Topic: Can i buy healing herbs and seeds somewhere?  (Read 9298 times)

tedomedo

« on: December 17, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
Is there any culture which sells healing herbs and seeds like burdock and heater (to clean my and dog's wounds)? I see in https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Herbs that burdock can be found in settlements. What does it mean? That i can buy it in a village or that it is sown around a village?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:57:13 PM by tedomedo »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
No. You can't buy wild plant seeds. Heather doesn't provide any seeds at all, so you will have to harvest them in the wild where they grow (they're fairly common).

Burdock can probably be found in tiles owned by villages (and thus, taking them is stealing), i.e. farm and pasture ones, but a lot of useful plants can be found on road tiles (and picking plants on roads between villages is perfectly OK. I believe those provide seeds when threshed, and that those seeds can be planted (it's not a plant I use, so I dont keep track of it).

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
Well, the village sages themselves offer free healing. The idea of seeds for sale, though, seems logical. Surely the villages that plant these drops would have seeds available.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »
There's a limited number of types of seeds villages sell, and those are more or less typical crops, not "wild" plants. For those you have to collect the seeds yourself by harvesting the plants and then thresh them (picking leaves/flowers does not provide any seeds).
Villages sell turnip seeds, peas, and broad beans  (which are both the product and the seed), plus barley and rye. I may have missed some plants in that list. I have my characters pick yarrow themselves to get seeds to plant to get seasoning, for instance.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »
Do the villages ever trade for seeds? My experience says 'no'. You'd think sages would be in the market for some herbs, too. Instead, they ask me to find 50-60 of something I can't even identify yet...heh.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Don't know. I've never tried to sell seeds or herbs.

I guess the old men/sages have the planning ability of an average modern day teenager, and so won't act on herb supplies running out until they fail to get what they need...

tedomedo

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
In which regions is burdock? I found healer in roads and farms in Driiki region, but none burdock.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 03:48:16 PM »
The wiki page says Eastern, Western, and Southern. It also lists Clearings, Fields, and Villages, so clearings is the place to find it if you don't want to steal from villages.

Bedlam

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:17:15 AM »
Seeds and herbs are considered unworthy items in trade ("huh, seeds - that is not needed'), or valued very low. But on the other hand, in Driik and Kiesse land you can get hemp seeds almost for the price of the birchbark box they come in. The easiest way to eat hemp seeds without a cookery mod is by boiling them in a pot, small amount at a time.  They can be ground into hemp-flour too if you have patience.

Never seen healing herbs for trade anywhere, but on certain quests people will give you their personal healing potion concoctions that can be used in place of healing herbs for wounds.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:20:04 AM by Bedlam »
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0

Tom H

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 04:39:40 PM »
Funny thing about those quests is that they often seem to be for herbs that are not in season yet.

PALU

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 11:20:40 PM »
Funny thing about those quests is that they often seem to be for herbs that are not in season yet.
Why do you think they're running out ;) ?

There are bugged cases of this quest (reported in the bug section), but much of the time the young leaves can be picked, even though the plants are not yet ripe for harvesting.

Brygun

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 07:40:07 PM »
I am among those wishing we could have herbal gardens at our homesteads.

tedomedo

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
The wiki page says Eastern, Western, and Southern...
Is south-eastern area (driiki zone) is included?

PALU

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 10:19:18 PM »
The Driik territory is to the SW to S (no SE), which means it ought to be both Western and Southern, so I expect that to be the case.

tedomedo

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
My mistake, i meant SW. As i wrote before, i tried to find burdock in driiki zone in october on roads and farms around villages but i didn't find it. Do you have some tips to find it?