Topic: Can seals and beavers die underwater and be unrecoverable?  (Read 6365 times)

Roqi

« on: September 07, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »
I ask because I had peppered both with arrows only for them to disappear without a trace. If they died while in the diving state, would the corpse not appear on the surface?

Roqi

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
I guess I just got my answer.

Privateer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:54:37 PM »
Looks recoverable, There you go!
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
What kind of trap is that? How did you set it in the water?

Roqi

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »
What kind of trap is that? How did you set it in the water?

I edited the arrow graphics to have the same marking circle as traps for easier recovery. I was getting tired of spending hours squinting at every tree after a hunt.

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
Oh! That's a clever trick.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »
I've change the colors of my arrows to be bright orange/reddish, and have applied the same to the javelins. That works fairly well for me.

technophebe

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »
I edited the arrow graphics to have the same marking circle as traps for easier recovery. I was getting tired of spending hours squinting at every tree after a hunt.
I've change the colors of my arrows to be bright orange/reddish, and have applied the same to the javelins. That works fairly well for me.

How do you go about doing this? Is it just a case of editing the relevant .png in the game directory somewhere?

PALU

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »

How do you go about doing this? Is it just a case of editing the relevant .png in the game directory somewhere?
Yes. I copied the files to get backups and then modified them using Paint by painting individual pixels. There may well be an intelligent way to do it, but the images aren't that big, so there aren't too many pixels to change one at a time.
The files are in the truetile directory.

When a new DF update comes along I copy the truetile directory and then overwrite its contents with the files from my modified previous version. That should copy across the changes while keeping any additions, but modifications made by Sami to pre-existing tiles are lost. A smarter, more selective method would be to have the modified files only in a directory you whose contents you overwrite the original with.

I think non Windows users may need to take care to handle alpha channels correctly, but I don't know more about it than that. Make a backup, modify the original, check the results in the game, and revert (or retry) if it doesn't work correctly, obviously starting with something your character has access to.

technophebe

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
Thanks Palu, this sounds really useful!  ;D

codyo

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 04:39:49 AM »
Kind of old, but I can confirm this works for beavers too who can bleed to death while diving and "float" back up.