Topic: Universal size in URW  (Read 5841 times)

« on: January 24, 2019, 01:34:54 AM »
If kaumo and owl differ greatly in size, why do they wear clothes of the same weight and size?

There should be an option to 'readjust' large clothes for small and medium built players. Not only do small players wear 'poorly fitted' clothes, their encumburance level is higher becos they are wearing heavy giant clothes. Not fair?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:17:01 AM »
I agree clothing weight ought to be adjusted to size, as it penalizes small characters unfairly. Implementing it isn't trivial, however, as it would require the implementation of different sized clothing, and that would mean it would be even harder to get high quality gear than it currently is, in particular for armor that you can't make yourself.

JEB Davis

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 03:28:53 PM »
snip... it would be even harder to get high quality gear than it currently is, in particular for armor that you can't make yourself.

Which might not be a bad thing.

Signatus

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
It could be a bad thing if it gets too much in the way. For instance, would it be even possible for an owly to use a kaumo's shirt? What about the other way around? Being loose is very different from being shorter than expected. The kaumo would be squeezed while the owly could just tie a belt or use it as a dress, lol.

Maybe you'd get a small penalty for wearing clothes that are too big, and a bugger penalty for using small clothes? Also how would elasticity of material factor into this? Surely leather is hard but wool and linen can atretch and fit a bit.

JEB Davis

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:38:12 PM »
I'm guessing not much in the way of elasticity, at least compared to modern clothing.

Any difficulties clothing sizes would cause the character are completely acceptable, because they would be completely realistic if programmed to be so. Large clothes could cause a penalty, or be altered and lose a step or two of quality due to the character's amateurish efforts. Small clothes just couldn't be worn at all.

But I think this topic has been raised before, and the devs said something along the lines of while it would be a nice realism touch, the programming time/effort involved puts it low on the priority list. There are much more important things for the game's forward progress.

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
And don't forget how when women put on metal armor it becomes bikini cups.  :P

Ahem.

Aside from that humor its a huge thing to code for limited in game affect. Yes, it would add realism but its only the extreme body sizes that have much issue with this.

Body armor has a bit of adjustment to it. I've made and used armor in the SCA medieval combat tournies. Most people can wear the average torso armor of some one else. The buckles are tighter or looser. There may be some limitation but it would be only a small skill penalty. There may be some small gaps but in fast flowing combat its harder to aim for those.

One time I even borrowed a thin ladies torso armor and squezed my male (then fit) profile in. The "corset" as we then called it restricted my breathing but I did fight in it during the practice class where I otherwise would have had to skip that day's class.

laclongquan

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 04:17:34 AM »
Different size of wearables mean increase in number of items.

So when we had a stack of 3 linen shirts, for example, which is one line of item.
 Now we have 3 different lines of 1 (small/medium/large) linen shirts.

Which put heavy, heavy demand on cell/map item storage.

I say no change to this. Let sleeping dog lie~

PALU

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »
Different size of wearables mean increase in number of items.

So when we had a stack of 3 linen shirts, for example, which is one line of item.
 Now we have 3 different lines of 1 (small/medium/large) linen shirts.

Which put heavy, heavy demand on cell/map item storage.

I say no change to this. Let sleeping dog lie~
Doesn't actually make much of a difference in practice, because virtually all of the clothing items you bring back from fights are worn to different levels so they don't stack anyway.

However, I agree it's a change that should be a fair bit down on the priority list (placing it for implementation around 2050 or so).

anything