Topic: Buoidda's crafts 2.3.6 [released 2021-01-12]  (Read 23465 times)

Brygun

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 01:33:19 AM »
Working in the BAC side of things the different use of the phrase

fibre of

is not consistent with

fibre from

Not sure if thats just in the BAC

Brygun

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 02:51:29 AM »
i ran your code for the rope as

// From Bouidda v2.1
// Rope is now made by braiding 3 cords together
// "cord" will produce cord rope, which I don't like too much
// mixed cords will produce 'mixed braided rope'
.Braided rope. "Rope"   -R-   [phys:hands,one-armed] *HIDEWORKING* /20/ [patch:5] [assist:1] |-2|
{*cord*} =3=   (3) [remove] [patchwise] 'cord' [name:%s rope] [naming:last word]
[LENGTH:3]
[WEIGHT:0.3]
[PRICE:0.4]

What happened is 3 of 15 ft long basts were consumed to give 1 of 3 ft rope.

Brygun

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 05:27:28 AM »
Suspicion:

after the =3= for 3 ft (?) the call for (3) is more powerful. Meaning it trumps the call for only =3= feet and takes (3) whole objects

=9= might work. going to test.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:33:11 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 05:49:26 AM »
This worked properly

// From Bouidda v2.1
// Rope is now made by braiding 3 cords together
// "cord" will produce cord rope, which I don't like too much
// mixed cords will produce 'mixed braided rope'
.Braided rope. "Rope"   -R-   [phys:hands,one-armed] *HIDEWORKING* /20/ [patch:5] [assist:1] |-2|
{*cord*} =9=   [remove] [patchwise] 'cord' [name:%s rope] [naming:last word]
[LENGTH:3]
[WEIGHT:0.3]
[PRICE:0.7]

If the cord lengths are two long the game warns about that so the player can trim down.
Once made ropes can be joined longer or cut shorter. Successfully used the rope to make a stone axe.

Buoidda

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »
believe the quality of the bast like "fine" can interfere with the recipe calls so they should be *fibre calls

no quality tags cannot be referred to, though I'd like to be able to

Good testing about the rope. I have to make an update too.

I changed to the "fibre of"-expression because it is more widely accurate. You can talk of fibre from nettle, hemp etc. when referring to the original "donor" of the fibre. But fibre from bast or sinew doesn't really work language-wise, imo. They are not "from" bast since all they are made of is bast. Therefore "of" would be more appropriate. Once again, I'd love to have native English speakers' opinion on this.

Privateer

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 08:50:38 AM »
~snip~
 I'd love to have native English speakers' opinion on this.

Generally it would be the 'item(s) fiber'
So cotton fiber not fiber of cotton (fibre if you prefer). You would pluralize with 'strands of fibers' or 'strands of cotton fibers'
but not 'strands of fibers of cotton'

To me anyway ;)
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Buoidda

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »
Naturally :9 that is the way I'd like to put it, but since we don't have the [naming: first word] -tag, I can't. There was a suggestion abt this somewhere. So many times I have wanted more flexible name modding...

https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5875.0

What if you had to choose between "from"/"of"?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:53:38 PM by Buoidda »

Buoidda

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
Bump up for a release. I'm so excited!

So I fiddled about with flora and managed to put some quirky trees into existence.  :o

Now would-be bowyers need to actually find proper tree individuals for their craft. I find the mechanic is really interesting and immersive compared to the original bowying I had in 1.x. Wonder if someone already did something like this (mod trees)?

Be sure to check out and even start modding some new trees yourself!

Tag! @Brygun @Privateer @Dungeon Smash
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:55:57 PM by Buoidda »

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 05:48:33 PM »
Didnt find any like button, so: 'thumbs up' from me then. great work.

I also made a bowying mod, but again not as detailed as yours. dont know if you were "wondering" about something like this, but i will post it here
It makes it possible(while hard and very time consuming) to craft Hunting, Long and Northern bow. results are(or should be) almost all the times inferior to found or traded ones.

A "green body", (rawling) is produced as a first workstep out of a board. that makes even shortbow crafting more tedious.
The green body is required for all bows but the primitive bow.

