why not arrows as well -- but rather that it should be possible to make an all-animal-product arrow.

This is relevant for gameplay since I'm doing "The Challenge", and so in that scenario starting in winter with no access to villages there's just no way to make an arrow anymore (wild nettle is all wilted).

[2] https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=901.0

[1] https://archaeology.uiowa.edu/american-indian-archery-technology-0

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 04:37:26 PM »
Also a suggestion for this forum would be to increase the posting limit just a little bit. I have another suggestion but can't post it as a new topic because I've "reached my posting limit" with this one post here today; the message does not say when I would be able to post again.  I will give it here as a reply just in case I forget to come back.

Topic: Heather as tanning material

According to Wikipedia's page on heather,[1] "Formerly heather was used to . . . tan leather". So, how about adding it to "tanning material" along with animal fat and birch bark? For characters that are just starting out or scraping by or doing The Challenge, this would allow them to use heather for tanning and roast/eat the animal fat.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calluna#Uses

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 07:26:50 PM »
Also a suggestion for this forum would be to increase the posting limit just a little bit. I have another suggestion but can't post it as a new topic because I've "reached my posting limit" with this one post here today; the message does not say when I would be able to post again.  I will give it here as a reply just in case I forget to come back.

A**hole spam bots used to haunt the place. The timer is stop them.

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 07:35:14 PM »
With the introduction of yarn, only "yarn" is suitable material for making arrows.

It would take literally 30 seconds to make this change to suit your game play.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 10:05:12 PM »
Aye, four of my five characters are presently unable to craft anything requiring textiles. They are all in or near the winter season and didn't have any textile-type materials in store. Otoh, I have LOTS of leather and cloth cords, which are now useless for making arrows, etc. Also, I'm perplexed that villagers don't have any yarn for trading.

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 08:38:27 AM »
I've seen yarn in quite a few villages now, but maybe not all cultures have it. If it's a migrated character, you might have to go to a village that you haven't visited yet.

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
I've seen yarn in quite a few villages now, but maybe not all cultures have it. If it's a migrated character, you might have to go to a village that you haven't visited yet.

Ahh... All mine are migrated (if that means created before the major update?) so I guess I'll have to travel again when the ice is solid. Thanx for that info.

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 07:30:40 AM »
Yeah, created before the major update. Village inventories get updated about once a week but these are usually pretty small changes, so the villages you've been to, their inventories will be more or less what it was in 3.63. They'll start getting yarn too, eventually, just probably not as quickly as you want.

A village you haven't seen before will have its inventory created when you first visit, so it'll have 3.70 items

Shadowdweller

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
Just wanted to chime in agreement with the OP.  While I'm not an historian, from what I've read sinew seems to have been a more common and widespread material for making arrows.  I realize the textilecraft system is new, but from a gameplay perspective, I find it pretty inconvenient (particularly if starting in the wrong time of year and/or away from villages) to make yarn for arrows; would be nice if sinew was available for use in arrowmaking.  Or perhaps allow a meat cut (or part thereof) as a yarn alternative, to represent sinew harvesting.

anything