Topic: Player Questing by privateer v2.4  (Read 17596 times)

Privateer

« on: December 28, 2020, 02:27:05 AM »
 The Player Questing mod Ver. 2.4 (For URW v3.6)

Spoiler: show

This Mod utilizes the F1 key
 These quests utilize a 'token' system and the use of optional items to select 'which' quest
you want to do.

It's best to only apply one 'token' per selection else only the last selected will be given.
 Once you select a quest, go to inventory, valuables, the task item will be there.
Hit F1 on the item for quest details.

Completing the beginner quest(s) (free token) will grant items needed to produce the quest token.
Each beginner quest 'payment' is different and you need them all to get a quest token 'questing token'

What's in this mod:
Bird coops
Signs and Markers
Arrow quiver
Bees, honey and mead brewing
Brewing barrels and wooden mugs
Butter making
Questing for skill and profit

Here's a shot of the menus I'm working on right now.
also a brief explanation of the method I'm following.
Spoiler: show

I've clipped a new short video that shows gameplay with this mod.. And of course my dog barking in the background >_<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQR5Z3BRSjc

//v 1.6 fixed missing menu file
//v 1.7 Switch to ownership of talisman to get quests
//v 1.8 Set initial rewards, with quest selection/item consumption resolved
//      Change beginner quests to simple gather jobs 2 at each location
//      Set original beg. quests to regular, set rewards for tasks
//v 1.9 Fixed missing removal of a beginners quest dialog 'item' on completion
//v 2.0 fixed Honey combs not being seen
//    fixed a name errors on beginners turn ins
//v 2.1 fixed egg and mushroom turn in reward naming
//v 2.2 Modified/confirmed (1) Adv. quest turn in,  quantity to assure proper completion.
//v 2.3 Fixed Sauna location typo(s), set proper 'Energy drink' turn in, Fixed skill misspelling
//v 2.4 Addition of roasting root vegetables in 2 lb. or less volumes.
//        Addition of carrot root vegetable to be implementation via quest reward.
//        Reset/verified the completion item and quest text for 'Energy drink' quest.

*Feedback appreciated*

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:44:27 AM by Privateer »
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:58:09 AM »
I like the looks of this a lot.

Privateer

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 08:57:33 PM »
Moving on Rewards now

Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

rudy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 11:06:46 PM »
Just worked through one of the beginner quests with Privateer's help.

I like the use of F1 to give dialogue for quests very much.

There needs to be more clarity on quest directions, but Privateer is already aware and updating that.

The quest selection option is very clever too.

Overall, I think the quest menu system is more complex than it needs to be. I'd (personally) prefer a system where each quest had one associated item (that described the quest, and gave flavor to it), and one option to turn it in.

I don't think the turn-in need use overly complex mechanics, but can rely on the RP of the player. For instance, you could have a quest that told the player to go to a mountain top and bring a sacred wood. You would not be able to test in the recipe that they actually went to a mountaintop; that would be on the players. Simplifying the quest requirements to be more RP based would both make it easier to understand, and make the flexibility in what quests could be much broader.

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:33 AM »
 Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.
I appreciate others point of view to broaden my own thoughts and processes.
Mods:

Privateer

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 10:57:07 PM »
Version update to v1.8 with the implementation of trade credit rewards in addition to skill up chances.
 Top post download has been updated

Beginners quests are now spread out (2) in each type of settlement, completing all (6) beginners quest gives the items
needed to 'M'ake the item "Talisman of trust"

" A talisman is any object ascribed with special powers or meanings
 intended to protect, heal, or even harm individuals for whom they
 are made. Talismans are often portable objects carried on someone
 in a variety of ways, this one proves that your words can be trusted."

This assurance allows you to get 'Quest token(s)' to perform profitable task/jobs/quests in all locations.

I've clipped a new short video that shows gameplay with this mod.. And of course my dog barking in the background >_<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQR5Z3BRSjc
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:03:06 PM by Privateer »
Mods:

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 05:02:43 AM »
It’s organic, when you can hear dog barking in the background.

Míriel

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 01:21:09 AM »
  Hi, I really like this mod. Thank you for this great idea, Privateer. It was a bit difficult at first to understand the quest acquiring system but the video helped a lot.
  I'm currently in the settlement part of the begginers quest and I think I found a minor issue, the growing up token in the trunks quest isn't removed by its completion.
   While I'm waiting for the hives to produce honeycombs I was checking the recipes in the All manners of things menu and I'm not sure what are meant to be the different types of bones and antlers in the carving recipe. I noticed I can use elk antlers and bones in both parts but I'd like to know what you had in mind for the "antler animal" and "antler hunter" categories and in the bones also.

