Topic: Cethegus sledwagon reborn  (Read 18511 times)

Galgana

« on: July 24, 2020, 05:55:23 AM »
Hauling logs around is such a pain when you're building a cabin. I put together a retooled version of Cethegus's sledwagon from the old forum, so now it uses a loading mechanism inspired by Privateer's quiver mod.

Due to the nature of single-product crafting recipes, unloading cargo would destroy the sledwagon in the original mod. Privateer's quiver mod temporarily turns arrows into fish so they can be put into a container. Normally, items placed in a container cannot be recovered from the inventory, so another crafting recipe is needed to produce items by weight from the container's contents.

I applied the same concept to the sledwagon, effectively making it a glorified tub instead of a boat. Its standalone weight is 25 lbs (which seems to be the maximum property for the base object). Since logs are generally too heavy to lift, the recipe for loading cargo converts logs into a token 5% of the original weight (from 400 to 20 lbs). I've set the sledwagon's carrying capacity to 240 lbs which should be enough to return 2 walls' worth of logs. If your bull is capable of carrying a 500-pound tree trunk, this mod will let you load it up with cargo worth at least 24 logs at a time, which is ridiculously overpowered but convenient when you're committed to clearcutting a map tile for a farm. Be kind to your beasts of burden and spread the load if you can. Also, feel free to adjust the weights to your liking.

Unloading has a 1-minute preparation time to put logs on the ground. You must be able to lift the sledwagon in order to unload logs. I recommend reducing the container capacity and maximum batch/patch count if your character has a low encumbrance threshold.

I've provided alternate sprites for the sledwagon you can use depending on the season: skis for winter and wheels for summer. Changing the TILEGFX parameter from sledge to sledge1 will make stacking look a bit wonky since they'll be considered distinct enough to separate, so I recommend simply swapping the file name in your truetile folder.

Copy to DIY file:
Code: [Select]
[SUBMENU_START:transport]
.Sledwagon. "Wooden tub" *TIMBERCRAFT* /1h/ [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{Board} (8) [remove] [ground] '+for frame and skis'
{Block of wood} (4) [remove] [ground] [optional] '+for summertime wheels'
{Axe} <Carving axe> '+for shaping'
{Rope} =150= [remove] +'for securing loads'
[WEIGHT:25]
[CONT_CAPACITY:240]
[TILEGFX:sledge]

.Load cargo. "Roach" *COMMON* /10/ [patch:12] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] [noquality]
{Sledwagon*} [ground] 'stand near sledwagon'
{Log} [remove] [ground] [patchwise] [name:%s cargo] [naming:original]
[TILEGFX:log]
[MATERIAL:wood]
[SPOILAGE_DAYS:0]
[WEIGHT:20]

.Unload logs. "Log" *COMMON* /5/ \1\ [patch:12] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] [noquality]
{Sledwagon of log cargo} #20# [remove] [patchwise]
[NAME:Log]

[SUBMENU_END:transport]

BlankPaper

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:04:54 AM »
Fantastic mod, I'll definitely try it out! I've often wondered why we didn't have sleds or travois to facilitate hauling stuff around.

Privateer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 07:40:58 AM »
 I'll be sure to try this out, but in the mean time, It seems like you gave a good deal of thought to making this work realistically/properly in game
and I applause that on it's own. Looks great!
And much better than the gamey minus weight implementation I settled on when I made a cart.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Wolvgar

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
how do you move the wagon?
push/ride/pull/ attach to animal?

Galgana

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 09:36:06 PM »
As with any container item, you can:
  • pick it up
  • push it
  • pack it
  • drag it
  • drop it
  • throw it
  • stash stuff in it
The game currently does not support riding or animal-powered pulling.

A pack animal is convenient for carrying a loaded wagon container, but not 100% necessary. Also not 100% necessary is putting cargo tokens immediately into the wagon container. The "unloading" mechanism works by having a filled wagon in your inventory, but you're allowed to pack cargo items by themselves onto an animal. However, it would look more immersive to have the wagon on the ground beside the animal for the loading activity.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:00:47 AM »
Wow!!! This is awesome!  Now I can finally make my dreams of a sled-dog team a reality... or rather, an UnReality... :P

Brygun

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 12:52:12 AM »
I think this is a great help. One of the tedious parts of replaying after so many times is the logging for a new stead and house.

For BAC users this is exactly the sort of thing you can put into the few remaining letter slots. Objects once created are stable so after doing all the logging you could free up the diy if you really needed to. This is meant as a support for this mod.

