Topic: Best music to listen while playing UrW  (Read 8727 times)

paulkorotoon

« on: February 10, 2021, 02:26:03 AM »
The other day I came across the latest Burzum album Thulêan Mysteries. Not only is it a staggering mix of ambient, pagan folk and post-black (not sure though, I'm not quite good at identifying genres), but also it fits playing, and intensifies immersion, and makes UrW feel a little differently. Solemner, more frightening, more enigmatic.

What music do you listen to while wandering the unreal land? And does it change the usual feeling of the game?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:57:40 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:03:02 AM »
I have anything from Tom Petty, Steely Dan, Billy Elliot, Elton John, Queen, to Children of Bodom, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzie, Rev Horton Heat, ZZ Top, Anthrax, Queens of the Stone Age, Beastie Boys, Dire Straits, Cyprus Hill, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Slayer, 2Pac, Panthera, Stray Cats, Metallica (first 5 albums only), Megadeth.. and on and on. Some days I just want to chill and listen to Chopin and Tchaikovsky. 

Rock, metal, punk, non mumble rap, psycho-billy/rockabilly. Most goes. Not mumble or ‘yo-bitch-gangsta rap’. Some EDM, elevator/lift music annoys the living daylights out of me.

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 07:07:11 AM »
Ah, I should’ve simply suggested for everyone to listen to Korpiklaani (Mireclan... if they’d translate their performances, hehe)

trowftd

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
I really like listening to drone metal, stuff like Sunn O))), Boris, Earth are really cool but it is not for everyone I guess.

Burzum makes really good ambient music as well, if you liked the newer albums I can definitely suggest Alcest,it is not really a pagan-folk group, but it is a popular group you might have heard of it. Amesoeurs makes a little softer music but I think they are great as well.Les Discrets are similar to Amesoeurs as well. That was a lot of French bands for someone who is not from France. ;D

Woods of Ypres really has some bangers as well "I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery" and "Traveling Alone" are my favourites.

One Finnish group that I'm listening is called Tenhi, I don't really understand the lyrics but they are really nice songs slow, soft. My favourite is "Pojan Kiiski" I think the song is about a boy and his fish but I dunno, it is cool though.

Not every song in my playlist is my favourite best amazing song of all time ofc, my playlist mostly consists of ambient, blackgaze, ds black metal. Other than that I really like John Frusciante's solo work, like all of them. With his other group Ataxia, alternative rock, really cool songs there.

In order for me to listen any music, it needs a distorted or overdriven guitar and that's pretty much all it needs. :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:51:49 AM by trowftd »

paulkorotoon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
Burzum makes really good ambient music as well, if you liked the newer albums I can definitely suggest Alcest,it is not really a pagan-folk group, but it is a popular group you might have heard of it. Amesoeurs makes a little softer music but I think they are great as well.Les Discrets are similar to Amesoeurs as well. That was a lot of French bands for someone who is not from France. ;D

Got the first two in my record library. Gonna check out Les Discrets, never heard of them, thanks. I also like Gris, they're French too. I do enjoy French black metal bands generally, they've got pretty unique sounding.

Woods of Ypres really has some bangers as well "I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery" and "Traveling Alone" are my favourites.
Another entry goes into my list of music to listen!

One Finnish group that I'm listening is called Tenhi, I don't really understand the lyrics but they are really nice songs slow, soft. My favourite is "Pojan Kiiski" I think the song is about a boy and his fish but I dunno, it is cool though.
Whoaa, Tenhi. Absolutely love their first album Kauan! Also, there's Russian band named Kauan after this very album. Their music's pretty close to Tenhi's, yet not too similar.

In order for me to listen any music, it needs a distorted or overdriven guitar and that's pretty much all it needs. :P
Literally me, hehe.

By the way, I've got a Telegram channel where I write about black metal and stuff. If you want, I can PM you a link. It's in Russian, but in order to listen to music you'll only need to click links :D .
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:59:16 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

paulkorotoon

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »
Just remembered of a Poland band Stworz. Guys play atmospheric/pagan black metal, mixed with neofolk. Albums Na trzy strony Słońca and Słońcakres, as opposed to Thulêan Mysteries, makes me perceive the game's world as a significally lighter and fairier place.

It feels the best when your character is busy with any peaceful activity like building, fishing, agriculture, etc. A good way to pass an hour, being completely calm and easy.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Karmatose

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 06:48:55 PM »
This is a tad old but I just wanted to say that I've made a Spotify playlist with a few suggestions from here, figured someone else might find it useful!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6oB4by9CmRsOZ1UeC13F6R?si=TdB4NfbvRz2SKAwHMO1T0Q

trilobiitti

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
Usually I listen to podcasts while playing, but when I leave on the warpath to assault and oppress a Njerpez camp, it's time put on some appropriate music.

Moonsorrow - Ihmisen Aika (Kumarrus Pimeyteen)
Roki Vulovic - Kozarska Brigada
Forteresse - Par La Bouche De Mes Canons
Reverend Bizarre - Doom Over The World
Cult Of Fire - Khanda Manda Yoga

Once all the carnage is over and my character reflects the now-silent battlefield:
Triptykon - Aurorae
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:11:39 PM by trilobiitti »

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »
Just saw this topic.  I must agree with trowftd, that I enjoy listening to drone whilst playing this wonderful game.  However, my favorite is neofolk and dungeon synth.

Here are some of my favorite albums.  Please give a listen to these... I feel they are very much in the spirit of UnReal World. If you like the music, please consider checking out more of the artist's work and support them by buying the album.

October Falls - Sarastus (neofolk from Finland)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOIhVvG_M8&ab_channel=EternalWoods

Vali - Forlatt (neofolk/neoclassical from Finland)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD9JnFXEYN8&ab_channel=FolkmetalUpdates

Erang - Tome III (dungeon synth from France)
https://erang.bandcamp.com/album/tome-iii
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:28:39 AM by Dungeon Smash »

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 01:27:05 AM »

i really like these bands as well, in addition to Sunn 0))) and Burzum.  was lucky enough to see Sunn live a few years ago.

JP_Finn

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 06:52:32 AM »

“Pojan kiiski” literally translates to “boy’s roach”... not really an eating fish, but ok as a bait  ;)

JP_Finn

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
Slayer, Liege Lord, Children of Bodom, Impaled Nazarene, et cetera work nicely when fighting Njerpez settlements.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 04:14:58 AM »
Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but just curious what people might be listening to these days?  Personally, I've been quite  enjoying this album:

Trolldom, by Lord Lovidicus.  Classic 90's Dungeon Synth.  Carries a menacing but mystical mood.
https://youtu.be/xnc0R5ZWsvE?list=PLB44CAFEC9A623597

Bert Preast

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 03:40:28 AM »
My iron-age Finn likes a bit of techno.  Nosebleed techno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bUq72f-7kk