Topic: Frostbitten toes!  (Read 5899 times)

Tom H

« on: December 27, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »
I never had a problem with this before, perhaps because in the older version one could wear both leather boots and fur footwear, simultaneously. What's troubling me is that now that the temperature has dropped very low I'm having to stop a lot to make a fire because my FEET get cold. Ignoring it results in frostbite, so, it's serious.

I'm wearing bear fur footwear, but, I've also tried leather boots, and it's not enough. I can't find woolen socks anywhere (except on my Companion's feet, that is), so I'm wondering if there's some new method for staying warm?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »
Without socks (which you either will have to be lucky to find for sale in a village, or get equally lucky to find on a Njerp's corpse), you probably have to spend most of your time either indoors on massaging the numbness out of your feet close to yet another fire during the coldest days of the year.
Keeping hands and feet from getting frost bitten is tricky before you get hold of that wool goodness, and may not be that easy afterwards either.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
Hmmm, What about 'footwraps'? Can those be worn with boots? Not that I have those, either...lol

Bjornulve

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
This has really been bothering me especially when you consider the fact that Finland rarely gets colder than -5 - -10*F which honestly isn't that cold if you keep dry. At worst you get -40 wind chills in the north; again, not particularly cold unless fur is less insulated than basic leather work boots. (I've never actually worn fur).

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »
Woollen footrags can indeed be worn with leather boots, i made it one of my priorities to find some asap

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 07:07:19 AM »
Thanks, Smash. I'll put them on my list of items to find early on.

Ara D.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
You should make a suggestion. I feel it's reasonable for our characters to have the knowledge and skills need to turn old (often blood soaked) wool clothes into foot wraps.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 08:32:20 PM »
You should make a suggestion. I feel it's reasonable for our characters to have the knowledge and skills need to turn old (often blood soaked) wool clothes into foot wraps.
I certainly agree with this.  A character can make a whole coat of fur in a couple hours but has no idea how to rip up a woolen tunic into strips?

Tom H

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 03:43:00 AM »
Did it several days ago! ;)

Copos

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
You could add these recipes to diy_glossary.txt under [SUBMENU_START:clothes]

.Linen footrags.   [phys:hands,one-armed]   *COMMON*   /5/
{Linen *} #.2# [remove] +'Linen fabric'
{Knife}

.Woollen footrags.   [phys:hands,one-armed]   *COMMON*   /5/
{Woollen *} #.2# [remove] +'Wool fabric'
{Knife}

Tom H

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
After extensive travel and incurring frostbite on both feet, I finally found linen footrags! Despite very low temperature, I have not had another instance of cold feet.

anything