The mod also inhibits bowstring, which is made of 3 cords and needed for long, hunting and northern bows
Then there is glue, which you can cook from birch bark,fish skin or bones. Glue is needed for Hunting and Northern bows.
Birch bark also comes into play when making a hunting or a northern bow, resembling the composite aspect.
The northern bow in the end, requires an additional workstep(realized by a "Recurve Bow Body" interstage product) which has to be completed with a bowstring and animal fat.
That mod intentionally forgoes special tools.

also moved arrows from the weapons menu to the bowying menu
Spoiler: show

[SUBMENU_START:Bowying]

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Primitive bow. "Juniper bow" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms]   %25%   *COMMON*      /80/ |0|
{Slender tree trunk} [remove]
{Knife}
{Cord} =5= [remove]

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Green Body. "Board" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*   %25%   /250/ |2|
{Board} [remove]
{Axe} <Carving axe>
{Knife} <Hunting Knife>
[NAME:Green Body]
[WEIGHT:3.0]

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Bowstring. "Cord" [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] *COMMON*     /120/ |-2|
{Cord} (3) =15= [remove]
{Knife}

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.tiller Green Body. "Shortbow" [effort:1] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*   %25%   /5/ |-2|
{Green Body} [remove]
{Cord}  =5= [remove]
[NAME:Shortbow] 

////--------(YOU ARE HERE: SUBMENU_Bowying)-------////

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.frugal Longbow. "Longbow" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*            %-50%   /320/ |2|
{Green Body} [remove]
{Axe} <Carving axe>
{Knife}
{Bowstring} =7= [remove]
[PRICE:60] 

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.unpretentious Composite Bow. "Hunting Bow" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*       %-70%   /320/ \6h\ |2|
{Green Body} [remove]
{Birch-bark strip}  =60= [remove]
{Glue} #0.2# [remove]
{Axe} <Carving axe>
{Knife}
{Bowstring} =6= [remove]
[PRICE:107] 

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Recurve Bow Body. "Wooden stake" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*      /320/ \12h\ |2|
{Green Body} [remove]
{Birch-bark strip}  =60= [remove]
{Glue} #0.3# [remove]
{Axe} <Carving axe>
{Knife}
{Board} 'for tillering'
{Rope} =6= 'for tillering'
[PRICE:132] 

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.plain Recurve Bow. "Northern Bow" [effort:1] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*            %-85%   /20/ |-2|
{plain Recurve Bow Body} [remove]
{Bowstring} =6= [remove]
{animal fat}
[NAME:plain Recurve Bow]

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Make Glue from fish skin. "rock" [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] *COMMON*  /5/ \2h\ %50% |-2| #0.1#
{Raw fish} #1# [remove]
{Pot}
{Fire}
{Water} #2#
{Knife} <Fisher's Knife>
[NAME:Glue]   

////--------(YOU ARE HERE: SUBMENU_Bowying)-------////

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Make Glue from bones. "rock" [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] *COMMON*  /5/ \2h\ %50% |-2|
{Bone} #1# [remove]
{Pot}
{Fire}
{Water} #2#
{Knife} <Fisher's Knife>

//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Make Glue from Birch Tar. "rock" [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] *COMMON*  /5/ \7h\ %50% |-2|
{Birch-bark strip} =160= [remove]
{Pot}
{Fire}

.Arrow. [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed]     *CARPENTRY*        /30/    [patch:5]
{Branch}      [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Knife}
{Feather} (3) [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Cord} =1=    [remove] [patchwise]
{Rock}        [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]

.Blunt arrow. [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed]  *CARPENTRY*       /45/    [patch:5]
{Branch}      [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Feather} (3) [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Cord} =1=    [remove] [patchwise]
{Knife}

[SUBMENU_END:Bowying]

I am also working on an all embracing mod "Phil's stone age" ;) , but its not as detailed as yours.
I fail to overview the code so i built it with rudimentary solutions which i can change later. I have to admit that i stole some code(bacs earthenware for example) and ideas from other mods and changed them to my pleasure... which prevents me from actually "release" it because i dont want to step on anybody's toes.
The idea of my whole mod is making it possible to aquire a little bit more of the item universe while keeping it simple. Bowying is just a part of it.

