Topic: Send a Saved game  (Read 5819 times)

Tom H

« on: September 18, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »
Allow me to display my ignorance. I don't know how to send in a saved game! I once found a post explaining how-to in the OLD Thoth's URW site but apparently that site is deceased now. And don't laugh. I was born before people could buy televisions, much less computers...lol. It's not my generation's area of expertise.

Any help will be appreciated!

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »
Let me know if I move to fast;
1) Zip the 'character' folder to a file.
2) Attach the file to an email to sami
3) Describe the situation, URW version, OS version
4) Send
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »
Hey old man (from someone who started existence quite some time ago, although quite not before it was possible to buy TVs) ;)

There are essentially two ways:
1. Use something like 7-Zip that's capable of splitting files into chunks of desirable sizes and send each such chunk as an E-mail attachment (with the risk of warnings that you're sending very large files). Sami is capable to collecting these parts and assemble them into a ZIP file he can extract. This is the (fairly dated method I've mostly used). 10 MB chunks tend to go through most mail servers.
2. Use some kind of file sharing service such as e.g. Dropbox (the one I've used for such tasks, although I'm not sure I've used it with UrW. In that case you need to get hold of the SW, install it, and drag the file you want accessible (you character folder zipped up). That should allow you an option to get the link for the file you want to make available. You'd then post that link in an error report post or an email to Sami (the latter is probably the best), together with all relevant data you have on the issue (Be a pal and don't just refer to the bug post. Help the poor guy by providing both a description and a reference to the bug report [so he has an easier time finding it when it's time to cross it off the list]).

The email address to Sami is "sami@unrealworld.fi", which I think can be found somewhere among web site's contact info, although I took it from my address book (as a result of earlier bug reports), as I was too lazy to look for the proper reference which I'm rather sure is the same.

If something causes trouble, I can try to help further, but I'm somewhat technologically damaged due to having a computer background, so I may miss "obvious" steps and stumble blocks: Thus, I may need help to help you;)

I think Privateer may indeed skip a few steps, so my rambling description may provide some additions.

As far as I've seen, this is generally a very friendly forum where people try to help out without pointing fingers at those who don't know exactly everything they not.

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:52:56 AM »
Let me know if I move to fast;
1) Zip the 'character' folder to a file.
2) Attach the file to an email to sami
3) Describe the situation, URW version, OS version
4) Send

uhh, What was that first part again??

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:57:40 AM »
Hey old man (from someone who started existence quite some time ago, although quite not before it was possible to buy TVs) ;)

There are essentially two ways:
1. Use something like 7-Zip that's capable of splitting files into chunks of desirable sizes and send each such chunk as an E-mail attachment (with the risk of warnings that you're sending very large files). Sami is capable to collecting these parts and assemble them into a ZIP file he can extract. This is the (fairly dated method I've mostly used). 10 MB chunks tend to go through most mail servers.
2. Use some kind of file sharing service such as e.g. Dropbox (the one I've used for such tasks, although I'm not sure I've used it with UrW. In that case you need to get hold of the SW, install it, and drag the file you want accessible (you character folder zipped up). That should allow you an option to get the link for the file you want to make available. You'd then post that link in an error report post or an email to Sami (the latter is probably the best), together with all relevant data you have on the issue (Be a pal and don't just refer to the bug post. Help the poor guy by providing both a description and a reference to the bug report [so he has an easier time finding it when it's time to cross it off the list]).

The email address to Sami is "sami@unrealworld.fi", which I think can be found somewhere among web site's contact info, although I took it from my address book (as a result of earlier bug reports), as I was too lazy to look for the proper reference which I'm rather sure is the same.

If something causes trouble, I can try to help further, but I'm somewhat technologically damaged due to having a computer background, so I may miss "obvious" steps and stumble blocks: Thus, I may need help to help you;)

I think Privateer may indeed skip a few steps, so my rambling description may provide some additions.

As far as I've seen, this is generally a very friendly forum where people try to help out without pointing fingers at those who don't know exactly everything they not.

That file is over 700mb. Ok, it's on the way soon. Thankee, Palu...AND Privateer...heh

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
If you press [7] in game, it'll clean up the tiles you haven't visited in a long time -- only tiles that don't have any of your things in them--, which will make the file size smaller

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 04:58:53 AM »
If you press [7] in game, it'll clean up the tiles you haven't visited in a long time -- only tiles that don't have any of your things in them--, which will make the file size smaller

Deletes things like feathers, branches? Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »
Yes, feathers and branches and some more things:

Before you visit a tile, the game knows that it's a heathland tile so it will have approximately 400-500 pine trees and 40-50 young pine trees, 1-5 spruce trees, 1-15 young spruce trees, 1-5 birch trees, 0-2 fallen logs, 5-10 branches, 0-2 boulders. These numbers could be way off, they're just my guesses, but you can get the idea.

Once you visit a tile, the game stores exactly where all these things are. If while you were there, an elk walked through, then the game is also storing all the locations of the elk tracks.

Eventually this takes up a lot of space on your hard drive. [7] will trim it down, keeping only the locations where you've been recently and where you've left significant items -- a shelter, a building, some tools or clothing, some traps, a marker, villages, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:44:57 AM by Plotinus »

reminded

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 12:51:51 AM »
Thank you for that explanation, Plotinus.

I never knew what 'maintenance' the game said it was doing when I accidentally hit the 7 key.

What a cool feature.

anything