Privateer

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 01:48:25 AM »
  Hi, I really like this mod. Thank you for this great idea, Privateer. It was a bit difficult at first to understand the quest acquiring system but the video helped a lot.
  I'm currently in the settlement part of the begginers quest and I think I found a minor issue, the growing up token in the trunks quest isn't removed by its completion.
   While I'm waiting for the hives to produce honeycombs I was checking the recipes in the All manners of things menu and I'm not sure what are meant to be the different types of bones and antlers in the carving recipe. I noticed I can use elk antlers and bones in both parts but I'd like to know what you had in mind for the "antler animal" and "antler hunter" categories and in the bones also.

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback!

You are correct there is a [remove] missing in that location and I've fixed it, thank you for that!

I probably out thought myself but where I was going with the bone and antler task(s) was to allow working either bone or antler
from one simple task. Since all bone and antler contains 'specific' animal tags ie; Reindeer, elk and more for bone a large number of 'tasks' would be needed given my thinking. So the first task chops a 1lb working piece of antler or bone, the second has option for doing either bone/antler carving of the 1 lb item, while providing a stable naming of the product for 'quest turn in' eg: Bone carved with animal scene
vs it coming out with something like:
Pig bone carved with animal scene

The whole engraving thing is/was an idea of having different (virtual of course) outputs from one menu, which allows for different item selection ie Bone OR Antler

It was primarily an idea to add carving via simplified menus with a projectable product name.
Another underlying issue is whether the output is really the material it says, but since there is no purpose at the moment that is lesser imo.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:11:47 AM by Privateer »
Mods:

Míriel

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 05:04:04 AM »
It's always nice to receive a fast reply :). I will post other feedback as I progress in the quests.

Privateer

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 07:14:22 AM »
 So I looked and started a new play and found more errors by me >_<
I have updated the top link with fixes to some naming and ingredient issues in the beginners quest reward.

fixed
\\ Honey combs not properly called out in recipe
\\ Several beginner quests did not produce fur as reward due to a tag error with [name:] and [NAME:]
 \\ v2.1 fixed mushroom and egg beginners quest turn in names

Please get v2.1 files before turning in any beginners quests so you don't waste your efforts.

>>>Top post updated to v 2.0<<<

Found that at least my mistakes are consistent >_< Sorry for the incomplete updates. Trying to fix and play thru
and I made it kind of hard. I'm 5 out of 6 complete (attached) need to find some eggs to complete 'beginners'

*A special thank you to @Míriel for motivating me to look at this again as it was totally buggered since I moved beginners quests out to separate locations.

>>>Top post updated to v 2.1<<<
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:42:33 AM by Privateer »
Mods:

Privateer

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 09:20:03 PM »
Attached is a view of the menu system and a description follows below on how to interact with them.

- There are three menus at this point;
  -ALL MANNER OF THINGS
  -TRAILS & TREVAILS
  -PASS THE HAT

The 'ALL MANNER OF THINGS' menu creates the questing token(s) and Advanced questing item.
It also contains a few items (from my other stuff) that may be used to complete some quests.

In 'TRAILS & TREVAILS' menu all the current quests are assigned. In the top section are the beginners quests, one task (1) (two quests) and the two (2) turn in tasks for that location.
 Below that are the 'locations' where Advanced quest tasks are.

The 'PASS THE HAT' menu is all the Advanced quest turn in tasks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:46:07 AM by Privateer »
Mods:

Míriel

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 07:11:40 AM »
  I'm having soo much fun with this mod ;D that I kept postponing the feedback to play some more.
  The brewing barrel is cute and very well thought out, even though in my excitement I first used a pot to brew mead (and now I have to buy another), my second batch is now in the appropriate container fermenting away. Now I want to become a brewer in game and create all possible flavors of mead.
  The quests descriptions are engaging and spirited, I'm looking forward to sand mushroom time so I can see if I can perform a little switch ;).
   That's it so far, I have to go back to stop some greedy birds raid to my source of honeycombs.
  I 'm glad to have been of any help to this project. Great mod, once again.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:32:19 AM by Míriel »

Privateer

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 10:44:55 PM »
 Minor version update to v2.2
Made a slight change in one (1) advanced quest 'Hostile Takeover"
The quantity change assures that 'you' the player decide how to complete the quest.

The top link is updated to URW_questing v2.2
Mods:

Míriel

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »
  Had to take a break in questing :'( but now I've returned with feedback updates.

The sick girl quest has a very moving description that reminded me of a fable I read as a child.
  The tribute shrine is a much needed addition to the game, now I can properly mourn my beloved animals.

I found two typos in the diy file, one that interfered with the quests acquiring and completion, sauna stove was misspelled as suana stove, the other one was a lacking D in the hideworking skill used in quiver making.
  In the Weary repairman quest I'm unsure if the wooden cup of pipe juice is made differently from the usual boiled beverages since my cup of boiled bear pipe root isn't being accepted.

To be continued ;)

anything