Ezezaguna

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »
This is great  :D

Brygun

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
I have space in the BAC to add this under utility.

If you wish to have this removed let me know.

>>>>

Im tweaking the loaded token slightly so let me know if this might cause errors.

= Base object from "roach" (a food) to "hunting horn". The horn is used a lot as a safe base object.

= Removed spoilage entry as its no longer food

= Set to category tool to avoid accidental selection as a burnable without unmaking the token

= Added to unload having the sled wagon nearby, so people dont just run off with logs in their pocket and will actually move the sled

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:34:02 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »
This is the variant for the BAC that went under utility. Note renaming of graphic for gg-sledge. Also the special naming code for the loaded logs was removed my wording is a little different. Tested this is Novrus went ok.

// Galgana's Cethegus sledwagon reborn
//
// from https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5673.0
// adapted to BAC with minor edits, wheels now madatory
// Sled build time longer from 1h to 2h

.Sledwagon. "Wooden tub"   *TIMBERCRAFT*   /2h/ [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{Board}      (8)   [remove] [ground] '+for frame and skis'
{Block of wood}   (4)   [remove] [ground] '+for summertime wheels'
{Axe} <Carving axe>   '+for shaping'
{Rope}   =150=      [remove] +'for securing loads'
[WEIGHT:25]
[CONT_CAPACITY:240]
[TILEGFX:gg-sledge]

.Load sled. "Hunting Horn"   *COMMON*   /10/ [patch:12] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] [noquality]
{Sledwagon*}   [ground] '+ stand near sledwagon'
{Log}      [remove] [ground] [patchwise]
[NAME:Sledwagon of log cargo]
[MATERIAL:wood]
[TYPE:tool]

.Unload sled. "Log"   *COMMON*   /5/ \1\ [patch:12] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] [noquality]
{Sledwagon*}   [ground] '+ stand near sledwagon'
{Sledwagon of log cargo}   #20#   [remove] [patchwise]

Privateer

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 12:31:54 AM »
Im tweaking the loaded token slightly so let me know if this might cause errors.

= Base object from "roach" (a food) to "hunting horn". The horn is used a lot as a safe base object.

= Removed spoilage entry as its no longer food

= Set to category tool to avoid accidental selection as a burnable without unmaking the token

= Added to unload having the sled wagon nearby, so people dont just run off with logs in their pocket and will actually move the sled

The changes you have made fundamentally changes what is actually happening in this mod. In my perspective this breaks his sledwagon where objects are loaded though game mechanic (a)pply, (p)our or put something it, and loading "solid objects" be they arrows or logs.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Brygun

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 01:18:19 AM »
So the use or "Roach" as a base object was to fit into the container?

Privateer

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 02:29:52 AM »
So the use or "Roach" as a base object was to fit into the container?

Yes any 'food' item can be put into containers. By controlling the weight of the item you can then make a mod to pull out only the actual amount (without inadvertently consuming part of the container). One issue is that pulling out IS a task and thus item quality is set on pull out. For arrows I used the vanilla arrow recipe so that the player gets the arrows they can make.
 With logs since all quality should be decent the quality issue doesn't exist like it would if you put in other non-vanilla craftable items like axes.
Mods:

Galgana

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 02:33:01 AM »
I'm reminded of the phrase "putting the cart before the horse" and would like to make suggestions for how to improve the sledwagon's integration with BAC:

Pulling harness added to adjust the work order for loading as part of replacing the food-container mechanics that were featured in the thread:

[SUBMENU_START:tying equipment]

// Order of loading:
// select pack animal(s)
// attach harness (Shift+P to push onto animal)
// set sledwagon on ground
// load cargo
// push sledwagon onto lead pack animal
// travel and profit
//
// NOTE: pigs and sheep are not ideal pack animals.

.Pulling harness. "Leather rope" *HIDEWORKING* /30/ [effort:1] [phys:arms,hands] [assist:2] |-2|
{Leather rope} =30= [remove] [LENGTH:30] [name:dog harness] '+to fit dog'
{Leather rope} =15= [remove] [optional] [LENGTH:45] [name:reindeer harness] 'more rope to fit reindeer'
{Leather rope} =60= [remove] [optional] [LENGTH:90] [name:ox harness] 'more rope to fit oxen'
// 30 ft for dogs
// 45 ft for reindeer
// 90 ft for cattle

[SUBMENU_END:tying equipment]

Base item of sledwagon changed to punt, weight adjusted to 15 lbs (explained in notes);
Added slender tree trunk cargo to represent felled young trees plus small trees such as rowan or alder:

