Topic: Angry Water Spirits  (Read 6309 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:11 AM »
I recently got the ritual for water spirits, and when I met one it was angry. So I've started making sacrifices while in the water on my raft. However, it seems that this doesn't make the water spirits happy? Instead I still get Unity messages from the forest while on land. Does general sacrifice not work for water spirits? Do I have to wait until spring to do the thing that can only be done at the start of spring? Worried I'll miss the window of time for it!

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
It ought to be that fish sacrifices to to the water spirits and other sacrifices goes to the forest ones, but the results seem rather random.

The spirits will calm down over time if you don't do anything that aggravates them (such as fishing). I try to sacrifice fish when I can (which is tricky, as fish don't come in cuts, and sacrificial of a whole salmon is rather silly when that's the only thing you've caught over 3 full days of fishing). However, I try to time fish sacrifices such that I sacrifice the last piece of roasted fish rather than eating it (including saving the last bit for the next sacrifice and instead start to eat the next fish. or even go hungry).
My routine includes a daily sacrifice regardless of whether anything warranting a sacrifice has happened or not, and I try to do that in late morning so I don't forget.

The rituals that can only be done at particular times can only be performed at those times, although the fishing related ones refer to the first time after the event, which, in my interpretation at least, means it can well be in summer if you haven't caught anything in between (because you haven't lived off of fishing).

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:33:32 PM »
It ought to be that fish sacrifices to to the water spirits and other sacrifices goes to the forest ones, but the results seem rather random.

The spirits will calm down over time if you don't do anything that aggravates them (such as fishing). I try to sacrifice fish when I can (which is tricky, as fish don't come in cuts, and sacrificial of a whole salmon is rather silly when that's the only thing you've caught over 3 full days of fishing). However, I try to time fish sacrifices such that I sacrifice the last piece of roasted fish rather than eating it (including saving the last bit for the next sacrifice and instead start to eat the next fish. or even go hungry).
My routine includes a daily sacrifice regardless of whether anything warranting a sacrifice has happened or not, and I try to do that in late morning so I don't forget.

The rituals that can only be done at particular times can only be performed at those times, although the fishing related ones refer to the first time after the event, which, in my interpretation at least, means it can well be in summer if you haven't caught anything in between (because you haven't lived off of fishing).

So you're saying despite it saying "comfortable", my sacrificing of meat cuts or eggs is actually pissing the water spirits off? Or that regardless of my location, it is being counted as a Forest sacrifice?

It also seems I can only do one sacrifice per day, not one for the Forest and one for the Waters, which is problematic!

PALU

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:58:57 PM »
You can only perform one general sacrifice per day, yes, and the recipient of the sacrifice seems to be the one fitting the sacrifice. This means that sacrifices of meat and eggs go to the forest spirit and has no effect (either good or bad) on the water one. As far as I can tell your position doesn't matter.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 01:00:12 AM »
You can only perform one general sacrifice per day, yes, and the recipient of the sacrifice seems to be the one fitting the sacrifice. This means that sacrifices of meat and eggs go to the forest spirit and has no effect (either good or bad) on the water one. As far as I can tell your position doesn't matter.

I've been sacrificing fish the past few weeks, but not seeing an improvement yet. Still have unity with the forest though. What other than fish counts for the water spirit I wonder?

PALU

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »
Nothing, is my assumption. However, the reports do not seem to have any correlation to changes of relations or what you sacrifice: I've had months of just sacrificing meat (and no fishing at all) and all spirit relation reports being unity with the water. As far as I understand, the only way to find out the standing with the spirit that isn't reported on is to summon that spirit and check the signs directly.

Matti-patti

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
I always sacrifice fish right after I have picked up my catches and still on the raft. Seems to work every time and keeps the waterfolk happy. I think cooked fish might always go to forest spirits instead.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 02:26:47 PM »
I believe cooked fish does work, although it's vague enough that you can't really tell with certainty. It can also be noted that one of the rituals involves fish soup (although general sacrifice of fish soup would probably either not work or cost you the bowl it's in as well, and so would be rather expensive).

GrimmSpector

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 05:40:19 AM »
So what I've noticed is, things that I know are definitely associated with the Forest say "You feel comfortable", where when I do just raw fish when I catch, it says "You feel at ease". I suspect that shows which spirit accepts the sacrifice.

JP_Finn

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 08:21:04 AM »
So what I've noticed is, things that I know are definitely associated with the Forest say "You feel comfortable", where when I do just raw fish when I catch, it says "You feel at ease". I suspect that shows which spirit accepts the sacrifice.

“Comfortable” message is displayed when the sacrifice has great effect on the standing with the spirits.
“At ease” message is displayed when the receiving spirits appreciate it, but the effect is massive.
For example; sacrificing elk cut of freshly harvested animal should give “comfortable” message.
Maybe for several days. But after several days, few weeks, sacrificing those cuts will become “at ease” messages.
The sacrifice has greater effect if the status with spirits isn’t already “maxed out”

Well. That’s how I *think* it’s set.
Spirits are mysterious, and well, I for one, prefer it to stay that way.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 03:49:52 PM »

“Comfortable” message is displayed when the sacrifice has great effect on the standing with the spirits.
“At ease” message is displayed when the receiving spirits appreciate it, but the effect is massive.
For example; sacrificing elk cut of freshly harvested animal should give “comfortable” message.
Maybe for several days. But after several days, few weeks, sacrificing those cuts will become “at ease” messages.
The sacrifice has greater effect if the status with spirits isn’t already “maxed out”

Well. That’s how I *think* it’s set.
Spirits are mysterious, and well, I for one, prefer it to stay that way.

Perhaps the effect is larger because my reputation with the water spirits had been so neglected unintentionally?

Plotinus

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »
cooked fish works for the forest spirit, raw fish for the water spirit. I reported this as a bug once and Sami said it was intentional

JP_Finn

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 06:05:57 AM »
cooked fish works for the forest spirit, raw fish for the water spirit. I reported this as a bug once and Sami said it was intentional

Do you recall if it is fish cooked any which way, or roasted only? What about smoked/salted/dried?
At least one spell calls for fish soup OR boiled fish. I’d be somewhat surprised, disappointed to extent, if they count towards forest spirits... same for the cured fishes really.

Plotinus

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
What I observed was that you can sacrifice a meat cut and a raw fish in the same day without getting the "uneasy" message (which means you have already done the maximum sacrifices to this spirit today; it's a bit misleading because it doesn't make the spirits upset to sacrifice more than once in a day, it just does nothing), but you can't sacrifice a meat cut and a roasted fish. I don't remember about the other kinds of fish but it's easy to test: sacrifice one meat cut, then sacrifice a salted fish and see what happens.

When I fish with a fishing rod, I sacrifice the smallest fish I catch before cooking any of them and that's enough to keep the water spirits happy with me.

Plotinus

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
I misremembered, it was dried fish that I tested with. Here's the bugreport and Sami's reply http://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4635.msg10063#msg10063