I want to ephasize that my coding is nothing compared to the work of many of you experienced modders, i just have a more minimalstic approach because i want to move on familiar ground inside the codefile...
just feel free to use, copy, "steal"ideas and ofc destroy ::) codelines

edit: reading again i realized that i missed your call regarding the trees. Sorry if this here is completely out of place
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:53:57 AM by Dr.Hossa »

Brygun

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »

Well one thing about the 2020 lockdown in my city... more Unreal modding going on.  ;D :P

Brygun

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
Do the new trees still work for things like havesting bark, branches and twigs like the originals? Does the straight birch give you birch-bark? rowan give rowan-bark?

Privateer

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
I'm so excited!

Be sure to check out and even start modding some new trees yourself!

I'm most happy to see people find something that excites / inspires them.
 Once again the tree chopping game becomes the tree growing game!
I'll be sure to have a look.

Do the new trees still work.

This is probably another thing that should be cleaned up/added to flora_ parameters. Have option to make item 'solid". The trees will function the same as all 'flora' and you can walk on/over/through them.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Brygun

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
Checking over the new items from Bouidda for BAC. Main issue I always have to look into is available menu space. Since these would replace some of the existing bowying entries its possible.

Note to users: possible change to bowying coming suggest you finish current bows or hold off on updates until your current bows are done.

>>>

Along the way noticed the bone working.

The price on the tooth necklace is currently forty-eight (48) which is 48 squirrels hides, which is HUGE. Previous tooth necklace price im seeing in BAC was two (2). The tooth necklace would be worth more than the animal's hide. I suspect there is a typo in there.

Buoidda

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »
... which prevents me from actually "release" it <snip> I want to ephasize that my coding is nothing compared to the work of many of you experienced modders

Though, tbh, you just did (release). Now it's forever in the abyss of the internet ;D But don't be humble, I think you should just go ahead and make a thread even if you don't plan updating it loyally. And I do think ppl here are more on the chill side than usual, so borrowing from others shouldn't be a problem to anyone. Just don't expressly claim all of it yours if it isn't.

Thank you for all the praise! The reason my release style is so 'formal' is (apart from the usual ocd) perhaps my background in computer science. Hard to break old habits... I'm partly doing it also to set some example on commenting and study material for future modders. All of my stuff at least is out there to use without attribution (to make ppl feel comfortable modifying it as they see fit). All that said, by no means I expect anyone to use up time as stupidly for all the needless chatter.  :P

Do the new trees still work for things like havesting bark, branches and twigs like the originals? Does the straight birch give you birch-bark? rowan give rowan-bark?

I see Privateer answered already. No. They are walk-through ghosts of trees. They or parts of them are to be picked-up as tokens and immediately processed into proper lumber. At least for now. I did make a suggestion about tree modding here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6109.0

Thanks @Privateer  :)

@Brygun. Yes you are right, the jewellery value is probably off. Pricing values are then my weak spot, since that is not a typo. You see I spend most of my Urw time starving to death somewhere I wish I wasn't. I remembered from years-back northern bows being valued something like 176 hides so I thought 48 would be ok. Using my mod it's a lot quicker to make a northern bow than to have 12 teeth of the same animal. At least if you somehow conjure up those 5 perches.

I have to start reassessing prices across my mod.

On menu space. Well that's up to your judgement. The intermediary steps of processing tokens into raw lumber items might be bypassed for one. I just didn't wan't ppl to collect millions of tokens on their travels (though it's still possible if you abuse same terrain elsewhere). I chose not to continue two-wood longbow-line and nerf the old 'Buoidda's recurvedNB 8p' down to vanilla. Reason is that back then I was under the popular misconception that the wiki bow accuracy attribute affected bow shooting accuracy. This topic is discussed at length here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5649.0 So now that Northern bows are so superior (rightly so in my biased-ass mind), I see no reason to make longbows anymore. That two-wood longbow item was anyway a spin-off historical example because I've read of similar archaeological finds near Oslo, Norway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:43:38 PM by Buoidda »

Brygun

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »
@Bouidda totally agree on being uncertain on prices

One of the old wikis had their price list in torches, not squirrel hides, which is IIRC 8-12 torches for one squirrel hide.

A day's labour unskilled is worth less than the work of a skilled worker.

Just made a punt with Tuukka and Im staring at the price value I set for it and wondering if I was way off.

anything