// Sledwagon has been promoted to [TYPE:vehicle] for BAC edition
// as loading no longer relies on food-container mechanics based on Privateer's quiver mod:
// https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5499.0
//
// Standard for BULL pulling power takes into account the fact
// that maximum load for owned animals equals body weight.
// A 500-pound BULL is capable of unassisted carrying: 1 trunk = 500 lbs;
// weight reductions for loaded material considered accordingly:
//
// CALCULATING LOGS
// 5% log = 400 reduced to 20 lbs;
// 24 units log cargo = haul worth 9600 lbs in real weight.
//
// CALCULATING SLENDER TREE TRUNKS (small or young trees)
// 9600 lbs of real weight = 192 slender trunks
// approximately worth 48 young/small trees
// (yielding between 3-5 slender trunks per chop);
// young trees evidently weigh 150-250 lbs
// THEREFORE
// 20% slender trunk = reduced 50 to 10 lbs
//
// Vehicle status allows water transportation as an unintended side-effect;
// until flotation mechanics are implemented (should be [FLOTATION:0]),
// sledwagon at [WEIGHT:15] can ferry loads weighing below 3000 lbs (7 logs).
// As a watercraft, the sledwagon can bear up to 149 units of log cargo
// at a nominal 2980 lbs, representative of 59600 lbs in real weight);
// 144 logs is enough to build 24 walls and leftover logs may be cut into boards
// (5 logs = 100 boards = 16 units of wood building interior + shutters for 2 walls).
//
// Floating logs on a sledwagon is not recommended.
//
// Range of carrying capacity (pull power) for individual/lead beasts of burden
// with sledwagon (15 lbs), harness (between 2-6 lbs) and units of log cargo:
//
// 750-lbs large BULL 36 logs
// 500-lbs BULL 23 logs
// 450-lbs small BULL 21 logs
// 280-lbs small COW 12 logs
// 350-lbs large REINDEER 16 logs
// 160-lbs small REINDEER 7 logs
// 260-lbs large PIG 12 logs
// 150-lbs small PIG 6 logs
// 100-lbs large DOG 4 logs
// 60-lbs small DOG 2 logs
//
// some animal weight classes may carry +1 unit of log cargo
// as part of baggage train rather than the lead packer (carrying sledwagon)

.Sledwagon. "Punt" *CARPENTRY* /2h/ [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{Board} (8) [remove] [ground] '+for frame and skis'
{Block of wood} (2) [remove] [ground] '+to split for summertime wheels'
{Axe} <Carving axe> '+for shaping'
{Rope} =150= [remove] '+for securing loads'
{Leather tarp} [remove] '+to cover loads from weather'
[WEIGHT:15]
//[FLOTATION:0]
[TILEGFX:gg-sledge]

.Load logs. "Hunting horn" *COMMON* /10/ [patch:12] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{Sledwagon} [ground] 'stand near sledwagon'
{Log} [remove] [ground] [patchwise]
[NAME:log cargo]

.Load slender trunks. "Hunting horn" *COMMON* /5/ [patch:24] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{Slender trunk} [remove] [ground] [patchwise]
[NAME:slender trunk cargo]
[WEIGHT:10]
[TILEGFX:sltrunk]

.Unload logs. "Log" *COMMON* /5/ \1\ [patch:12] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{log cargo} (1) [remove] [patchwise]

.Unload slender trunks. "Slender tree trunk" *COMMON* /2/ \1\ [patch:24] [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] [assist:3] |-2| [noquality]
{slender trunk cargo} (1) [remove] [patchwise]
[NAME:Slender tree trunk]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:43:23 AM by Galgana »

Brygun

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 03:01:17 AM »
Also thanks for allowing, discussion and correcting my not-roach error.

>>>

Discussion:

Base object Punt is no longer a container so doesn't fit the put it inside the container idea.

Not sure if we need to tweak the harness lengths. There is already a huge amount of rope being used.
Could just make the sledge recipe have to calls for rope, one for a generic harness, and then some lengths for tying down. Total maybe under the current 150 ft.

I like the idea of having the different things being possible.

Actually... the tree trunks are really needed. Logs are after trimming. That would make

tree turnks
logs
slender trunks

something you might collect in the sledge

Each of those takes 2 recipes, one to load and one to off load.

BAC integration is restricted by the limited menu space. I definitely like having tree trunks and logs. Maybe the slender logs.

I think keeping the put-in-container idea is better. Many players won't be reading the notes as to how much to put on a bull. Saying limit to container is much easier to "enforce".

anything