Topic: Quality of Life Improvements  (Read 5444 times)

Teellox

« on: March 18, 2019, 09:51:09 AM »
Hey Sami!

Thank you for an incredible game! I'm about 60 hours in, and loving it. While I do have some suggestions, they're mostly on the quality-of-life side of things.

This is a bit of a grab-bag, but if any of them prove to be useful, I'm honoured!

Suggestions:

• Have cords for smoking/drying be 'used up', the same way bark for tanning works. Otherwise, have each cord hold at most 10 food items (as opposed to the first cord holding 19).
  • When displaying inventory for selecting an item, only display items that can be selected for that task. For example, when setting a net, only display nets.
  • A 'move until interesting' command. I often find myself walking in straight lines a lot, and my pinky wears out. Being able to move in a direction until the character spots an animal, the player hits escape, or another event that would normally interrupt crafting would be superb. (Suggested hotkey: Alt-8)
  • A 'sort inventory' key. Keep the categories, but allow them all to be sorted alphabetically, by weight, by freshness, or (if fancy) by type (meats, fish, herbs, vegetables, etc).
  • Assigning hotkeys to items. Setting my bow to '1', arrows to '2', and paddle to '3' means I can type 'w1' to grab my bow, 'w2' to ready an arrow, and 'w3' when it's time to go rafting. This would be a big saver on inventory time.
  • A 'find' hotkey for inventory selection, so I can search for 'spoiled' or 'blunt' or other strings. (Suggested hotkey: '/')
  • I know already discussed elsewhere, but wear on tools would be fantastic, so this is me adding a +1 to that. Having to go travelling to find a new axe, or having my 'good knife' that's only used for skinning is something I'd relish.
  • Wear on tools depends upon quality. High quality tools wear out slower.
  • Indoor cellars
  • Ability to keep the music on the title screen (I really like the music!), but remove it from the in-game map, armour view, etc.
  • Birds (grouse, mostly) sometimes seem to fly in place. This seems odd.
  • Animals don't seem to be especially afraid of dogs. A fox snuck into my dog pen and ate their food!
  • A 'gate' item that costs more than a fence, and acts like a fence to animals, but can be moved through by humans without a climbing check.

Thanks again for a magnificent game!

~ T

PALU

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »
- Given that masterworks quality items are rare and they provide important bonuses to crafting, having them wear out would probably be viewed very unfavorably by many, especially if wear also reduces the quality (as I believe is the case with nets currently). Note that weapons and armor can get worn/damaged by combat.
- The "gate" item already exists in the form of the door. Only bears know how to open doors, and yes, you can build a door in between two fence sections.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:42:34 PM »
I get that "door" can be used to represent "Gate", but I do still think a "Gate" tile would be nice too.  For one thing, doors block line of sight when closed.  Also, they require quite a bit more in terms of resources and time.  It would be nice if you could build a gate with just a few stakes and maybe some cordage.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
Hey Sami!

Thank you for an incredible game! I'm about 60 hours in, and loving it. While I do have some suggestions, they're mostly on the quality-of-life side of things.

This is a bit of a grab-bag, but if any of them prove to be useful, I'm honoured!

Suggestions:

• Have cords for smoking/drying be 'used up', the same way bark for tanning works. Otherwise, have each cord hold at most 10 food items (as opposed to the first cord holding 19).
  • When displaying inventory for selecting an item, only display items that can be selected for that task. For example, when setting a net, only display nets.
  • A 'move until interesting' command. I often find myself walking in straight lines a lot, and my pinky wears out. Being able to move in a direction until the character spots an animal, the player hits escape, or another event that would normally interrupt crafting would be superb. (Suggested hotkey: Alt-8)
  • A 'sort inventory' key. Keep the categories, but allow them all to be sorted alphabetically, by weight, by freshness, or (if fancy) by type (meats, fish, herbs, vegetables, etc).
  • Assigning hotkeys to items. Setting my bow to '1', arrows to '2', and paddle to '3' means I can type 'w1' to grab my bow, 'w2' to ready an arrow, and 'w3' when it's time to go rafting. This would be a big saver on inventory time.
  • A 'find' hotkey for inventory selection, so I can search for 'spoiled' or 'blunt' or other strings. (Suggested hotkey: '/')
  • I know already discussed elsewhere, but wear on tools would be fantastic, so this is me adding a +1 to that. Having to go travelling to find a new axe, or having my 'good knife' that's only used for skinning is something I'd relish.
  • Wear on tools depends upon quality. High quality tools wear out slower.
  • Indoor cellars
  • Ability to keep the music on the title screen (I really like the music!), but remove it from the in-game map, armour view, etc.
  • Birds (grouse, mostly) sometimes seem to fly in place. This seems odd.
  • Animals don't seem to be especially afraid of dogs. A fox snuck into my dog pen and ate their food!
  • A 'gate' item that costs more than a fence, and acts like a fence to animals, but can be moved through by humans without a climbing check.

Thanks again for a magnificent game!

~ T

I'd go for wear if items made of reasonably repairable materials were able to be repaired; using the same stone axe forever is kind of silly.

Also it would mean we need a better method than dropping items and stepping away, to select what item we want for a job, instead of it automatically picking (and sometimes picking the worst item for the job ...)

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:55:32 PM »
FYI most of us do the tying for drying one batch of 19 at a time to keep using 1 cord for that much

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:58:57 PM »
  • Indoor cellars
+1

- The "gate" item already exists in the form of the door. Only bears know how to open doors, and yes, you can build a door in between two fence sections.
I didn't know this. Odd but useful use of doors.
Do you mean they bash the door in? I haven't had the pleasure of having a bear visit my home yet.
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
The door was open and not damaged after the bear barged in, which I consider to be opening rather than bashing.
(I tried to be smart by firing at the bear through the window, so it wasn't surprising that the bear went after the character).

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »