Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336829 times)

Brygun

« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2019, 01:06:22 AM »
Found in the BAC truetile folder an unknown version BAC.zip of about 100kb. This probably was a file copying error. Its location does mean that the last numerous BAC versions have that as an unneeded file in the truetile folder. It should be okay to delete it.

It is removed for the next BACv###.zip so the zips going forward will be considerably smaller in size.

Brygun

« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2019, 03:59:37 AM »
I was considering a major economic look over with the wiki in torches but the game on squrrel hides

17 t = 1 sh

That would be a huge thing to do.

I think Im not going to do that right now as there isnt major complaints on the BAC prices.

Brygun

« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2019, 04:55:58 AM »
Upcoming in the next release

Adaption and integration of most of the concepts of ptr987 woodworking.

What did make it in is

= the bow making changes, it appears well integrated already,
= wood shelves, wood chest and the use of a furniture shell as a pre build step
= sanding tool now required for the better carpentry items (only, basic things unchanged)

What didn't make it in and some reasons
= linseed oil. If flax is out of season the player may be trapped from making things.
= Alternate to Pitch paint considered but not implemented. It is already available in the BAC as diluted pitch glue could be used as a sealant but that is more about things like boats or buckets constantly with liquids.
= Furniture shell steps narrowed down to save on menu space
= Carving menu as we have cups and bowls so adding decorative versions would take up menu spots. Individual user can use a free menu slot if wanted.
= the token system for zero price furniture but token carry to a town. Also needing a lots of menu space. Prices, as I see them, attached to the furniture can be set to zero and the listed price attached to a token. Or you could as a user have a single "you owe me" token that the user manually edits with their collected gifts. Either way bit tricky with new users.
= Carpentry bed commented out though listed in the text file. Beginner users might expect "Bunk" benefits which it doesnt have. Experienced users can easily take out the comment lines and put them back in.

>>>>>

Also...

I am reviewing the pricing across all BAC diy for the 1/17 issue. Many items have price 0 anyway as they were already modded a player  only uses this item. Others are usually pretty obvious given the nearly x 20 pricing differences needed. Finding it reasonable to proceed.

Brygun

« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2019, 05:49:54 AM »
Knitting and armor was found to be on the old torch currency so all its entries got the 1/17 applied to be in squirrel hides.

Iron worked items like nails or "shape" set to 4 x weight
Steel billets set to 6 x weight
Metal working typical 1.5 to 2 x value of iron/steel components seems to come out to vanilla prices
with of course the price of armor needing to be in squirrel hides

Carpentry and other getting pricing fixes now that the iron/steel is being better economy fixed.

Should be done soon.

Brygun

« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2019, 06:32:34 AM »
Update, Major

Major status do to pricing fixes. Many items had the ### of torches but as ptr987 pointed out the game is now using 1/17 that in squirrel hides. Thus those items had hugely overvalued sell rates and have been corrected. The legacy Knitting, Weaving and Armor menus for heavily affected.

I also reviewed values of metal working leading to the now corrected armor prices and am fairly satisfied with the steps from iron working. Each crafting step adding value over the necessary components.

ptr987 Woodworking partially integrated as discussed. See the Toolmaking for the sanding tool. Some minor work in Lumber including now "dried boards" then "sanded board" then "furniture section" conceptually matching his original work. Primarily needing less menu space to fit in the BAC menus. Carpentry has new items using several of the nice graphics he made for us. This gives more multi-tech level carpentry.

Bow making got the update from ptr987. More than simple bows require making and using a Tiller now included.

Note added to the Toolmaking .txt file that axe haft is under carpentry.

The number of free lettered menus for those using other mods remains the same.

As always post any bugs reports, questions or feedback and I will endeavor to address them in time.

In service,

Brygun
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:11:00 PM by Brygun »

fflol

« Reply #320 on: August 29, 2019, 01:54:22 AM »
Brygun you are awesome!

btw I just find out Wooden treasure chest doesn't have a tile
it says [TILEGFX:it-kvass] but there isn't one under truetile

Brygun

« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2019, 04:04:21 AM »
Update

Restores the chest graphic missing from the previous version(s). No other changes.

Kitsune

« Reply #322 on: September 12, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »
wanted to say "thank you" for the work. got back after a long break from urw and my biggest fear was, that all mod's are abandoned. Now i'm happily going to play. xD
100% Fluff. :3

Draxis

« Reply #323 on: September 13, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »
I also just wanted to say thanks! The mod is great and really adds a lot - especially the whole metal working and survival pieces. I just had a quick question about the clinkered punt and various types of transports. What is the point of a clinker craft given the amount of work? It seems like a punt would achieve most of what you want. Is it just something to try to achieve or can it carry more?

Just had two quick requests for you. For the Kota, would you be able to slow us to make a fire pit of sorts? Maybe a smaller and less efficient fireplace that uses only rocks and fewer stones? I have been successful with hunting for once and was thinking of making a tent village of sorts. I really like to be able to smoke meats in my Kota as well if that’s doable l.

And for the fishing rods, I’d suggest removing glue as a requirement. I never make rods because glue is actually pretty hard to make since you need a pot and that takes a kiln - am I missing something or is there a more primitive glue I should use instead?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:55:11 PM by Draxis »

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2019, 06:09:44 AM »
I also just wanted to say thanks! The mod is great and really adds a lot - especially the whole metal working and survival pieces. I just had a quick question about the clinkered punt and various types of transports. What is the point of a clinker craft given the amount of work? It seems like a punt would achieve most of what you want. Is it just something to try to achieve or can it carry more?
I have not finished my clinker ship yet, but my understanding is that the clinker ship can carry much more, with the disadvantage that it cannot be transported over land.  It could also be considered a "prestige project" for a skilled craftsman with ample tools and time.

Kitsune

« Reply #325 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:36 AM »
And for the fishing rods, I’d suggest removing glue as a requirement. I never make rods because glue is actually pretty hard to make since you need a pot and that takes a kiln - am I missing something or is there a more primitive glue I should use instead?

You can make glue very early with using a wooden block pot. ^-^ should be in the lumber menu if i remember right. :3

Edit: By the way, can i use the mod with the fresh update from yesterday or have i to wait for an updated mod?
100% Fluff. :3

klibu

« Reply #326 on: September 16, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
For someone who is not a modder, can you explain a little better how install this mod? The readme text is a little confusing for a lay person. Thanks! I'm excited to play this mod!

Brygun

« Reply #327 on: September 16, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
<<Caution with game update to 3.60 beta>>

Affect of the new 3.60 beta... there is a duplication of the diy_glossary.txt file happening so I dont recommend doing both 3.60 beta and BAC v059 (or prior).

IF you do go the experimental path using both the new release you cold try swapping by renaming the  diy_glossary files as needed. (Im not more specific on the principle if you aren't sure don't try it)

Current BAC menus don't yet integrate the new cord lengths and birch bark. That part I knew was going to be a work chore for managing this mod.

As BAC didnt use fixed letters for menus and at least one menu was added BAC >should< still all fit. If you are using mods in addition to BAC the introduction of a new menu letter might stop being able to fit both at the same time.

@kiibu
Just copy the files into the directory though I would NOT combine 3.60 beta and BAC v059

Re: fishing rod
Remind me to review this in a few weeks. Currently as the block pot will work for heating the pitch it is a doable item. I believe that version of the fishing rod was one brought in by someone else's mod. As fishing methods go the fishing rod is fairly effective so for game balance reason having some middle level technology to do (pitch glue and the block pot) seems reasonable. Basic fishing can still be done by a spear or javelin. In all cases I need to review the fishing rod for the change in cord game code.

Brygun

« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2019, 09:14:50 PM »
Re: Clinker boat

The current game code bases how much will float on a craft by how ## times the weight. Thus making the clinker weigh more means it can carry more. I did make a request to Saami to separate the flotation from the weight. For instance a dug out canoe is a log that displaces water that you take wood out of yet still displaces the same same total combined weight of boat, person and stuff. Thus the dug out should have a better float to weight ratio as the original log.

Currently if you are just do short trips or lots of portages the other punts are the way to go. As mentioned it is indeed intended that the clinker punt, aka a small Viking boat, is a late game item for established crafters to aspire too. As it is too heavy to effectively portage its not a good choice for inland life though will carry much more for coastal inhabitants.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2019, 12:03:58 AM »
I'm building mine on the shores of a large lake system :) Can't wait to ply it through the waves and visit the villages on the other shore, I'm going to finish it once it becomes Spring-time in the game.